News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

"I am sorry but you are wrong. I do not hate Tiger, I never have. Had you bothered to read my past posts/threads then you will have noticed that I talked about poor course behaviour, using Tiger as one of the worst current offender. Also because he is well covered by TV so his actions are there to watch. "

Okay fine.  But you have constantly singled Tiger out, and you did post that you wanted the R&A to not allow Tiger to play in the Open.
If your attempts to to have this happen include every player who has thrown a club, or cursed like a sailor, then I apologize.  It sure seems that your displeasure is about one person though.  I believe you love the game, but I also believe you judge from a holier than thou position where your historical ideals are the only truth.
You've made blanket statements disparaging tour players which I have taken offense to, and I have read plenty of condescending pompous rants that I ignored rather than feed this beast.  Yes, your family lineage is impressive, yes the game of golf is important to me too.  Yes, we understand that golf should not have grown with modern times, and yes, I still like your contributions here.  But stop pretending this isn't about your dislike (better word) for one man, it shows every time your rail against him.

Dan Herrmann

I'm no bible thumper, but let me tell you, Melvyn - John 8:1--11 expresses my feelings perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:11:36 PM by Dan Herrmann »

TEPaul

Given that there are some (or one) on here who seem to feel that golf is degenerating somehow due to some occasional foul-mouthed pros on tour and on TV, such as Woods, it just occured to me that it may appear to have gotten worse that way these days because most all those tour players are basically miked most all the time and particularly on tees.

It wasn't that long ago that was not the case. So, there may not be any more foul-mouthed situations going on out there than there has been in the past or has always been.

And there most certainly have been a decent number of tour players over the years who've had explosive tempers and showed that side of themselves all the time, including profanity and club throwing and such. A list of some of the most well-known of them over the years may be appropriate on here as an example of this.

So, despite someone like Melvyn Hunter Morrow's constant moral rectitude or concern or whatever it is with him, I doubt golf is in any danger in this context. It's always been this way and golf has survived it just fine, and, in my opinion, it will continue to survive it just fine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:27:57 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

"Starting a thread like you did really serves no purpose other than to call more attention to yourself. I held out hope that after you "quit" this site two weeks ago in a disagreement with Tom Paul that you wouldn't actually return, but look who's back after a few weeks..."

Pat Craig:

I definitely do not recall that Melvyn "quit" this site in a disagreement with me. Even though Melvyn seems to have "quit" this site a number of times or threatened to I think he "quit" the site a few weeks ago over a disagreement with Tom MacWood and I definitely would prefer it if you did not confuse me with Tom MacWood!  ::) ;)

Jerry Kessler:

If you believe Melyvn Hunter Morrow should be banned from this website perhaps you should just ask him to conduct another of his own polls on here by starting a thread asking if the participants on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com think he should be banned or whatever. I distinctly recall he did that himself within the year even though I don't remember the results of the poll he conducted on here by asking the participants of this website in a thread he started to vote on whether they felt he should stay or leave. I don't think he quit the site that time either even if that thread poll of his may not have been conducted all that scientifically!  ;) 

"I'm no bible thumper, but let me tell you, Melvyn - John 8:1--11 expresses my feelings perfectly."

Dan:

Is that basically the same thing as Rule 8-1----ie Advice; Indicating Line of Play?

Actually, even though I'm somewhat afrighted that Melvyn Hunter Morrow might take great umbrage at this suggestion and offer on my part, I am very willing to offer to pay for a month long course on writing for him with our in-house writing instructors David Schmidt and Dan Kelly.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:12:36 PM by TEPaul »

PCCraig

"Starting a thread like you did really serves no purpose other than to call more attention to yourself. I held out hope that after you "quit" this site two weeks ago in a disagreement with Tom Paul that you wouldn't actually return, but look who's back after a few weeks..."

Pat Craig:

I definitely do not recall that Melvyn "quit" this site in a disagreement with me. Even though Melvyn seems to have "quit" this site a number of times or threatened to I think he "quit" the site a few weeks ago over a disagreement with Tom MacWood and I definitely would prefer it if you did not confuse me with Tom MacWood!  ::) ;)

My apologies for the confusion!
H.P.S.

