News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RichMacafee

18th at Augusta - Final Round Pin Position
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
What are the thoughts on the final round pin position on 18 at Augusta? Do you think it's done mainly for tradition's sake?

Watching over the years the back right pin always seems like the most interesting, and also the most likely to produce a 2 shot swing. There is a strong possibility of making a mistake on the approach shot:

Right bunker is very close to the pin, and slopes strongly to the hole. Both Els and Watson left bunker shots in trying to finesse the shot.

To get close to the pin you need to risk going long, which is downhill and super fast to chip from. Tiger last year chipped it down to the front of the green from 6ft over the back I remember.

If you try and leave the ball under the hole, there is a big chance of coming back down the tier, which brings 3-putt into the equation.

It also rewards taking driver from the tee, as you are more likely to keep the ball on the top level with a shorter iron. Also rewards keeping the tee shot close to the bunker for the best angle.

The front pin has the back stop for safety (which also takes the front bunker out of play), short right off the false front is a simple chip that nearly gets holed by everyone that plays it, and the right bunker is not a tough shot to get within 6 feet

In my opinion a back right pin would be a much better pin location for the final hole of a major.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:46:28 PM by RichMacafee »
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Phil McDade

Re: 18th at Augusta - Final Round Pin Position
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:45:58 PM »
Rich:

I agree -- I like that back-right pin on 18 a lot, because it takes a high-quality second shot to make birdie possible. It seems the main strategy with the current final-round pin on 18 is to get the ball in the fairway off the tee, by any means, because the pin position means even shots with long irons into the green can be backstopped. Plus, it seems the play with that pin is right of the pin (from the player's perspective) by anywhere from 15-30 feet, because that section of the green immediately right of the pin doesn't seem to have much movement.

Kind of like the back-right pin on 16, which I think is pretty diabolical.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »
I don't think we will ever see a change in where they put the holes on Sunday, its too much of a tradition. And thats 90% of what the Master's is, tradition. I like the holes where they are, they set up really well for scoring opportunities for those who can take advantage of the placement. And penalize those who can't.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
I don't think we will ever see a change in where they put the holes on Sunday, its too much of a tradition. And thats 90% of what the Master's is, tradition. I like the holes where they are, they set up really well for scoring opportunities for those who can take advantage of the placement. And penalize those who can't.

They change numerous holes yearly on Sunday. And it has been back there on 18 fairly recently I believe.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
I think it is absolutely done for tradition and I LOVE turning on the TV knowing what the players will have to do to birdie 18 if it comes down to the last hole! I know I will see the same setting where Jack, Watson and so many other greats have won. Ditto for 16 and a few other holes!

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

They change numerous holes yearly on Sunday. And it has been back there on 18 fairly recently I believe.

You'll have to show me that one. I can't remember ever seeing the Sunday hole not left center on 18 where it was yesterday, I have never seen the hole not front left on 16 where is was yesterday, same goes with 13. On those three holes, I can't recall ever seeing a different Sunday pin placement.

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »
You'll have to show me that one. I can't remember ever seeing the Sunday hole not left center on 18 where it was yesterday, I have never seen the hole not front left on 16 where is was yesterday, same goes with 13. On those three holes, I can't recall ever seeing a different Sunday pin placement.
2003 when Mike Weir won?

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »
Nicklaus in 86 comes to mind as well for 18.

As for 16 one I certainly remember is 1975.

JLahrman

Re: 18th at Augusta - Final Round Pin Position New
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
Depends on how long you want to go back, but in 1986 the pin was in the back on 18.

It was back in 1991 when Woosnam won.

2003 was also definitely back.

Probably a couple of other years too, but it's easier to remember when the tournament culminated on the 72nd hole.  It only seems like it's been the past several years where they've been putting it front left every year.  It doesn't have nearly the historical consistency of the right pin on 12 or back left on 16.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:05:10 PM by JLahrman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back