News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Who in the Masters Field is the Next Player to Bloom?
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
I like the cut of Nick Watney's jib.  He's got length, touch and a good set of competitive nerves.  I like Anthony Kim, but he seems to have a little too much slash and burn in his game which could be too combustible for majors.What say you?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Emil Weber

Re: Who in the Masters Field is the Next Player to Bloom?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »
Even though he missed the cut this week, watch out for Martin Kaymer. He's only 25 and has won 5 tournaments on the European Tour already. He went up to number 6 in the world ranking just a couple of weeks ago.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
Despite his choice of addidas sneakers in Butler Cabin and his awkward looks right at the camera (which I got a kick out of) Matteo Manassero has just a TON of game at age 16.
H.P.S.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
Matteo is probably the most impressive of the young crowd, but he does have a long way to go.  Anthony Kim is probably the one I would consider most likely to do something special in the near future. 

JESII

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
Manaserro is turning pro next month...what will he do then?

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »
Sully:

My prediction would be the kid might have some immediate success of a sort coming off his amateur career high but then he will probably slump some the way so many of the hot amateurs of the past have coming off their amateur success highs.

I guess its just a matter of adjusting to that professional level and all that comes with it like the traveling and such. You know that kind of thing better than most of the rest of us----eg you've been there and done that. You tell us what the over-all adjustment was like.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »

I don't like to see that.  We saw Justin Rose out too soon, although he seems to be finding it finally.  Garcia is a flop and was a young flash and seems to be a relatively underachieved fizzle now.  What ever happened to Tryon?

I like the looks of several young'uns.  Kim, Schwartzl, McIlroy, Manassero, Ryo and the Molinari bros.  There doesn't really seem to be any lack of future contenders.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »

I don't like to see that.  We saw Justin Rose out too soon, although he seems to be finding it finally.  Garcia is a flop and was a young flash and seems to be a relatively underachieved fizzle now.  What ever happened to Tryon?

I like the looks of several young'uns.  Kim, Schwartzl, McIlroy, Manassero, Ryo and the Molinari bros.  There doesn't really seem to be any lack of future contenders.

Garcia is a flop? He's consistently in the top 20-50 in the world and has won multiple times. I wouldn't call someone who hasn't won a major a flop.

BTW- I don't think Ryo is nearly as good as his world ranking indicates.
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
Pat, do you think Sergio has come close to living up to the hype of his 19 years of age, debut at Medinah?  I think he was tauted (and rightfully so at that time) as a big potential competitor for the next pantheon of golfers.  I think his poor attitude and examples of his mentality show he was too immature to come out and stand on the world stage with all that hype.  He cashed a few big checks, mostly in Europe, and a few high places and shows here.  But, he isn't anywhere near what his hype was, and he just doesn't cut it as one who I would consider a big success in accordance with the promise he showed at one time, IMHO.  I tink he could have used some college seasoning and educational opportunity to round out what he seems to lack, having by-passed that stage of life. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
Pat, do you think Sergio has come close to living up to the hype of his 19 years of age, debut at Medinah?  I think he was tauted (and rightfully so at that time) as a big potential competitor for the next pantheon of golfers.  I think his poor attitude and examples of his mentality show he was too immature to come out and stand on the world stage with all that hype.  He cashed a few big checks, mostly in Europe, and a few high places and shows here.  But, he isn't anywhere near what his hype was, and he just doesn't cut it as one who I would consider a big success in accordance with the promise he showed at one time, IMHO.  I tink he could have used some college seasoning and educational opportunity to round out what he seems to lack, having by-passed that stage of life. 

RJ-

I'm not sticking up for him as a person, only that calling him a "flop" was a little harsh considering he has had a pretty successful and long career in the grand scheme of things. For every young gun that actually wins multiple times and maintains a consistant spot on the world rankings, there are 10 guys who don't amount to much IMO.
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »
Pat, I guess it is just a matter of personal perspective.  But, I sure wouldn't like to see this very young Manassero go the same route as Garcia or Tryon.  I think he could be so much more, maybe accept a US or some Euro University Scholarship (which brings up a question in my mind of whether there are even such things as Euro university golf athletic scholarships offered).  Kuchar did the right thing, IMHO.  Even Tiger took his time at Stanford, and Phil at AZ.  I really don't like it in any sport where the talented kids by-pass the college portion of their young lives, no matter how talented.  I think it lends to all the immature antics that we see kids with way too much money and celebrity, too fast, and shows up in poor character-life decisions.  

