News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

Re: Mickelson v Norman
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
Thanks for clearing that one up  :)
2nd Playoff hole of 86 Masters - Norman safely on green in two.
2nd playoff hole of 90 Masters - Faldo safely on the green in two.

Which of the two was luckier?

go on, enlighten me.....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Thanks for clearing that one up  :)
2nd Playoff hole of 86 Masters - Norman safely on green in two.
2nd playoff hole of 90 Masters - Faldo safely on the green in two.

Which of the two was luckier?

Golf is a game of getting it in the hole, not getting "safely on the green in two". If it were the latter Ben Hogan might have won more majors than Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods combined.

By your reckoning, if you hit your second shot to four feet and I hit mine to twenty then I make my putt and you miss that's luck and should not be held against you. Remind me never to play you for money.

David_Elvins

« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
I suspect that some on here are pulling my leg trying to get a rise.  there is no other explanation for the compete lunacy of these posts, especially from a respectable seasoned campaigner such as Mr Hutto. 

I think i might ignore them in an attempt to maintain my belief that Golf Club Atlas is made up of intelligent and thoughtful contributors. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »
Hint, when your argument devolves into calling those who disagree with you lunatics it's probably time to reconsider the argument.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

Golf is a game of getting it in the hole, not getting "safely on the green in two". If it were the latter Ben Hogan might have won more majors than Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods combined.

Brent:

That's okay.  Hogan has already been dismissed from this debate ... I don't think he ever won in Australia, so obviously his record is misleading.  ;)

I am having a tough time following the posts but as far as I can tell, there is still nobody outside Australia voting for the Shark in this debate.  As for how they do their accounting, I can tell you from experience, it's tough to get paid in Australia.

Scott Warren

« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
We only need to look back at last year's Masters for the ultimate pearl of wisdom.

"Great players make it happen. And your average players don't" - Kenny Perry.

Maybe if our next batch of players had come on a bit better, most Aussie fans wouldn't still be so filthy about The Shark's Major Championships fate.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »

Ahh Jeff - my argument was simply that Norman's 94 TPC victory was a more impressive feat than any of Phil's 4 majors. 

Phil beat Tiger while Tiger was in the hunt in at least two of those majors. How many majors did Greg beat Tiger in?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
I suspect that some on here are pulling my leg trying to get a rise. 

I was thinking the same thing about our Aussie friends.. :)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »

Brent:

That's okay.  Hogan has already been dismissed from this debate ... I don't think he ever won in Australia, so obviously his record is misleading.  ;)

I am having a tough time following the posts but as far as I can tell, there is still nobody outside Australia voting for the Shark in this debate.  As for how they do their accounting, I can tell you from experience, it's tough to get paid in Australia.

TD - I guess I need to learn how to put an Aussie accent on my posts...   ;)

David_Elvins

« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
Hint, when your argument devolves into calling those who disagree with you lunatics it's probably time to reconsider the argument.
Brent,

If you are serious, here you go.

The premise of the argument is that in the game of golf, there are things that a player cannot control. 

Sometimes this is the shot of the opponent.  Sometimes this is effect the wind and ground has on the ball between leaving the club and reaching its final destination.

In general, these elements of luck will balance out over a players career, however, there will always be some players who recieve mroe than their fair share of luck and those that receive less.  Although we are not able to directly measure 'luck' it would make sense that their is a general bell curve distribution of luck, amongst professional golfers with most golfers recieving close to their fair share of luck, but some golfers recieving more or less than their fair share of luck. 

when measuring the amount of luck a player has it would make sense that the bigger your sample size, the closer a player would be toards the mean.  So for example, to take every shot of every players career, you would have a lot of players bunched very close to the mean. 

However, some on here want to judge a player on the number of majors they have won.  This is a far smaller sample than taking into account every shot of every player's career.  An elite golfer such as Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, or Phil Mickelson might be in serious contention for 10-15 Major tournaments in their life.  So all of a sudden the sample size has gotten very small (I have seen red come up fifteen times in a row on roulette and its not because red 'knows' how to win, it is statistical variance) and the playing population is going to be spread out further from the mean with a lot more dramatic outliers. 

