News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: MPCC Dunes - 1925 by Seth Raynor
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
Michael,

If you read Joel's question, he asked if Hanse was now the consulting architect. With Strantz' s demise it was neccessary to have an architect in charge and not the most vocal guy on the Greens Committeee, hence his appointment.

bob

Jed Peters

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Bob,

For future reference, I'm a much younger and more spry partner than Mike B.

Mike B.,

Tell me about re: closest to the hole in member-guests. Sir Huntley stole my 5 quid as well.

Jed

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
Bob,

Mike B.,

Tell me about re: closest to the hole in member-guests. Sir Huntley stole my 5 quid as well.

Jed

Jed,

Stolen 5 quid?  My dear chap, that was my tribute.

See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tribute

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »
Bob,

Mike B.,

Jed

Jed,

Stolen 5 quid?  My dear chap, that was my tribute.

See:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tribute

Bob

Reader's Digest used to have a weekly column titled, "The Perfect Squelch."    Well done Sir Boab!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Reading this article today about MPCC staying in the AT&T rotation.   Interesting they may use the Dunes course for the AT&T.

I had heard Fazio has submitted his revisions for the Dunes course and this gives a little tidbit.  Thank god he's not going to tear apart Raynors course but the construction and shaping will tell the final story.

MPCC was an original member of the rotation after the tournament moved from Southern California to the Monterey Peninsula in 1947. For its first 20 years in Northern California, the event was played at Pebble Beach, Cypress Point and MPCC. Spyglass Hill replaced MPCC in 1967; Poppy Hills replaced Cypress Point in 1991; and then MPCC returned, at Poppy’s expense, in 2010.

Here’s an intriguing twist to the new arrangement: The contract calls for the tour and tournament to consider using the MPCC’s Dunes Course once its renovation is completed. The Dunes Course was used for the first 18 years of the event’s Northern California run (1947-64); the Shore Course was used in 1965-66, ’77 (during work at Spyglass) and the past four years.

MPCC general manager Michael Bowhay said the club hopes to begin the renovation of the Dunes Course in the spring of 2015 and, ideally, have it done before the 2016 AT&T. MPCC is going through the permitting process now and will put the project to a vote of its members in March.

The aim is to have architect Tom Fazio upgrade the irrigation system, improve the cart paths and make “tweaks” to green complexes and bunkers on the Dunes.

“I think it’s very significant to have two courses the tour considers worthy of its events,” Bowhay said. “The Dunes is even more spectator-friendly than the Shore, just with the access getting from tee to green and getting around the course. It would be great if we could alternate the Shore and Dunes on an annual basis.”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »
Joel & Bob,

I found both courses to be fantastic, amongst the best 36 hole offering to be found anywhere.

One could play 36 at MPCC every day and never tire of the challenge, beauty and joy.

P.S.  Those are some fast greens

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
I agree with Pat. Both are fantastic courses . Could qualify for a best 36 in one day.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »
Pat, do you know if Fazio has ever worked on a Raynor course?  The article said he is going to tweak the greens and bunkers.

It's like Leroy Neiman touching up a Rembrandt.  The styles are so vastly different, it just doesn't compute for me.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
I'm not surprised it's someone other than Rees, when I was there last year the underlying sentiment for Rees' work on the Dunes was not warm.  I thought they would have Gil do the work on the Dunes course.  I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced all the turf with the upcoming work as well as the membership really likes the fescue.  I found it nice as well, and the greens very fast.  In fact too fast for the kind of wind they get.  Balls were blowing off the surfaces.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
Pat, do you know if Fazio has ever worked on a Raynor course?  The article said he is going to tweak the greens and bunkers.

It's like Leroy Neiman touching up a Rembrandt.  The styles are so vastly different, it just doesn't compute for me.

Joel,

As you know, I've always believed that the architect is an instrument of the membership.

It's a rare day when an architect is invited in, without the club having any idea of what they want to accomplish.

And it's a even rarer day when an architect doesn't have to submit his plans/costs to the membership for approval.

Cost, however, may be less of a factor at MPCC than at other clubs.

I do know that there was some member dissatisfaction with the repetitive nature of the first few opening holes.
But, one has to consider how those holes lead the golfer up and away from the clubhouse, allowing the routing to then circle back to the Pacific Ocean.

My concern is, that as time goes by, successive generations become further removed from Raynor and more familiar with Fazio, who has NOT shown a propensity to preserve the works of the ODG's.

Time will tell.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
I'm not surprised it's someone other than Rees, when I was there last year the underlying sentiment for Rees' work on the Dunes was not warm.  I thought they would have Gil do the work on the Dunes course.  I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced all the turf with the upcoming work as well as the membership really likes the fescue.  I found it nice as well, and the greens very fast.  In fact too fast for the kind of wind they get.  Balls were blowing off the surfaces.

Brett had you played the Dunes prior to Rees Jones work? If you had, I would be somewhat surprised by your disdain
 for his work there.

Bob

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »
Bob, I haven't played the Dunes course.  The feelings about the Rees remodel came from some casual conversation while there.  Maybe it's due to the success of the Shore Cse remodel.  Being a member there, you'd know best.  What became of the 18th green on the Shore Cse, there was talk of some change there still.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »

Bob, I haven't played the Dunes course.  

The feelings about the Rees remodel came from some casual conversation while there. 

"Casual conversations" with whom

Maybe it's due to the success of the Shore Cse remodel. 
Being a member there, you'd know best. 
What became of the 18th green on the Shore Cse, there was talk of some change there still.

Bob Huntley,

Is that like saying that I don't like how you decorated your house, but, I've never been in it ? ;D ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Bob, I haven't played the Dunes course.  The feelings about the Rees remodel came from some casual conversation while there.  Maybe it's due to the success of the Shore Cse remodel.  Being a member there, you'd know best.  What became of the 18th green on the Shore Cse, there was talk of some change there still.

The 18th hole on the Shore course was a difficult hole for anyone to bring it up to snuff following the brilliance of the rest of the design.

It was decided that Gil Hanse should re-do the hole, even Gil had difficulty in bringing this off.  It was my understanding tha he returned and made some modifications that helped,  but like the 18th at  Cypress Point, it is a bit of a let down.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:25:57 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Jim Tang

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
In July of 2012 I spent one magical day at MPCC and was lucky enough to play both courses.  I thought each was outright fantastic.  The turf was wonderful, extremely firm.  The membership was very welcoming.  My day there counts as one of my 3 or 4 best days of 36, ever.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back