News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Who Designed Glen Ridge?
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
Tom MacWood:

Not to speak FOR Dean but Dean and I have been speaking quite a bit on another medium recently and I think it is probably safe to say Dean may still be in the process of trying to consider and decide exactly how and where and with whom he would like to participate in this interesting investigation into some of the greater details of the entire evolution, architectural and otherwise, of Glen Ridge GC, a club and course he knows a considerable amount about and cares very very much about.

If you feel like you would really like to participate in that investigation and be a helpful part of that investigation I might suggest, for starters, you just delete your Post #48 on this thread as a sign of good faith and cooperation. The reason I suggest that is neither Dean nor anyone else interested and participating may be ready to consider or discuss the answer to a question like that one, AT THIS POINT. These things take time and patience and quite a lot of concentration, particularly when they involve more than just newspaper and magazine articles and the overt speculation about what they say and really mean.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:49:14 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
TEP
This is an open forum. If Dean doesn't want to answer my question, for whatever reason, that is his prerogative. He is a man and certainly doesn't need you speaking for him.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
Phil
What have you found to support the 1923 date?

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »
"TEP
This is an open forum. If Dean doesn't want to answer my question, for whatever reason, that is his prerogative. He is a man and certainly doesn't need you speaking for him."

Tom MacWood:

Apparently the realities of this website as well as the realities of the larger world of architectural investigation, discussion and eventual historical resolution amongst clubs and such are becoming a whole lot clearer whether you realize them or admit to them or not.

If Dean Paolucci wants to answer you himself on here or anywhere else or if he wants to do it through me or anyone else that is basically no business and no option of yours. If you don't feel like taking my suggestions to you or the suggestions of others indirectly through me or anyone else then please feel completely free not to do it, but understand that it may be at the risk of your own credibilty, reputation and access to the answers to the questions or information and things of that general nature on here or elsewhere.

At this point, I don't see a club willing to deal with you either directly or on here. If there are some somewhere then please inform me and the others on here who the hell they are. In the interest of golf architectural informational investigation and access we probably ought to know for pretty obvious reasons.  If you have any credibilty left with anyone or any club would you care to tell us who it is? I think some of us might be interested in trying to confirm it given your years long MO on this website----apparently your one and only source of contact or expression.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:57:25 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 10:54:49 PM »
If Dean doesn't want to answer my question so be it. People will continue to look for information, those approved and those not approved, and our understanding will continue to expand and evolve thanks to those approved or not approved. One thing for certain you will not be among those looking.

TEPaul

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:43 PM »
"If Dean doesn't want to answer my question so be it. People will continue to look for information, those approved and those not approved, and our understanding will continue to expand and evolve thanks to those approved or not approved. One thing for certain you will not be among those looking."

Approved and not approved??  ???

I don't think I need to wonder what that is or means Tom MacWood. It has been my hope that you would finally get to this point and it is gratifying to me that you actually said it yourself. It's been a long time coming.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »
Dean
Could you explain why you've chosen to subordinate the duties of speaking for Glen Ridge to TEP? Is he now your spokes person?

Peter Lees claimed to be involved with Glen Ridge and I don't believe he was working with Tilly in 1923, from what I've been able to gather they were working together in the teens. Is it possible Tilly was involved prior to 1923?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:41:37 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »
"Dean
Could you explain why you've chosen to subordinate the duties of speaking for Glen Ridge to TEP? Is he now your spokes person?"

Tom MacWood:

Believe me, Dean Paolucci is the kind of man who has no problem at all speaking for himself about Glen Ridge GC or anything else. But the fact that you ask questions like some that you have on here of him including the one quoted on this post might help answer your question above about why he may not care to speak with you or contribute to a thread you participate on.

And you mention Dean Paolucci's 'duties' of speaking for Glen Ridge!? What duties do you think those are and who do you think he has some "duty" to speak about Glen Ridge to? Do you actually think he has some "duty" to speak to you about Glen Ridge? And if you do, for some odd reason, what reason do you think that would be?  ;)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:37:43 AM by TEPaul »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
The 1923 date for Tilly comes from the club and their records. He was hired to do a course examination and make a report with recommendations. This is in agreement with his 1925 advertisement which lists this under that category. As the work involved as a result of his report only involved a couple of holes he didn't view the ciourse as a renovation as some here have referred to his work there as.

When or if Peter Lees was there is a separate question. Lees was on his own as an architect/course constructor by the at least the early 1920's if not 1919, yet he still didn't hesitate to call on Tilly for help if there were problems as happened at a course he designed in 1922 & Tilly was brought into help solve the problems. Ironically the course was built and made ready for seeding and then a year later another architect was called into to do a different project in its place... Sorry, but I need to be a bit vague on the identity of that one for now for reasons that will explain themselves in a bit...

Tom MacWood

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:45 AM »

The 1923 date for Tilly comes from the club and their records.

What records...is it in the club history? I take it you haven't visited the club and gone through their records.

Of the courses Tilly listed as examinations and reports which of them actually acted on his recommendations?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:17:24 AM by Tom MacWood »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »
I am your equal in this as I've never been to Glen Ridge nor have I personally examined their records. I trust the member there that I spoke with who has.

As far as your request, "Of the courses Tilly listed as examinations and reports which of them actually acted on his recommendations?" you're going to have to wait on this info as well. First the answer would necessarily be a long one which would lead to more questions and a lot of time which I honestly don't have at this moment because of two projects I am invovled with. I really do apologize for that.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Who Designed Glen Ridge? New
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
New York Herald, Thursday, August 31st, 1911

Is this the same Glen Ridge?, and if so, how does Richard Schermerhorn fit into the picture?  

edit: found a bit about RS: http://www.library.cornell.edu/Reps/DOCS/schermer.htm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:20:52 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back