News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re: Cypress Point Club (Pics)
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

Benham hit an 11 wood I believe and had about 60 yards or so from the right side.

It was a 9 wood and we didn't have color photography way back then ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »

Benham hit an 11 wood I believe and had about 60 yards or so from the right side.

It was a 9 wood and we didn't have color photography way back then ...

Surprised there were even cameras back then, to be honest....

Michael Dugger

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Something I've noticed from looking at this most recent set of pictures is the greens appear dinky compared to the past.

Am I missing something here or does #9 look puny, like it only really has 2-3 pins positions?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Sean Leary

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
Is it me but does 10 at CPC resemble 6 at Spyglass in terms of look? I can tell the differences and know one is a par 4 but they remind of each other. Especially in Jim's second and third pictures above...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:11:45 PM by Sean Leary »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
I basically didn't play the hole, as I hit my tee ball left and never found it. Pin was up top, and it was blowing REALLY hard downwind.

Benham hit an 11 wood I believe and had about 60 yards or so from the right side. With the wind blowing that hard it was impossible.

Also, I didn't "get " number 8, although I thought the green was great.  Need a few more playings, I think.  ;)

I concur with the "REALLY hard" notion  ;)

Sean

What do you mean by don't get # 8  ?

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
I basically didn't play the hole, as I hit my tee ball left and never found it. Pin was up top, and it was blowing REALLY hard downwind.

Benham hit an 11 wood I believe and had about 60 yards or so from the right side. With the wind blowing that hard it was impossible.

Also, I didn't "get " number 8, although I thought the green was great.  Need a few more playings, I think.  ;)

Sean

Obviously Kevin, what I mean is that it can't be much of a hole if YOU birdied it...

;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
By your logic - same goes for #18 then ?  ;)

Seriously - could you expand on your thoughts re: # 8 ?

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »

Sean

To be serious, to me it just doesn't live live up to its all-world reputation, like 9 did, thats all.  If the penalty wasn't so severe where driving it was a serious consideration, perhaps I would feel differently. And of course, I might just be an idiot.

Sean Leary

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
By your logic - same goes for #18 then ?  ;)

Exactly.  :) But everyone already knows about thats hole's shortcomings.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:21:44 PM by Sean Leary »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:32 PM »
To be serious, to me it just doesn't live live up to its all-world reputation, like 9 did, thats all.  If the penalty wasn't so severe where driving it was a serious consideration, perhaps I would feel differently. And of course, I might just be an idiot.

I wouldn't put #8 in the class of #9 but - I still reckon it's a very good hole.

For mine - it dares you to take as much of the dune (corner) on for the best line into the green. The classic risk v reward strategy. The green is really cool as well.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
guys,

what kind of carries are required on #8 over the corner?
Can you see any FW or landing area over the corner of the dune, the FW looks pretty narrow?

great pics

Brett
@theflatsticker

Sean Leary

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
guys,

what kind of carries are required on #8 over the corner?
Can you see any FW or landing area over the corner of the dune, the FW looks pretty narrow?

great pics

Brett

You cannot see over the dune, no. But the landing area is actually very wide. I am guessing a 200 yard carry over the dune...

J Sadowsky

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
Can someone here confirm to me that CPC now has minority members?  Thanks.

Mike Benham

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
Can someone here confirm to me that CPC now has minority members?  Thanks.

Why does it matter to you?

And I do not believe anyone on this board is a member (or has stated as such) so it is doubtful you will get an answer that is anything but second hand.

I recommend calling the club directly, their number is in the phone book.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

J Sadowsky

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I don't mean to criticize the CPC for its membership policies regardless of what they are, it only matters to a private extent. 

George Pazin

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
Thanks for the pix, Jim.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
Sean Leary, I have also seen old photos showing a muchn larger ninth green.  Did the photos you saw show the green zagging all the way to the top of the dune with exposed sandy areas tight to each side.  I have seen such a photo once, but I cannot find it now.  It looked truly awesome.

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »
Jim - Thank you for sharing these. Far and away the group of photos of CPC I've ever seen. Can't wait for the rest of them.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
Jim and Kyle: Playing the first 6-8 holes, how much were you in the moment enjoying what was before you and how much of you was thinking about 13-17?

I was mostly interested in getting photographs for posterity, savoring the fresh air and the rarefied views, and grinning uncontrollably. Occasionally I paused to try my best at hitting a decent shot, but my score was not even close to my central focus since my best scoring rounds always seem to be over in about 45 minutes. This was a time to absorb and explore.

Plus, as I've seen so many pictures of the place, I was almost as excited to play the inland holes as the coastal sequence.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
Jim,

Keep up the great job.

One question, what is the correct line and distance to hit it on 8?

Pup

The line is roughly at the clubhouse, with the meat of the fairway between ~240-260 yards away (downhill but into the prevailing wind). The fairway slopes away from the tee, so longer shots will often leave an approach that is more uphill and on a more challenging line with respect to the greenside bunkering. Yet, big bombers can aim further right, carrying more of the dune and yielding a small pitch onto the surface.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tim Bert

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Jim - the last good chance at birdie... 10?  15 is only a 9 iron or a wedge. That should have been a slam dunk 2 for you.  10 is only notable for the yummy cookies found after playing the hole.

Jed Peters

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
Jim - the last good chance at birdie... 10?  15 is only a 9 iron or a wedge. That should have been a slam dunk 2 for you.  10 is only notable for the yummy cookies found after playing the hole.

9 and 10 I thought were birdie holes, as was 15 and 17.

I hit just a little 9 on 15, and a flip wedge into 17.

Of course, the X I took on 16 kinda killed it!

Jim Colton

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
12th Hole - Par 4, 404 Yards
Unfortunately, my hole was effectively over before I even left the tee box, so I didn't get the chance to really enjoy this wonderful dogleg par 4.  What is remarkable, even from the pictures, is just how impossibly far the green in tucked back and right into the dune.  Flirting with the dune on the inside of the dogleg provides the best angle into the green.

13th Hole - Par 4, 366 Yards
What can you say...some of the most beautiful bunkering I've ever seen.  Driver is not essential here as the fairway begins to narrow at about 250 yards to the tee.  Heading back towards the ocean, the excitement level keeps ratcheting up as you know what's right around the corner.

Sean Leary

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 03:12:50 PM »
12 was the one hole that I didn't know a lot about before I played it, for some reason. One of my favorite holes out there. What a great hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »
I love the semi-blind drive over the berm on #13, with all that gorgeous bunker candy in the background!   ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back