News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason McNamara

Re: Canada's Top 100 Golf Courses
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02:14 AM »
Well, bugger.  There's a Pine Ridge in Warkworth, Ontario, and that was the first hit.

In fact, it turns out that apparently every province is required to have a Pine Ridge golf course.  I did not look for Arête des Pins, but it's probably there too.   :)

Glad to see Canadian golf course naming suffers from the same issues as US courses.  Clearly I will need to win the lottery and hire a staff of Canadian fact-checkers.

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2010, 06:54:21 AM »
Dan: Glen Abbey is probably about right at 29. It is a vintage example of architecture from that era and has held up nicely through the years. When the course is firm it's a helluva test.

Will: Royal Ottawa should be on the list, and Ottawa Hunt could be. I haven't played Camelot, but people seem to speak highly of it. Montebello is really cool and should be on the list.

I wouldn't agree that the last 20 in Ontario are interchangeable, although there are some higher on the list that I would gladly trade for Summit, Maple Downs, Thornhill, Lookout Point, Burlington, Cataraqui, Mad River. You can have Kings Forest for Point Grey, but that's my only offer...haven't seen Fraserview to comment.

Tyler: Any update on the new course for Southwood GC in Winnipeg?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »
Matt,

I believe 9 holes were seeded in the fall of 2009, and much construction work was to be completed this summer on the remaining 9. We've have tons of rain this summer, and that can wreck havoc on constructing a golf course is heavy clay soils as it takes so long for the soil to be workable again. I played with a few members at the existing course this year and they were confident in a 2011 opening.

TK

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »
Two important questions:

1) Should it matter whether or not ScoreGolf raters have played some great courses outside of Canada?  Would those experiences not directly influence the ranking of courses in Canada?  And conversely would the lack of "international" exposure impact the rating process?

2) Are the numerical values raters apply to their evaluations not vulnerable to their own preconceived notion of what an 8 out of 10 represents?  For example if I believe 6 out of 10 is very good and the next rater considers it to be average, would my ratings not lower the "average" value for a given course?

Something to think about...

Andrew

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back