News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Mickelson v Norman
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »
I suppose if this thread proves anything at all, it's that with so much difference in the two men's careers - and that probably quite true of any two golfers who weren't in their primes during each other's career - anyone can form an opinion they are sure is watertight because there is too much we could never know.

But somehow find a way to have Norman v Mickelson down the stretch at ANGC and I don't reckon there'd be many people who wouldn't find it compelling viewing.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »

So if Phil ends his career with 6 Masters and 4 PGA's and 50 tour wins he is not better than Greg because Norman won two opens?

I suppose Tom Lehman is better than Phil, after all he has won the Open.  

If Mickelson can win 6 Masters and 4 PGAs, I would consider Mickelson's career as more succesful than Norman.  But that is not his current title count.  With Mickleson's 3 Masters and 1 PGA, with both having wins at the TPC, and with Mickleson having about 50%+ more PGA Tour wins than Norman; Norman gets the edge with 2 Open Championship wins and with dozens of other wins on the Australia, Asia and European Tours.

I would rather have 1 Open Trophy on my shelf as opposed to 2 green jackets or 2 Wanamakers.

Who was better Weiskopf or Dave Stockton; Kite or Crehnshaw?

I bet most people would rank Tom Lehman over Mark Brooks.  But they each won their sole major in 1996.  The one who did not win an Open title has 7 career PGA Tour wins verse only 4 for the guy with the Claret Jug.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:44:29 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
The bulk of Norman's wins came between the prime of Jack and Tiger, he was clearly the dominant player from 1986-1996, yet he only wins two majors. 

Phil has managed to win 4 in the Tiger era, add a US Am, a PGA Tour victory as an amateur, the other tour wins and I can see a real argument for placing him above Greg Norman.  Where would Vijay rank, with three majors in the Tiger era and a slew of other wins?

Did Greg Norman underachieve, especially when viewed against the likes of Trevino, Palmer, Player and Watson who clearly had to deal with Jack for most of their careers yet managed to win more majors than Greg did when he was so dominant?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:09 AM »
The best part of this thread is that the Australians left the argument on page one after a few 'tongue in Cheek' remarks, yet 3 more pages have been added.

It's like starting a fight, then stepping back to watch the carnage. Truly entertaining stuff.

Scott Coan

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
This notion of assigning "ranking points" to Major Championships is a bit nonsensical to me.  Do you really think that Lee Westwood prepares a bit less hard for the Masters then he does the Open Championship?

Certainly each individual player would have their personal favorite, but they all want to win THE NEXT ONE because they only get so many cracks at it in a career.  Those that have won any of them then want to win the others because the eliitist of the elite clubs is the career Grand Slam.

You think Watson would trade a jug for the Wannamaker?  You don't think Shark would tade one of his jugs for the jacket?  Or Arnold one of his jackets for the Wannamaker?  Or Trevino any of his Open titles for a jacket?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:17:09 AM by Scott Coan »

Matt Day

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:57 AM »
The bulk of Norman's wins came between the prime of Jack and Tiger, he was clearly the dominant player from 1986-1996, yet he only wins two majors. 

Phil has managed to win 4 in the Tiger era, add a US Am, a PGA Tour victory as an amateur, the other tour wins and I can see a real argument for placing him above Greg Norman.  Where would Vijay rank, with three majors in the Tiger era and a slew of other wins?

Did Greg Norman underachieve, especially when viewed against the likes of Trevino, Palmer, Player and Watson who clearly had to deal with Jack for most of their careers yet managed to win more majors than Greg did when he was so dominant?

Norman wasn't playing against chumps in the US or Europe either....Faldo, Ballesteros, Woosnam, Lyle , Montgomery, Langer, Olazabel, Strange, Couples, Price, Pavin etc etc were pretty handy adversaries. He also managed to being leading money winner three times in that period as well

David_Elvins

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2010, 02:38:23 AM »
Whilst Mickelson has a lot of US Tour wins, many of them don''t stand up to scrutiny, unlike Norman's wins in prestigious event such as the Memorial, World Championship of Golf, Doral Open, and Canadian Open (golf's seventh major) etc.  To summarise Mickelson's "victories":

The 04, 06, and 10 Masters were limited field events with little more than a third of the serious competitors seen in other majors.  
the Masters field was however bigger than the 2000 and 2009 Tour championship.
And lets not forget the 94 and 98 Mercedes Chapionships where the field was even smaller.  