Whilst we can not measure all luck directly, it is my contention that, based on a series of witnessed events with roughly estimated odds of occurance, that Greg Norman was far unluckier than Nick Faldo in major championships. 

To take one example:
In the 1987 Masters and the 1990 Masters, both Greg Norman and Nick Fald found themselves in a similar position.  Both had managed to combine skill with an element of luck to make it to the 2nd playoff hole.  Both started to play the hole in a simlar manner,  hitting the putting surface safely in two shots, no easy feat on such a hole.   At this point their fortunes differed considerably.  and in neither instance was either event controlled or even controllable by either player:

In the 1986 Masters, Larry Mize was approximately 120 feet away from the hole.    He hit the perfect shot and it went in the hole.  But, what are the odds of a perfect shot going in the hole  from 120 feet, the last 60 or so, bouncing and rolling along the ground?  Dave Pelz tells us that at the end of the day, even a pefectly struck 12 foot putt has a 35-60% chance of going in the hole.  From 120 feet you are looking at more like somewhere in between 100/1 and 200/1.  If on its first bounce, Mize's shot had bounced at an angle of 0.0000185 degrees to the left or right than what it did, then all other things being equal it misses the pin and is in the water.  great shot. Yes. lucky shot. yes.    (if you disagree with any of the odds I list, you are welcome to offer what you believe the odds of the event happenning is.)

In the 1990 masters, Ray Floyd dunked his second shot in the water, practically handing victory to faldo.  What are the odds of this event happenning.  Whilst it is hard to predict, I struggle to believe that, based on years of watching golfers play that hole, and golfer play other playoff holes,  it could be any less than say 10/1.

So, by comparing the outcomes of Faldo and Norman it can be concluded that on this occasion Faldo recieved more luck than Norman when both facing similar situations. 

Your counter argument was stated thus

By your reckoning, if you hit your second shot to four feet and I hit mine to twenty then I make my putt and you miss that's luck and should not be held against you. Remind me never to play you for money.

I believe that your argument is flawed in the following ways:

your argument that golf is a game of getting the ball in the hole, not getting safely in the hole in two is correct.  However it is not relevant to the argument.  my argument described only the shots played onto the green by norman and faldo because it was at this point, once they reached the green that their fortunes differred, with events outside their control. It is not my premise that any player deserves to win by making a green in regulation or that making a green in regulation is a worthy task in itself.  it was at this point in both playoffs, before either hit a putt, that the playoff was effectively over. 

I also do not believe that your statement below in anyway fairly summarises my argument
By your reckoning, if you hit your second shot to four feet and I hit mine to twenty then I make my putt and you miss that's luck and should not be held against you. Remind me never to play you for money." 
you have reduced my argument from one that included many factors outside a players control to a four foot putt and a 20 foot putt,

Based on some sketchy figures provided by pelz and PGA tour stats we could reasonably estimate that the odds of a perfectly struck 4 foot putt going into the hole to be somewehre in the vicinity of 95-97%.  And we could likewise assume that the odds of a perfectly struck  20 foot putt going in the hole is somewhere in the vicinity of 20%-60%, depending on wear and tear of the green. 

So the two shots you mention are relatively devoid of luck, meaning they are not comparable to an event such as Larry Mize holing a chip shot or Gren Norman missing a 35 foot putt. 

Whilst some such as Mark Prichard will parrott statements such as "Winners Win, period, They find away"  the realiity is that this is a revisionist approach perpetuated by the right wing sports media who love to frame stories in a extreme and unrealistic manner where winners and loser both 'get what they deserve'.  If however you move past the superfical, dramatic storytelling led by the media, you get a different reality. 

Both Norman and faldo were in contention in a dozen or so majors.  During this time their were several incidents that involved a degree of luck far outside the norm and uncommon in Majors golf.  Invariably, those that Faldo was involved in, favoured faldo, and those that norman were invovled in, favoured his opponent.  it is normal for this sort of statistical variance to occurr when taking such a small sample size and it therefor  can be misleading to rate golfers solely on "number of majors won" when the number of majors competed in is small.