Tim_Cronin

As the bobbie (bobby?) on Monty Python once said, "What's all this then?"

I have no idea why you're peeved at each other and am not going to go back looking for the reasons. I have another idea; to pose a question:

Was Woods' appearance this week good or bad for golf's short-term (1 to 3 years) growth?

Have at it.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Michael Dugger

I think all this emphasis being placed upon "what is good for the game" is a little overblown.

I'll tell you what isn't good for golf, it's called a recession/depression.

It's being priced out of the game.  While I'm sure Melvyn will attempt to make the case Tiger Woods is somehow responsible for everything, Tiger is simply a sign of the times.

It's high-maintenance budgets and overpriced POS resort clubs that are bad for golf.

Million dollar design fees.
John Daly's television show.
Robot women golfers

These things aren't good for golf.....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim_Kennedy

Tim,

TW's appearance was a ratings bonanza. That may not be seen as a boon by some, but the more eyes the merrier. The story line that was generated by Phil and the fellas was multi-faceted, loaded with human interest, and it took advantage of all the extra viewers even as it overshadowed the Wood's saga. Hopefully such a positive portrayal will lead to a bit of a spike in participation, but only time may tell.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

"I think all this emphasis being placed upon "what is good for the game" is a little overblown.

I'll tell you what isn't good for golf, it's called a recession/depression.

It's being priced out of the game.  While I'm sure Melvyn will attempt to make the case Tiger Woods is somehow responsible for everything, Tiger is simply a sign of the times.

It's high-maintenance budgets and overpriced POS resort clubs that are bad for golf.

Million dollar design fees.
John Daly's television show.
Robot women golfers

These things aren't good for golf....."

MichaelD:

Hmmm. You say what isn't good for golf is a recession or depression. OK, understood.

But then you say what also isn't good for the game is being priced out, high priced maintenance budgets, overpriced POS clubs, millions dollar design fees and such. OK, I undertand that too.

But doesn't the former generally take care of the latter historically in things like traditional economic cycles?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:22:43 PM by TEPaul »

PCCraig

Jerry Kessler:

If you believe Melyvn Hunter Morrow should be banned from this website perhaps you should just ask him to conduct another of his own polls on here by starting a thread asking if the participants on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com think he should be banned or whatever. I distinctly recall he did that himself within the year even though I don't remember the results of the poll he conducted on here by asking the participants of this website in a thread he started to vote on whether they felt he should stay or leave. I don't think he quit the site that time either even if that thread poll of his may not have been conducted all that scientifically!  ;) 

Perhaps Melvyn should consider this an updated poll.
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

Good night Pat,
do you want me to read you a bedtime story about Old Tom, oh yes don’t forget to clean your teeth first.

Night Son

Terry Lavin

Good night Pat,
do you want me to read you a bedtime story about Old Tom, oh yes don’t forget to clean your teeth first.

Night Son

Preaching to an ever-shrinking congregation.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brent Hutto

Was Woods' appearance this week good or bad for golf's short-term (1 to 3 years) growth?

No effect.

I've not seen any evidence Tiger has ever affected golf's short-term or long-term growth. Maybe he encourages a few people to buy some clubs, go to the driving range or show up at the golf course once or twice but that's small beans relative to the long-term trends affecting the game. In the current economic climate I don't think there's any growth out there for him to affect.

He did affect TV ratings and Tour purses but that's not "golf" by any stretch. And that effect, once again, has been trumped by economics in any case.

Melvyn Morrow

That my dear friend Terry its the definition of freedom, free people making their choice unlike some who would like to shut me up  - by my forced removal - slight difference, but you may have trouble spotting the dividing line.

Melvyn

PS Can we get back to the topic or is this going to be The Never Ending Story we talked about.

PCCraig

Good night Pat,

Night Son

Are you talking about your hamster or the golfer?
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back