And what about the exhibitions played on multiple courses?
02 and 04 Bob Hope Classics, nothing more than a pre-season warm up event.  
98 and 05 Pebble Beach Pro-Am, a Pro Am, enough said.  
wins in 91, 95 and 96 in Tuscon, an event so prestigious that it was played on two courses, then later concurrently with the Accenture Matchplay.  Of course Phil never won after it went to a single course event in 97.

Or limited field events with kooky scoring?
93 and 97 wins at  The International - Modified stableford format.  Ha!

Or other warm up events?
2000, 2005 and 2006 Bell South Classic wins were played the week before the Masters.  hardly a strong field there whilst everyone else is preparing for the Masters.
96 and 2005 wins at the Phoenix Open - another January warm up event which is more about partying than golf.  

Or events in his backyard?
93, 2000 and 2003 Buick Invitational played in San Diego.  If you don't count Norman's wins in Australia you can't count Mickelson winning at his home course.  

So in summary, when you take out phil's 9 wins in limited field events, 7 wins in multi course exhibitions, 2 wins in modified stableford exhibitions, 3 wins at the Bellsouth masters warm up and 3 wins at his home course,  and you are left with the following:

2 wins at Riviera
1 win at Sawgrass
1 win at the Deutche Bank
2 wins at Colonial
2 wins at the Greater Harford Open
1 win at Bay Hill
1 PGA

So that leaves you with 10 real tour events, the type of high profile event that Norman was playing in his time on the PGA Tour.  Mickelson's padded out record just doesn't stack up.  Norman just didn't have the chance or inclination to play so many events in the US that didn't matter, the way that phil has.

And don't even get me started on Norman's ability to win on different types of courses.  People in the US might poo-poo Norman's win in the 1979 Traralgon Classic just because it wasn't on the "PGA TOUR" but it proves that Greg has the ability to adjust his game and win at different types of courses.  I live 1 hour from traralgon and I can't even adjust my game to score well at Traralgon, what hope does Phil have, coming form the other side of the world?  

Good players win in all sorts of conditions and on all sorts of courses.  Norman did this.  Mickelson wins pre-season and limted field events in the US.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:45:13 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
And don't even get me started on Norman's ability to win on different types of courses.  People in the US might poo-poo Norman's win in the 1979 Traralgon Classic just because it wasn't on the "PGA TOUR" but it proves that Greg has the ability to adjust his game and win at different types of courses.  I live 1 hour from traralgon and I can't even adjust my game to score well at Traralgon, what hope does Phil have, coming form the other side of the world?  

Phil has never even bothered to turn up to Traralgon.

Obviously too scared.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
I put Norman's victory at Sawgrass as a greater feat than any of the 4 Phil majors.

Better field and Norman's play was parallel to Tiger's 12 stroke drubbing at the '97 Masters.

Do you folks remember that wonderful recap in Sports Ill by Bamburger of Norman's '94 win at TPC?  The article started something like this....

"He smashed the Players Championship record by 4 strokes; he never bogied a hole; he missed but 3 fairways in all rounds; he had 22 one putts and no three putts;   and he lost to Greg Norman by 6 strokes!"

Of course Michael was using Fuzzy's brilliant play to show what an other-worldly tournament Greg had.

JC

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »

Agreed, I am just saying Norman didn't close the deal in majors (save 2) when he was clearly the dominant player in the world.

Norman wasn't playing against chumps in the US or Europe either....Faldo, Ballesteros, Woosnam, Lyle , Montgomery, Langer, Olazabel, Strange, Couples, Price, Pavin etc etc were pretty handy adversaries. He also managed to being leading money winner three times in that period as well

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Whilst Mickelson has a lot of US Tour wins, many of them don''t stand up to scrutiny, unlike Norman's wins in prestigious event such as the Memorial, World Championship of Golf, Doral Open, and Canadian Open (golf's seventh major) etc.  To summarise Mickelson's "victories":

The 04, 06, and 10 Masters were limited field events with little more than a third of the serious competitors seen in other majors.  
And lets not forget the 94 and 98 Mercedes Chapionships where the field was even smaller.  

Good players win in all sorts of conditions and on all sorts of courses.  Norman did this.  Mickelson wins pre-season and limted field events in the US.

David,

How did Norman fare at that limited field event in Augusta with a third serious competition in 1996?

jeffwarne

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »

So if Phil ends his career with 6 Masters and 4 PGA's and 50 tour wins he is not better than Greg because Norman won two opens?

