News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: So What is the Greatest Shot Ever?
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 01:53:22 AM »
Greg Norman, 1984 Winged Foot, 40ft putt on 72nd to get into playoff in US open.  Fuzzy killed him the next day but still a good putt

Steve Salmen

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:34 AM »
Crenshaw's shot on 16 in the 95 Masters?

The two most exciting shots I've ever seen were Rocca's putt through the Valley of Sin and Tiger's ace on the 16th on the Saturday at the Phoenix Open.

JC Jones

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »
I'll keep it to those I've seen on TV that looked absolutely amazing (not incl. short shots / putts): a choice between Pavin's 1995 US Open feat on 18 at Shinnecock, Yangs on the 18th in last year in the US PGA, Mickelson's on the 13th at Augusta yesterday and Harrington's wood onto the 17th at Birkdale in 2008.

What about Shaun Micheel's at the PGA.  He put that thing to 2 feet.  Amazing.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
I'll keep it to those I've seen on TV that looked absolutely amazing (not incl. short shots / putts): a choice between Pavin's 1995 US Open feat on 18 at Shinnecock, Yangs on the 18th in last year in the US PGA, Mickelson's on the 13th at Augusta yesterday and Harrington's wood onto the 17th at Birkdale in 2008.

What about Shaun Micheel's at the PGA.  He put that thing to 2 feet.  Amazing.

JC,

More like 2 inches.  ;)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
Anthony:   I once had a shot of cognac/or brandy that had been recovered from a ship sunk in the Med in 1815. 
It was second only to Rocca's putt at St Andrews!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Steve_Roths

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »
Didn't Greg Norman hit a 1 iron off the concrete cart path in spikes at Sawgrass to an green guarded by water.  

John Foley

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »
Suprising how few Ryder Cup shots have been mentioned as there have been a few.

If we are talking about dB's then I'll add Pavin's chip in for birdie on 18th @ Oak Hill in the '95 Ryder Cup was off the charts, but whenFreddy holed a bunker shot on 13 earlier that was bigger.

That environment was electric.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
For me Shepard's 2nd. Paradoxically it transcended yet defined the game and the aspirations of its players.

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »
Shiv, you must be the only person in the world who thought Jack would screw up post eagle. Even Weiskopf's memorable quip suggested otherwise.

Nice thorough examination, Phil McDade.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
He was still at least 3 down at the time when he stood on that tee.

Nobody believed he had a chance to win until Seve dunked his second shot.

And there is NO WAY IN HELL anybody will ever convince me that Seve dunks his second unless Jack nearly makes 1 at 16.  And if Seve doesn't dunk his approach, Seve wins.  For sure.  Every time.

In other words, that shot won the Masters in the greatest Masters ever.  

Whatever you do, don't concede.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Martin Toal

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
For me, the greatest shot is one that an ordinary player, regardless of how much good fortune they had, could never hit. So Larry Mize's chip in is not the shot. Great shot, for sure, but physically possible for a mortal, and with an element of goof fortune.

Seve's bunker 3 wood at the 83 Ryder Cup, though, is a shot that many Tour pros could try all day long and never pull off. That it came at a critical point in the match just adds the icing on the cake.

PThomas

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »
He was still at least 3 down at the time when he stood on that tee.

Nobody believed he had a chance to win until Seve dunked his second shot.

And there is NO WAY IN HELL anybody will ever convince me that Seve dunks his second unless Jack nearly makes 1 at 16.  And if Seve doesn't dunk his approach, Seve wins.  For sure.  Every time.

In other words, that shot won the Masters in the greatest Masters ever.  

but he still had to birdie 17 to get the lead

Watson's chip GAVE HIM THE LEAD...esp important since he might well have made bogey from there to fall 1 behind

Jack would have been th only one to win 5 of our National Championships!  and personally i consider winning that more important than winning The Masters
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Richard Phinney

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
Geez, we have to at least nominate  the only time a Major championship (OK, the old rota) was won with a full shot from the fairway - Gary Cowan's eagle 2 on the 18th to win the US Amateur in 1971 (stroke play that year).