Now I don't know what to say in that regard when it comes to Tiger and his lofty Stanford experience... But I'd hate to see what he'd have been without the Stanford years...  ::) ;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
Sergio has faded more than he has surged.  He never lived up to the hype that was essentially born when he scampered up the hill at Medinah.  He has repeatedly faltered in big tournaments and majors.  Does that mean that he's a total failure?  No, but it sure means that he never lived up the the hype that his early career suggested.  He was billed as the next great player.  He turned out to be the next player to fail to become the next GREAT player.  One would think that he would have accomplished a lot more than merely making money on tour.  His trophy case has too much space.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Pat, I guess it is just a matter of personal perspective.  But, I sure wouldn't like to see this very young Manassero go the same route as Garcia or Tryon.  I think he could be so much more, maybe accept a US or some Euro University Scholarship (which brings up a question in my mind of whether there are even such things as Euro university golf athletic scholarships offered).  Kuchar did the right thing, IMHO.  Even Tiger took his time at Stanford, and Phil at AZ.  I really don't like it in any sport where the talented kids by-pass the college portion of their young lives, no matter how talented.  I think it lends to all the immature antics that we see kids with way too much money and celebrity, too fast, and shows up in poor character-life decisions.  

Now I don't know what to say in that regard when it comes to Tiger and his lofty Stanford experience... But I'd hate to see what he'd have been without the Stanford years...  ::) ;D

Ty Tryon...now THERE is a flop! :)  :o
H.P.S.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
From what I saw, I'd go with Kim - He parlayed the confidence from winning at Houston into a very strong Sunday push to the top teir of the leaderboard.  Lest not forget that many go backward on Sunday.  He's had the game, now I think he has mental fortitude that was lacking.
Coasting is a downhill process

Chris Roselle

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
I like the cut of Nick Watney's jib.  He's got length, touch and a good set of competitive nerves.  I like Anthony Kim, but he seems to have a little too much slash and burn in his game which could be too combustible for majors.What say you?

I like Watney as well....He seems to have all the neccessay tools to become the next big thing....I love his demeanor on the course as well....

herrstein

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Anthony Kim.
He played with the Nationwide Tour at Black Creek maybe a couple of times, and even the PGA Tour guys were agog. He has superior skills. The only question is whether he has the mental requirements.
I'm not sure that many have what it takes to be great, mentally/emotionally.
Who was it that said that great intellects cannot be great athletes? Someone who said, "They just don't think about the consequences of greatness."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »
Pat:

It's fair game in my mind to call Sergio a "flop."

After seeing his entrance onto the world stage at Medinah at 19 would you have ever thought he would NOT have won a major by now ?

If you are truly honest -- your answer is self evident.

Sergio is working towards the dubious distinction of the game's biggest underachiver -- he still needs to top the likes of Couples, Love III and Monty -- but he's on a certain path if the major goose-egg hangs around his throat. ;)

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
sergio has his issues, but he did win @ sawgrass -- the fifth major.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:54 AM »
Does everyone agree that first and foremost they need to be great putters?

Q: Us Aussies are bewildered - has Norman put the mozz on all Aussies ever having a chance at Augusta?

Plenty of great shotmakers and ball strikers, plenty of good putters, well a few, many played a lot of their golf on the Sandbelt (fast and undulating greens, strategically think your way around a course) - what is the problem...?

For the record, I also like Watney, Kim certainly looks like he will deliver in spades and maybe along with Kymer - Fisher.

I really wanted to see Michael Sim - he looks great - pulled out with an injury (I think this gave KJ his spot)
@theflatsticker

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 07:53:47 AM »
Anthony Kim.
He played with the Nationwide Tour at Black Creek maybe a couple of times, and even the PGA Tour guys were agog. He has superior skills. The only question is whether he has the mental requirements.
I'm not sure that many have what it takes to be great, mentally/emotionally.
Who was it that said that great intellects cannot be great athletes? Someone who said, "They just don't think about the consequences of greatness."

AK has the talent and confidence to get to the next level. He hit it all over the lot at Augusta and still got it in the hole. He is also a lot of fun to watch because he makes some Mickelson like decisions.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 07:56:18 AM »
Calling Sergio a flop is one more reason this site should stick to architecture!  

And whose expectations and whose hype is Sergio not living up to?   He is consistantly one of the best players in the world, maybe he doesn't win as much as some of us would like, but every week he is in the money somewhere in the world.  Maybe he should pick select events like a lot of posers do, but he doesn't, he plays.   His bank managers think he's doing fine, so do I!

and Schartzl and Kaymer will be the stars of 2012.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »
What about KJ Choi?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gary Slatter

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »
Good chance to see one of golf's best pairings at 8:30 this morning, including that flop Sergio who is supporting the PGA Tour's attempt to find a sponsor for Harbourtown.
 :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Richard Apperly

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »
There's a fantastic bunch of young Koreans that will come through the next couple of years. Caught some of the Asian Amateur and boy can they swing a golf club. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Korean men start to flourish even more just like the women players have.

Emil Weber

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
What about KJ Choi?

He started playing golf at an age when manassero had made the cut at the masters. He must be pretty "old". Hes constantly been in the business since years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back