If Mickelson can win 6 Masters and 4 PGAs, I would consider Mickelson's career as more succesful than Norman.  But that is not his current title count.  With Mickleson's 3 Masters and 1 PGA, with both having wins at the TPC, and with Mickleson having about 50%+ more PGA Tour wins than Norman; Norman gets the edge with 2 Open Championship wins and with dozens of other wins on the Australia, Asia and European Tours.

I would rather have 1 Open Trophy on my shelf as opposed to 2 green jackets or 2 Wanamakers.

I bet most people would rank Tom Lehman over Mark Brooks.  But they each won their sole major in 1996.  The one who did not win an Open title has 7 career PGA Tour wins verse only 4 for the guy with the Claret Jug.

Got it.
Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton over Curtis Strange, Lee Janzen.

Never heard a player or announcer say "The Masters win gets him into the Open!"

Are you kidding when you say Mickelson needs 10 majors to eclipse Norman's 2?
Although Norman did win the 54 hole version of the grand slam in 1986!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
Sorry, its 4 for Phil and 2 for Greg.  The other stuff is fluff that decides tie breakers. In 50 years nobody will care about X amount of Walmart victories.  Granted, I think Phil's wins are the secondary majors, but Greg didn't do enough to pass 4 total. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »

If Mickelson can win 6 Masters and 4 PGAs, I would consider Mickelson's career as more succesful than Norman.  But that is not his current title count.  With Mickleson's 3 Masters and 1 PGA, with both having wins at the TPC, and with Mickleson having about 50%+ more PGA Tour wins than Norman; Norman gets the edge with 2 Open Championship wins and with dozens of other wins on the Australia, Asia and European Tours.

I bet most people would rank Tom Lehman over Mark Brooks.  But they each won their sole major in 1996.  The one who did not win an Open title has 7 career PGA Tour wins verse only 4 for the guy with the Claret Jug.

Got it.
Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton over Curtis Strange, Lee Janzen.

Never heard a player or announcer say "The Masters win gets him into the Open!"

Are you kidding when you say Mickelson needs 10 majors to eclipse Norman's 2?
Although Norman did win the 54 hole version of the grand slam in 1986!

Let me try to clarify where my words were imprecise.

First off, when I refer to wins or success in “an Open” or “Opens” I am referring to both the U.S. Open and The Open Championship as conducted by the USGA and the R&A respectively.

Next, I never said Mickelson needs 10 majors to eclipse Norman's 2 Open Championships.  I just think that based on each player's current respective records, that the absence of Mickelson having a win at either the US Open or The Open Championship leaves a gap in his career record.  Mark Pritchett offered the example of if “Mickelson can win 6 Masters and 4 PGAs" and I responded how I would personally view that type of record.

Also, I did not intend to construe that I consider a win in The Open Championship to be superior to a win in the US Open when I personally evaluate a career.  Although I did state I personally would most desire a win in The Open Championship; when it comes to evaluating a players career success, I personally consider those two Opens to be equal.  Therefore, Curtis Strange's 2 US Opens would to me indicate a more successful career than the single Open Championships by either Ben Curtis or Lee Janzen.  (And of course for many other reasons, I personally think that Strange had a more successful career than has Ben Curtis to this date.)

Of course I also do not view a player's career on any singular basis.  Rather I view career success by evaluating all factors: total wins of all tournaments, total wins in majors, level of quality of tours were wins were achieved, longevity, success in significant events (Ryder Cups, TPC, perhaps the FedEx Cup in the future, etc.), dominance factor during that player's career, any limitations forced on a player (early death by Lema & Stewart, war years cancelling some tournaments, Bobby Locke being shunned by the US pros, etc.).  There is no secret formula; this is just a fun exercise.

Two examples show how the big picture can trump success in majors.

First, Colin Montgomerie verse either Tom Lehman or John Daly.  I personally consider Montgomerie as the better and more successful golfer as opposed to either Lehman or Daly.  The records or all three are well known so no reason to list them.  Of course this is only my personal opinion.  However, with all of Montgomerie’s career successes, even just won major win would cause him to jump much higher in my personal rankings, and at least one US Open or Open Championship would even do more for my evaluations.

Second, Weiskopf verse North or Moody, or Kite verse Janzen.  Personally I would consider Weiskopf and Kite above North or Moody or Janzen.  This does not mean I denigrate any player who has ever won any single Open.  Andy North has two U.S. Opens to his name.  That is a supreme achievement that no one can take away from him or belittle because of limited other achievements.  Same with Todd Hamilton.

