News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Right to left at Augusta
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »

Look at all those hooks the past couple of days. Does it favor the right to left hitter? When Jack was winning wasn't it more open so the right to left shot less demanding?

Anthony

PCCraig

Re: Right to left at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »

Look at all those hooks the past couple of days. Does it favor the right to left hitter? When Jack was winning wasn't it more open so the right to left shot less demanding?

Anthony

Yes.
H.P.S.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
If that is the case, does that give Mickelson an advantage with it being easier to control a strong fade rather than a strong draw ?

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
ANGC has always been a right to left shot course. Jack actually would tone up his draw well before Masters week so he would be ready.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »

Is it me or are we seeing more of the hook this year?

Anthony

CJ Carder

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
  Is it me or are we seeing more of the hook this year?

Anthony

I wonder how much of that is dictated by the conditions, both good and bad. 

Good being that a well struck "hook" (or strong draw if you're picky) in fast conditions can really run and provide an advantage.  Holes 10 and 13 come immediately to mind.

Bad being that the firmer conditions mean more runout and thus a hook may be needed for recovery.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
KJ Choi is a natural fader of the ball and he seems to be doing alright....

But I must agree, it seems like several holes require or encourage the hook, draw for a right handed player.  Shall we count them?

2) Tee ball
3)  Approach shot to avoid bunkers
5) Tee ball
7)  This is marginal, but seem to see draw being played here off tee.
8)  Second shot if going for it
9) Tee ball, only a slight draw here
10) Tee ball
11) Approach shot
13) Tee shot and approach
14) Tee ball
16)  For the lower pin positions
17)  Tee ball

18) Is the only hole that requires a fade off the tee that I can think of.

Did I leave any out?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Another thing to consider. The new wedge rule was put in place to get the players to play balls with more spin. More spin means it is easier to hit a draw, strong draw, and maybe even a hook. The characteristic of the balls in play last year was that they spun more with a higher face angle and less with a low face angle. Therefore, a slightly angled face last year would spin less than it would with a ball with more spin presumably used by players this year. Therefore, the same swing that produces a noticable draw this year may have produced little or now draw last year.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
Another thing to consider. The new wedge rule was put in place to get the players to play balls with more spin. More spin means it is easier to hit a draw, strong draw, and maybe even a hook. The characteristic of the balls in play last year was that they spun more with a higher face angle and less with a low face angle. Therefore, a slightly angled face last year would spin less than it would with a ball with more spin presumably used by players this year. Therefore, the same swing that produces a noticable draw this year may have produced little or now draw last year.

Good observation. We have seen some just plane crazy ball movement in the air this year.

Anthony

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »
KJ Choi is a natural fader of the ball and he seems to be doing alright....

Actually I think he's changed his "go to" shot to a draw. Freddy has done this as well. The draw is definitely favored but Tiger got around the course the first 2 days playing a fade, so it can be done.

I often hear being able to hit a draw is a characteristic associated with better players. I know that controlling a draw may be the toughest thing to do with a golf ball so rewarding the player who does that the best seems like an OK way to determine a champion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back