(On a related note, obviously, majors won by big margins are less susceptible to luck and players who are in contention in a lot more majors have a bigger sample size and therefor major wins are a more accurate representation of their standing in the game.)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David_Elvins

« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
I am having a tough time following this thread too but from what I can gather, if you didn't get paid, it is your own fault. The actions of others should not be factored into consideration.  :)

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »
In  regard to luck, I remember being very impressed with Mickelson's take after his Saturday round.

He was asked about having a mudball that resulted in a terrible second shot into #10 and a subsequent bogey. He basically said he had a bit of bad luck there in getting a mudball but that you don't expect to hole out a shot like he later did at #14 and so in the end it all evens out.

That's a great attitude to have toward golf. Goodness knows Sergio would benefit from taking that attitude a bit more often.

Then again, I don't ever recall Norman blaming his lost opportunities on bad luck. Just his defenders.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »

To take one example:
In the 1987 Masters and the 1990 Masters, both Greg Norman and Nick Fald found themselves in a similar position.  Both had managed to combine skill with an element of luck to make it to the 2nd playoff hole.  Both started to play the hole in a simlar manner,  hitting the putting surface safely in two shots, no easy feat on such a hole.   At this point their fortunes differed considerably.  and in neither instance was either event controlled or even controllable by either player:

In the 1986 Masters, Larry Mize was approximately 120 feet away from the hole.    He hit the perfect shot and it went in the hole.  But, what are the odds of a perfect shot going in the hole  from 120 feet, the last 60 or so, bouncing and rolling along the ground?  Dave Pelz tells us that at the end of the day, even a pefectly struck 12 foot putt has a 35-60% chance of going in the hole.  From 120 feet you are looking at more like somewhere in between 100/1 and 200/1.  If on its first bounce, Mize's shot had bounced at an angle of 0.0000185 degrees to the left or right than what it did, then all other things being equal it misses the pin and is in the water.  great shot. Yes. lucky shot. yes.    (if you disagree with any of the odds I list, you are welcome to offer what you believe the odds of the event happenning is.)

In the 1990 masters, Ray Floyd dunked his second shot in the water, practically handing victory to faldo.  What are the odds of this event happenning.  Whilst it is hard to predict, I struggle to believe that, based on years of watching golfers play that hole, and golfer play other playoff holes,  it could be any less than say 10/1.

So, by comparing the outcomes of Faldo and Norman it can be concluded that on this occasion Faldo recieved more luck than Norman when both facing similar situations. 

Luck or maybe the person playing better on Sunday hit the "lucky" shots, as Mize scored 71 to Norman's 72 and Faldo 69 to Floyd's 72.

Dan King

« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
David_Elvins writes:

No doubt. Faldo was very lucky to be in second to Norman at the 1996 Masters rather than some other golfer who knew what to do with a Sunday lead.

Cheers,
Dan King
My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery people would stop dying.
  --Ed Furgol

Brent Hutto

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Acknowledging that random occurrences are part of golf is one thing. Using that fact to discount the cumulative result of a lifetime's worth of tournament golf is quite another. Larry Mize didn't play that shot with a blindfold on after being spun around until he was dizzy. He made his best effort to get it in the hole and he succeeded. I can't agree with any tortured line of reasoning that treats his hole-out as anything other than a direct outcome of playing the shot well.

If one stroke earlier Norman had holed out from the fairway, would you not count that as a major-championship victory? Of course you would, it would have been a spectacular shot. Yet more unlikely than Mize's 120-footer.

You can't account for random occurrences in a golf tournament. Do you go all the way back to the first round when the eventual winner had a ball hit a tree and bounce into the fairway? Does that count against him more or less than the putt he had the next day that hit a spike mark and missed the hole?

What you are doing is imputing disproportionate meaning to the most memorable random events in Norman's career. Those are typically things like chip-ins or long putts in playoffs. But in reality (unwarped by selective recall) those events are no more or less important than the tens of thousands of other random events over the course of a career. If a guy got chipped in on a couple times on Friday then lost by two strokes on Sunday then he just came up short. But if one chip-in decides the tournament on the final day he was robbed. Nonsense!

Everyone receives the same amount of lucky bounces on the part of their competition or bad breaks on their own ball. What is unevenly distributed are the shots that are played and replayed over and over on TV or talked about years later. Those random breaks represent a tiny fraction of a percent of the random events that influenced Greg Norman's career. The fact that you can clearly remember a handful of them does not mean he's a choker nor does it mean he really won four or five majors instead of two. It just means he was involved in several meaningful odd happenings over the course of his career.