I appreciate that once a golfer turns pro, much of the romance of some certain titles is likely reduced and that the initial goal is likely making a good living for self and family.  But I do imagine that there must be a certain joy in some specific achievements at the end of the career.  Also, once a player reaches the status of an Els or Mickelson, it is safe to presume that the concern per a good living has been taken care of, and that those players can then strive for some specific career goals beyond just keeping their playing status.

I do not beguile any golfer who decides that his goals in golf are secondary to other goals in life off the course, or away from competitive tournaments.  However, I am not trying to judge which golfer is the “better man”.  How could I ever consider judging another person, much less a stranger?  I am only participating in a little fun escape of ranking a golfer’s success as a tournament golfer.

Some may consider "ranking golfers" as a futile exercise, but this thread is all about who we each consider the better between the two.  This thread is for those who consider "ranking golfers" as a fun escape.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:12:19 AM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Sean Leary

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

And what about the exhibitions played on multiple courses?
02 and 04 Bob Hope Classics, nothing more than a pre-season warm up event.  
98 and 05 Pebble Beach Pro-Am, a Pro Am, enough said.  
wins in 91, 95 and 96 in Tuscon, an event so prestigious that it was played on two courses, then later concurrently with the Accenture Matchplay.  Of course Phil never won after it went to a single course event in 97.

Or limited field events with kooky scoring?
93 and 97 wins at  The International - Modified stableford format.  Ha!

Or other warm up events?
2000, 2005 and 2006 Bell South Classic wins were played the week before the Masters.  hardly a strong field there whilst everyone else is preparing for the Masters.
96 and 2005 wins at the Phoenix Open - another January warm up event which is more about partying than golf.  

Or events in his backyard?
93, 2000 and 2003 Buick Invitational played in San Diego.  If you don't count Norman's wins in Australia you can't count Mickelson winning at his home course.  

So in summary, when you take out phil's 9 wins in limited field events, 7 wins in multi course exhibitions, 2 wins in modified stableford exhibitions, 3 wins at the Bellsouth masters warm up and 3 wins at his home course,  and you are left with the following:

2 wins at Riviera
1 win at Sawgrass
1 win at the Deutche Bank
2 wins at Colonial
2 wins at the Greater Harford Open
1 win at Bay Hill
1 PGA

So that leaves you with 10 real tour events, the type of high profile event that Norman was playing in his time on the PGA Tour.  Mickelson's padded out record just doesn't stack up.  Norman just didn't have the chance or inclination to play so many events in the US that didn't matter, the way that phil has.

I heard about that Traralgon Classic in 1979. What a come back!

Kenny Baer

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
David,

That email is pretty funny. Surely you jest, talk about making the numbers fit your case regardless of what the numbers actually say. You must be an accountant, that is one way to make 1+1 =3.

You mention top quality tour events and then go on to say that those don't count; because we are not counting Norman's win at the Austrailian Masters; with maybe 5-10 of the top 50 in the world; or the world match play with only 16 players. 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
A few other notable players have been thrown into this discussion, so I'll offer this opinion: Trevino was better than Palmer.

I don't think you can totally discount eras. Palmer thrived between Hogan and Nicklaus, while Trevino won in the heart of the Nicklaus era. The raw stats say Palmer won seven majors and Trevino won six. Eras aside, Lee's wins seem a bit more impressive -- two U.S. Opens to one for Palmer, two PGAs to none for Palmer, while each won two Open Championships. Palmer's case rests on the four Masters wins -- victories which also established his brand as golf's most charismatic player just as TV was discovering golf.

I understand why Arnold is the King, but Trevino, to me, was the superior player.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
Sorry, its 4 for Phil and 2 for Greg. 

I dont buy this type of rudimentary number comparison.

By that notion - Larry Nelson could be considered better than Norman ? Harrington better than Miller ?

For mine it's more than just number of wins ?

Trent Dixon

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:28 PM »
If we're going into hypotheticals, and comparing eras, lets just give Phil the ball and driver (equivalent left handed version) Norman used and see how he would have gone... and conversely lets give Norman the driver and balls of today and see what happens. Those awful shots under the pump that Norman hit will likely be half as bad/far off line as they were, and Phil's erratic driving along with longer approaches into greens just might not be quite so straight forward as they now are...Just some food for thought. This is why you really can't compare eras, there's too many variables.

jeffwarne

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
I put Norman's victory at Sawgrass as a greater feat than any of the 4 Phil majors.

