News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: A proposal for a new 18th Hole at Cypress Point
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
I've talked with Sandy Tatum about that hole and CPC countless times so maybe I didn't place it in the interview.  Regardless, he has walked into that area and felt that Mackenzie had to consider it for the finishing hole.

I don't think he knows or if it's ever been documented why he built the hole the way it is.

I did forward the photo to a CPC member and he laughed saying it would take an act of god to change the hole.

Joel,

Thats really interesting that you got some feedback from an actual CPC member. Personally I would not touch the course as it is a Mackenzie original - the golf course version of the Mona Lisa. Thats why I kept the original 18th green so that it can still be in play and used as an alternative to the new 18th green which will have awesome ocean views etc.

I would be interested in seeing the design evolution of Mackenzie's routing of CP prior to construction.

Cheers
Ben

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:53:53 PM by Ben Stephens »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
I've talked with Sandy Tatum about that hole and CPC countless times so maybe I didn't place it in the interview.  Regardless, he has walked into that area and felt that Mackenzie had to consider it for the finishing hole.

I don't think he knows or if it's ever been documented why he built the hole the way it is.

I did forward the photo to a CPC member and he laughed saying it would take an act of god to change the hole.

Joel,

Thats really interesting that you got some feedback from an actual CPC member. Personally I would not touch the course as it is a Mackenzie original - the golf course version of the Mona Lisa. I would be interested in seeing the design evolution of Mackenzie's routing of CP prior to construction.

Cheers
Ben

That's easy.  Just find and read the Raynor routing.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
I think it is a really great hole and a vast improvement to the original 18th, but I would not build it if only due to the fact that it would bring tournaments to the club and lead to modifications to the rest of the course. you would be better off trying to improve the more mundane holes at pebble beach.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »
Ben

I'd leave the 16th as is - no need to alter perfection  ;)

I like the premise of what you suggest though re: the 18th though. I'd consider suggesting a green tucked in under the clubhouse at a sharper dogleg right or one around the corner of the clubhouse perhaps ? The main issue being to overcome the potential danger on players walking from the 16th tee along the pathway to the 16th green.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:20 PM »
Fun to think about Ben, but I do think changes to the Sistine Chapel might be easier to make!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back