Phil McDade

« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »
"Acknowledging that random occurrences are part of golf is one thing...."

Rather than quoting the entirety of Brent's post, I'll just suggest this it is the single smartest observation made on this thread.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »

Whilst some such as Mark Prichard will parrott statements such as "Winners Win, period, They find away"  the realiity is that this is a revisionist approach perpetuated by the right wing sports media who love to frame stories in a extreme and unrealistic manner where winners and loser both 'get what they deserve'.  If however you move past the superfical, dramatic storytelling led by the media, you get a different reality. 

Not to threadjack but I have never heard the phrase "right wing sports media".  Is this a term used in Australia?  Certainly in North America the idea of "right wing sports media" is laughable.  The vast majority probably have little to no idea about politics and the few that do, I am fairly certain, would tip to the left.  I agree media "love to frame stories in an extreme and unrealistic manner" but that has much more to do with selling advertising than an ideological bias.

I look forward to understanding your comment.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Pat Burke

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
Monty?
he's never won on US soil!!!!!!!!!!!!
and you would consider him a contender at The Masters???
The Masters is played on US Soil.

Zack Johnson has a recent win there.
Sandy has a win there so he's earned a chance

If it's such a weak field ,how come Monty has never won it?

Jeff,

And Phil has never won on Australian soil. 

No player can consider himself good unless he has.  I am sure even Pat Burke attempted to qualify for the Traralgon Open, but missed out due to the strength of the field.

Monty never won in the USA because it was too easy for him, and the man thrives on a challenge, that is why he played in Europe, Asia and Australia, where conditions play such a part in determining who really has mental strength, unlike the US PGA Tour, which might as well be played indoors, for all of the difference between courses and climactic conditions.

Monty won the European money list seven years in a row, displaying remarkable consistency over a long period of time. 

Phil merely displays a lot of luck, much like that other triple Masters winner, Nick Faldo, who can consider himself extremely fortunate to have three Masters exhibitions beside his three Open championships.

Six is a lot more than two, but luck proves that even Faldo doesn't come close to the Shark.

3 putted the last to miss by 1 :'(    Pressure got to me
finished 17th in the TPC that year though, clearly showing the difficulty in Aus ;)

Gareth Williams

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:08 PM »

Good point, well made.

(gosh this straight jacket is awfully restrictive when typing...)

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
Not to threadjack but I have never heard the phrase "right wing sports media".  Is this a term used in Australia? 
Dale,

This is a very common term in Australia, although it generally refers to what hand you hold your beer in. I probably hear it 6 or 7 times a day – Right Wing sports media (a sports journalist who hold his beer in his right hand while presenting sport), Right Wing kindergarten teacher ( a kindergarten teacher who holds her beer in her right hand while teaching), Right Wing AA councilor ( an AA councilor who holds his beer in his right hand while running AA meetings).

I hear it as much as I hear “throw another shrimp on the Barbie”.

David_Elvins

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »
Not to threadjack but I have never heard the phrase "right wing sports media".  Is this a term used in Australia?  

I don't have the reference information at hand but it I have read a couple of studies/articles that have concluded that the (American) sports media is right wing.  (I dont mean that they support the republican party, but they support right wings values.  Examples include the fact that GENERALLY:
-They support the idea that people are responsible for their actions.
-They support a black and white world of winners and losers where to the winners go the spoils.  
-They (and this is generally a American phenomonom) do not support underdogs, preferring to see sporting dynasties created by teams/players winning multiple titles.  
-they have no interest in supporting an equal league where every team has an equal chance of winning.
-they do not object to the high salaries paid to American sports stars.  

thiat is from memonry so there are a few points I may have missed but generally the spots media follows right wing principles.  there is nothing neccessarily wrong with this however it does sometimes give a misguided view, particularly as I stated, in ignoring elements of luck.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:05:35 PM by David_Elvins »

jeffwarne

« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
Brent,

If you are serious, here you go.

The premise of the argument is that in the game of golf, there are things that a player cannot control. 

