News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

WHERE GOLF IS GREAT
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:03:25 PM »

James W Finegan's book states in the introduction "Over the years, many friends aiming to play golf in the British Isles have asked me the same question: Scotland or Ireland? The answer is also simple: both"

Is it a wash?

Considering Northern Ireland and Ireland togethher since they inhabit the same island, lets for the sake of discussion compare the two islands. For those sticklers out there (Northern Ireland and Ireland) VS (Scotland,England and Wales).

How are they alike?

How do they differ?

Is one better than the other?

Discuss...

David_Tepper

Re: WHERE GOLF IS GREAT
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Anthony -

I would say the Top 10 in Ireland might be even better than the to Top 10 in Scotland, but the Top 100 in Scotland is way better than the Top 100 in Ireland.

The density of quality courses in Scotland is far superior.

Frankly, one could argue that, for both quality & quantity, England surpasses both Ireland & Scotland.

DT 

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
Frankly, one could argue that, for both quality & quantity, England surpasses both Ireland & Scotland.

DT 

And for variety. You could scream it from the rooftops, but the masses still wouldn't listen.

From a south London base, you have Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports, Littlestone, Rye, Sunningdale (x2), Berkshire (x2), Wentworth (x2), Woburn (x3), Swinley Forest, Huntercombe, Woking, West Hill, Worplesdon, New Zealand, St George's Hill, Walton Heath (x2), The Addington, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown Forest, Hankley Common etc etc at your disposal within a 80-90min drive (and most of them within 30min) on comfortable motorways.

Drive two hours west for a few days' R&R after that feast and you have Burnham & Berrow, Royal Porthcawl, Pennard, Royal North Devon, Saunton (x2) and St Enodoc within easy reach...

But far be it for me to dissuade the masses from spending a 7-10 day visit driving the length and bredth of Scotland or Ireland on narrow roads to get their kicks.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »

DT 

And for variety. You could scream it from the rooftops, but the masses still wouldn't listen.

From a south London base, you have Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports, Littlestone, Rye, Sunningdale (x2), Berkshire (x2), Wentworth (x2), Woburn (x3), Swinley Forest, Huntercombe, Woking, West Hill, Worplesdon, New Zealand, St George's Hill, Walton Heath (x2), The Addington, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown Forest, Hankley Common etc etc at your disposal within a 80-90min drive (and most of them within 30min) on comfortable motorways.

Drive two hours west for a few days' R&R after that feast and you have Burnham & Berrow, Royal Porthcawl, Pennard, Royal North Devon, Saunton (x2) and St Enodoc within easy reach...

But far be it for me to dissuade the masses from spending a 7-10 day visit driving the length and bredth of Scotland or Ireland on narrow roads to get their kicks.

Is it because of press?

Anthony

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
I would arge that several regions of England beat Scotland and Ireland for depth and variety of quality golf, I'm not talking the top 10s here.

East Anglia is a good example and has some very good low top and high second tier courses. Brancaster, Hunstanton (if Gordon Irvine's rescue succeeds), Sheringham, Aldeburgh, Kings Lynn, Royal Worlington, Thetford & Purdis Heath.

Cave Nil Vino

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
I presume Finegan never did a book on England. And, I suppose that's why it is not in Where Golf is Great.

Am I correct?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »
Garland -

Mr. Finegan has written a book about the English golf courses. It is called "Golf Courses Great And Small."

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
Thanks DT. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:15 AM »
Mr. Finegan has written a book about the English golf courses. It is called "Golf Courses Great And Small."

David, Garland,

Its "All Courses Great and Small" as in "All Creatures Great and Small" from the James Herriot novel and therefore the hymn also. Sorry to be pedantic.

If we can get an Aussie singing the praises of England then there must be something going for a golf trip here  ;D  Maybe England doesn't appear as romantic or picturesque? I know a lot of American's go to Scotland or Ireland because of their family history?

But there are plenty of options in England also. A holiday in the Peak District, the most popular National Park in the country, could be combined with plenty of golf. MacKenzie's Cavendish would be on your doorstep. You could head south east to Robin Hood country and Notts, Lindrick and Sherwood Forest (bit further east for Woodhall Spa or bit further south for Beau Desert), head north east to Yorkshire and Alwoodley and Moortown (bit further north for Ganton) or head west for the Lancashire coast and the likes of Birkdale, Formby etc etc. What more could you want?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back