And, of course, without question the greatest Canadian shot of all time.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
I can't experience a golf shot, I can only experience the way the golf shot was presented to me through television. SO......in my tv viewing lifetime, I have to agree with Shivas as I have before on this, Jack in 86 at the 16th:

With Weiskopf saying: "If I knew the way he thought, I would have won this tournament." 

Then, BEFORE THE SHOT WAS HIT, as Jack backed away: "...He's thinking, Jack, make the swing you're capable of making....Your destiny is right here". 

And after Jack hits it, he bends down to pick up the tee and Jackie says "Be right" and Jack, without looking up, says "It is". 

As if it was just then, only after 15, that the old Jack came back - the Jack that not only believed he could win, but KNEW it. The last great flicker of Will.   

Peter

Sean Leary

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
Geez, we have to at least nominate  the only time a Major championship (OK, the old rota) was won with a full shot from the fairway - Gary Cowan's eagle 2 on the 18th to win the US Amateur in 1971 (stroke play that year).

Never heard that story...Cool.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »

Never heard that story...Cool.

I would now give Gary Cowan's shot my vote........and guess who he nipped out ?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
If we add in Ryder Cup, I'll take Lanny Wadkins' wedge to win his match and clinch the cup (I think) in 1983. Lightning flickered in the background, just to add flavor, but the shot was stiffed, and Jack Nicklaus went over and kissed the divot. Jack then nicknamed Wadkins "wheelbarrow," and I think you know why.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mac Plumart

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
Can you guys think of great shots by women golfers?

Birdie Kim comes to mind...any others?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan King

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »
I'm going to have to go with Zeppo Marx.

"The hardest shot in golf is a mashie at 90 yards from the green, where the ball has to be played against an oak tree, bounces back into a sandtrap, hits a stone, bounces on the green and then rolls into the cup. That shot is so difficult I have made it only once."

Cheers,
Dan King
It is better to have loft and lost than to never have loft at all.
 --Groucho Marx

George Pazin

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
So what?  Watson got the lead.  Plus, it was a fricking chip in, for crying out loud.  A chip in can't be the greatest shot of all time.

But a stock iron tee shot can...?

PeterP, that was a wonderfully written post, but it takes more than poetry to convince me. :)

Right now, Sarazen's double eagle seems the clear favorite. Many have credited it with making The Masters what it is, but I don't know if that's just revisionist history (like many of the imputed powers Shivas credits Jack's shot at 16 with... :)).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
I've got four that come to mind and I hit all of them.

Bob

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned.....

Castle Pines. The International. Standing in 17th fairway, and the only way to have a chance is a double eagle. Steve Lowery knocks it in the hole. This after he holed a full shot for eagle on 15.

He had a putt on 18 to either win or lose, no chance for a tie. He missed it.

But when you absolutely need a double eagle and you do it, that's pretty cool.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Can you guys think of great shots by women golfers?

Birdie Kim comes to mind...any others?

Brittany Lincicome's hybrid at the 18th to set up an eagle at the Kraft last year was pretty amazing. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned.....

Castle Pines. The International. Standing in 17th fairway, and the only way to have a chance is a double eagle. Steve Lowery knocks it in the hole. This after he holed a full shot for eagle on 15.

He had a putt on 18 to either win or lose, no chance for a tie. He missed it.

But when you absolutely need a double eagle and you do it, that's pretty cool.

Doug:

Thanks for that memory! I'd completey forgotten Lowery's shot, which was spectacular. Didn't Beem win that tournament, and nearly have a heart attack on the 18th green waiting for Lowery to finish?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »
George P - fair enough. But if I can't appeal to your sense of poetry (or of great television) let me put it this way: Jack hit the ball exactly where he wanted; while for Gene, on the other hand, it was all a matter of luck.  Everyone knows that holes in one and double eagles are just flukes, right?

P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back