Sometimes this is the shot of the opponent.  Sometimes this is effect the wind and ground has on the ball between leaving the club and reaching its final destination.

In general, these elements of luck will balance out over a players career, however, there will always be some players who recieve mroe than their fair share of luck and those that receive less.  Although we are not able to directly measure 'luck' it would make sense that their is a general bell curve distribution of luck, amongst professional golfers with most golfers recieving close to their fair share of luck, but some golfers recieving more or less than their fair share of luck. 

when measuring the amount of luck a player has it would make sense that the bigger your sample size, the closer a player would be toards the mean.  So for example, to take every shot of every players career, you would have a lot of players bunched very close to the mean. 

However, some on here want to judge a player on the number of majors they have won.  This is a far smaller sample than taking into account every shot of every player's career.  An elite golfer such as Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, or Phil Mickelson might be in serious contention for 10-15 Major tournaments in their life.  So all of a sudden the sample size has gotten very small (I have seen red come up fifteen times in a row on roulette and its not because red 'knows' how to win, it is statistical variance) and the playing population is going to be spread out further from the mean with a lot more dramatic outliers. 

Whilst we can not measure all luck directly, it is my contention that, based on a series of witnessed events with roughly estimated odds of occurance, that Greg Norman was far unluckier than Nick Faldo in major championships. 

To take one example:

Your counter argument was stated thus

I believe that your argument is flawed in the following ways:

your argument that golf is a game of getting the ball in the hole, not getting safely in the hole in two is correct.  However it is not relevant to the argument.  my argument described only the shots played onto the green by norman and faldo because it was at this point, once they reached the green that their fortunes differred, with events outside their control. It is not my premise that any player deserves to win by making a green in regulation or that making a green in regulation is a worthy task in itself.  it was at this point in both playoffs, before either hit a putt, that the playoff was effectively over. 

I also do not believe that your statement below in anyway fairly summarises my argument
By your reckoning, if you hit your second shot to four feet and I hit mine to twenty then I make my putt and you miss that's luck and should not be held against you. Remind me never to play you for money." 
you have reduced my argument from one that included many factors outside a players control to a four foot putt and a 20 foot putt,

Based on some sketchy figures provided by pelz and PGA tour stats we could reasonably estimate that the odds of a perfectly struck 4 foot putt going into the hole to be somewehre in the vicinity of 95-97%.  And we could likewise assume that the odds of a perfectly struck  20 foot putt going in the hole is somewhere in the vicinity of 20%-60%, depending on wear and tear of the green. 

So the two shots you mention are relatively devoid of luck, meaning they are not comparable to an event such as Larry Mize holing a chip shot or Gren Norman missing a 35 foot putt. 

Both Norman and faldo were in contention in a dozen or so majors.  During this time their were several incidents that involved a degree of luck far outside the norm and uncommon in Majors golf.  Invariably, those that Faldo was involved in, favoured faldo, and those that norman were invovled in, favoured his opponent.  it is normal for this sort of statistical variance to occurr when taking such a small sample size and it therefor  can be misleading to rate golfers solely on "number of majors won" when the number of majors competed in is small.

(On a related note, obviously, majors won by big margins are less susceptible to luck and players who are in contention in a lot more majors have a bigger sample size and therefor major wins are a more accurate representation of their standing in the game.)

David,

I'll play along.
Let's assume Mize's shot hit the pin and he made par on 11-and that Norman didn't three putt ;D
(in 1987 by the way-86 was the year Norman flared the event away to Nicklaus on 18-another lucky guy)
They then go to 12.
Pin back right-How well does Norman do there?
Mize saved  him the agony of throwing away another major by chipping in. ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Elvins

« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Brent,

I wrote you a very long post to explain all of this.  Please re-read it a few times.  I have posted a few comments below to further help out.  

Acknowledging that random occurrences are part of golf is one thing. Using that fact to discount the cumulative result of a lifetime's worth of tournament golf is quite another.
We are not talking about a lifetime of golf, we are talking about 15 Major tournaments - 60 rounds of golf.

