News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Re: Erin Hills Update
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Here is the updated link: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-01/golf_erin_hills_ginella_0125

A Journey's End
Wisconsin's Erin Hills could well land the 2017 U.S. Open, but for the man who nearly went broke pursuing that prize, the quest is over
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Scott Weersing

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
Scott,

It doesn't seem like turning a profit is a big issue for the new owner....I think he may very well be willing to run it at a loss. 

How much of a loss will it be if you are only open 10 weeks in 2010?

I wonder if he can get an advanced payment from the USGA like Chambers Bay received. It has been reported that Chambers Bay received nearly a million dollar advance to build new tees and a new range.

Chris Kaebisch

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »
So who thinks the US Open is coming to Wisconsin in 2017????

Rob Miller

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:35 AM »
I would be very surprised if EH doesn't get the 2017 Open.

Its just unfortunate Bob Lang won't get the kudos he deserves when the announcement is made.

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »
No offense to Wisconsin or Erin Hills but I don't.

They are waiting on making the announcement until after the US Am. I'm not sure the top Am's will like the course enough to "rave" about it IMO. Doesn't mean its a bad golf course, just much different than a traditional US Open venue.

With that doubt in their minds, as well as having to compete with the hospitality dollars in between a PGA and Ryder Cup in Kohler, will raise enough doubt in the USGA's mind to at least push a potential US Open there back a few years.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:19:41 AM by Pat Craig »
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »
I am pretty sure it's a done deal.  If the course doesn't hold up well to the Amateur, they will just make some more changes.

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Pat:

Well, the USGA is going to put the 2017 US Open somewhere, and it will have been since 2003 (Olympia Fields) that the USGA held its largest and most profitable tournament in the Midwest. Every single US Open from 2004 to 2016 has been held on/is scheduled for either the West or East Coast (I'm including Pittsburgh in the latter :)) or at Pinehurst. The USGA likes moving this thing around, and I can't imagine they don't want to tap into the Midwest market sooner than later.

Been to Cog Hill #4 lately? I think the 2017 or 2018 US Open comes down to that or Erin Hills.

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »
The old second green is the poster child for the GCA/USGA debate.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Wagner

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
No offense to Wisconsin or Erin Hills but I don't.

They are waiting on making the announcement until after the US Am. I'm not sure the top Am's will like the course enough to "rave" about it IMO. Doesn't mean its a bad golf course, just much different than a traditional US Open venue.

Pat, the same is being said for Chambers.  All I can say is the powers that be love both Chambers and EH.

Will Peterson

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »
Having grown up in Wisconsin I would love to see the Open there, but I don't see how they could do it at EH.  Where does everyone stay?  Yes there is a lot of room for parking and grandstands at EH, but its down a long two lane road miles from anything resembling a city with any infrastructure needed for such a large event.  I have heard that mentioned before, but wouldn't that weigh heavily on the USGA decision makers?

Mike Wagner

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
Will,

I can tell you this:  that was the first "check off" on their list - it's a non-issue as it's just no that far from Milwaukee..  The logistics are not that bad, and there's plenty of time for preparation.  There are many more famous venues with tougher logistics - WF comes to mind....even Pebble for getting in/out.  Heck, they pull off a PGA in Kohler....it doesn't get any worse than that!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
Sounds like Shinnecock
Coasting is a downhill process

Phil McDade

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Opening Aug. 1 of this year (tentative ;)):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/91274844.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back