Better field and Norman's play was parallel to Tiger's 12 stroke drubbing at the '97 Masters.

Do you folks remember that wonderful recap in Sports Ill by Bamburger of Norman's '94 win at TPC?  The article started something like this....

"He smashed the Players Championship record by 4 strokes; he never bogied a hole; he missed but 3 fairways in all rounds; he had 22 one putts and no three putts;   and he lost to Greg Norman by 6 strokes!"

Of course Michael was using Fuzzy's brilliant play to show what an other-worldly tournament Greg had.

JC

If Masters titles are won over limited fields and are therefore easier to win, how can Norman be considered better than Mickelson if HE NEVER WON ONE?
I mean if we were comparing a player from before 1934, I'd get it, but Norman played in 20ish Masters against those same limited fields
AND NEVER WON!
The reason Norman won the TPC is it wasn't a major,he knew it, and therefore he didn't choke as he did in The Masters many times.
Still one of my favorite players and it kills me he never won The Masters ( I know he'd trade one Open for The Masters, and I'd bet both)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
Here is a list of the 23 players with 4 or more majors.    

Jack Nicklaus - 18
Tiger Woods - 14
Walter Hagen - 11
Ben Hogan - 9
Gary Player - 9
Tom Watson - 8
Bobby Jones - 7
Arnold Palmer - 7
Gene Sarazen - 7
Sam Snead - 7
Harry Vardon - 7
Nick Faldo - 6
Lee Trevino - 6
Seve Ballesteros - 5
James Braid - 5
Byron Nelson - 5
J.H. Taylor - 5
Peter Thomson - 5
Willie Anderson Jr. - 4
Jim Barnes - 4
Raymond Floyd - 4
Bobby Locke - 4
Phil Mickelson - 4
Tom Morris Jr. - 4

Pretty good company.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
I cannot buy this argument that the Masters' limited field makes it less of an accomplishment to win than an Open or the PGA or the TPC.

The top 50 show up at all of these events. Virtually anyone who has won anything on the PGA for the past year or two will be there as well. At that point, I simply don't care about how "strong" the rest of the field is. Sure, sometimes those lower tier guys come through and win at the PGA. But is anyone going to make a legitimate argument that Phil's win this past weekend is worth less because he didn't beat Kevin Stadler or Vaughn Taylor?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
Here is a list of the 23 players with 4 or more majors.    

Jack Nicklaus - 18
Tiger Woods - 14
Walter Hagen - 11
Ben Hogan - 9
Gary Player - 9
Tom Watson - 8
Bobby Jones - 7
Arnold Palmer - 7
Gene Sarazen - 7
Sam Snead - 7
Harry Vardon - 7
Nick Faldo - 6
Lee Trevino - 6
Seve Ballesteros - 5
James Braid - 5
Byron Nelson - 5
J.H. Taylor - 5
Peter Thomson - 5
Willie Anderson Jr. - 4
Jim Barnes - 4
Raymond Floyd - 4
Bobby Locke - 4
Phil Mickelson - 4
Tom Morris Jr. - 4

Pretty good company.

Mark

Don't Morris-Snr / Park-Snr / Travis's Majors count ? I believe you are referrring to Pro. majors.

Scott Coan

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
Shark certainly had it within him to be considered one of the greatest of all time.  The guy LOST each and every major in a playoff, all to far lesser players.  If he closes the deal in those tourneys and doesn't melt in Faldo's presence at the Masters and ekes out victory in a couple of other majors where he was damn close he could very well have 8 majors to his credit and we wouldn't even be having this debate.

Instead he is considered one of the more tragic players of all time because hs game could not hold up when he most needed it.  Every great player lets a few slip through their fingers, but Norman made a career of it.

Mark_F

« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
But is anyone going to make a legitimate argument that Phil's win this past weekend is worth less because he didn't beat Kevin Stadler or Vaughn Taylor?

Absolutely.

Kevin Stadler is a big hitter, perfect for the one dimensional Augusta National.  His Dad won one, so it is obviously in the blood.

And Phil didn't have to beat Monty, either. Or Stuart Appleby. They surely deserve more of a chance than Sandy Lyle or Zack Johnson.

Still, maybe their managers advised them against doing too many exhibitions?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back