Larry Mize didn't play that shot with a blindfold on after being spun around until he was dizzy. He made his best effort to get it in the hole and he succeeded. I can't agree with any tortured line of reasoning that treats his hole-out as anything other than a direct outcome of playing the shot well.
There is no tortured line of reasoning, just a basic use of scientifically conducted studies and mathematics.  heres another example for you.   player A hits a 320 yard tee shot that goes in the hole.  Player b hits a 320 yard tee shot that stops on the lip.  If you seriously think that player A hit a better tee shot than player B and deserves a hole in one more than player B, I am not sure there is any point discussing this further and I will absolve myself of the guilt i felt for calling your earlier post lunacy. :)   Do you not agree that the amount of luck involved to hole a shot is proportional to the length of the shot?  

If one stroke earlier Norman had holed out from the fairway, would you not count that as a major-championship victory? Of course you would, it would have been a spectacular shot. Yet more unlikely than Mize's 120-footer.
  If Norman holed out from the fairway, I would think that he was very lucky and describe the situation as such.  But he didn't.  in fact, when he had a chance to win a major, he couldn't even hole a putt, let alone a 170 yard approach.  I never said that anyone who holes out from off the green doesn't deserve a major championship.   I was just stating that luck was invovled which I think is a farily simple to understand premise.  Once again, the amount of luck required to hole a shot is proportional to the length of the shot.  Do you seriously not agree with this statement?

You can't account for random occurrences in a golf tournament.
plenty of players do.  

What you are doing is imputing disproportionate meaning to the most memorable random events in Norman's career. Those are typically things like chip-ins or long putts in playoffs.

The events are memorable becasue they are unlikely.  I have included events in Norman's career that were unlikely.  If there are events where he has received luck in that proportion it would also be memorable (hint: the odds of a ball bouncing off a tree and onto a fairway is not 100/1. second hint: the odds of a ball bouncing of a spike mark and missing the hole is not 100/1.  the odds of Mize chipping in are roughly similar to a player's ball hitting a spike mark and missing the hole on 8 consecutive holes.  

But in reality (unwarped by selective recall) those events are no more or less important than the tens of thousands of other random events over the course of a career.
Please re-read my post.  if a player vies for the lead in 15 major championships, there are not tens of thousands of events occuring.  There are relatively few random events occurring.  

If a guy got chipped in on a couple times on Friday then lost by two strokes on Sunday then he just came up short. But if one chip-in decides the tournament on the final day he was robbed. Nonsense!
 Agreed, it allows me to bring up mark calcavechia slam dunking a ball for birdie from an impossible lie late i nthe final round of the 89 British Open as another example of someone getting lucky against Norman.  

Everyone receives the same amount of lucky bounces on the part of their competition or bad breaks on their own ball.
This is simply not true.  Please re-read my earleir post.  There are simply no law of nature that makes sure this happens, nor any mathematical theorem that could explain it.  Nor any religious principle.  Not enough major championships are played for luck to even out over so few tournaments.  the amount of luck a player receives will fit a bell curve distribution with most players close to having luck balanced out but several outliers receiving less or more than their fair share of luck.  

What is unevenly distributed are the shots that are played and replayed over and over on TV or talked about years later. Those random breaks represent a tiny fraction of a percent of the random events that influenced Greg Norman's career.
 Once again, he was in contention in 15 odd majors.  That is not a whole career, that is a small sample size.  it is easy to remember what happenned in these events because there weren't many of them.  to take two unlikely occurances - tway and Mize, I am unaware of any other player coming close to being beaten by these shots.   Further more, he may have recieved luck in other rounds, however it is statiscally unlikely that he woud do so without it being unoticed. ie Mize hitting spike marks and missing 8 straight putts would have been noticed if it happenned.

David_Elvins

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
David,

I'll play along.
Let's assume Mize's shot hit the pin and he made par on 11-and that Norman didn't three putt ;D
(in 1987 by the way-86 was the year Norman flared the event away to Nicklaus on 18-another lucky guy)
They then go to 12.
Pin back right-How well does Norman do there?
Mize saved  him the agony of throwing away another major by chipping in. ;D
Some years ago whilst I was at uni, I did a thesis on this very thing! After exhaustive modelling, it turns out that Norman in fact would have holed his tee shot on 12.  :)   

Matt Day

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
this thread has turned into champagne sketch comedy, well done Kev.

Faldo craps all over Norman by the way......... :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back