News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Take Me Home Country Roads......a return to my golfing roots
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
You've played some of the greatest courses in the world.  Would you say that playing White Day is less fun?

It is so pure that it is great fun. I remember at an early age enjoying the architecture of the course as mushy as that sounds. The isolation is wonderful and the options on the next few holes are exceptional.

I had the chance of playing Pete Dye or White Day on this day and I choose White Day. Very few things in life are pure,White Day is one of them.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
sort of reminds me of a course we'd see from one of sean arble's winter tour threads. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
sort of reminds me of a course we'd see from one of sean arble's winter tour threads. 

The dirt infront of the green helps to bounce the ball in. Fast and firm.

Anthony

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
What's the green fee?

And condolences to the families of the miners. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 12:10:32 PM »

Hole 4

The strongest hole on the course. Green falls off ever side and is elevated. A beast from the blue tee.

Bach toward the tee

In the past a creek ran in the low area. Again the creek added great character to this hole but more to the next one.

Today I hit the punch driver short. Chiped close and missed the 18 incher for par. A little bumpy this time of year.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
What's the green fee?

And condolences to the families of the miners. 

Mountaineer brother I'm not sure. When I was leaving Tuffy came to my car and handed me some money thinking I was going to play 18.

Anthony

GBoring

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »
Anthony,

Great post.  Reminds me of my early days of playing golf.  I played White Day a few times in High School Golf.  I grew up playing Green Hills CC about 15 minutes from White Day.  That is where I was instilled with the passion for Golf Course Maintenance.  I was able to play the Pete Dye Club and Tygart Lake the weekend that I ran into you.  I always thought Tygart was just a fun golf course to play.  I won't be able to make it back until the Fall.  We were able to get off to an early start in Northeast PA.  Hope all is well.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Anthony,
Thanks for sharing.  Reminds me of the munis in Buffalo I grew up playing.  Boy, those were fun days, and a return trip always brings back great memories.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »

Par 5   5th  My former favorite. A creek that diagnolly bisected the fairway has been run underground. It is now in the landing area for metal drivers. In the past in was onlt reachable by the strongest players. Shame.

Tee Marker

Tee Box

Left side of faiiway where the best archetectual feature used to flow.

From the tee. The balldisapears over the hill 180-2000 out.

Looking back to the tee.

Former creek area.

Ground is mushy where creek has been filled in.

A great loss

MUSH

Approach to the green. Maybe the only mam-made features on the course.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »
Anthony,

What do you estimate the maintenance budget at?

Perhaps the equivalent of a bottle of champagne at the Pink Kitty? (Sounds like a strip club but is not)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 03:10:09 PM »
Anthony,

Perhaps the equivalent of a bottle of champagne at the Pink Kitty? (Sounds like a strip club but is not)

You do know the golf business. Great estimate that only comes from years of experience.

Anthony

Mike Cirba

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Anthony,

Great stuff...really enjoying

On a GCA-related note, this may be the greatest architectural attribution challenge this site has ever seen.

Is there any available documentation to tell us who designed White Day?

I can pretty much guarantee that neither CB Macdonald or Hugh Wilson or even Robert White was involved, so we can probably rest easy that our discussions will not turn into another chapter of the Hatfields and McKoy's!  ;)  ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »
Anthony,

You do know the golf business. Great estimate that only comes from years of experience.

Anthony

Nah, that was only my second time in the kitty... dragged there once by a club owner from Acapulco who wanted to come in a dominate the club scene and then by an aspiring mariachi band member who takes money from small children.

I need to upgrade my acquaintances.

Scary thing is White Day reminds me a lot of the course I grew up on.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »
Anthony,

Anthony

Nah, that was only my second time in the kitty... dragged there once by a club owner from Acapulco who wanted to come in a dominate the club scene and then by an aspiring mariachi band member who takes money from small children.

I need to upgrade my acquaintances.

Scary thing is White Day reminds me a lot of the course I grew up on.

I gave that kid back some change.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
  Hole 6   One of the best green sites in the world. Puchbowlish with creek guarding the back. At around 300 yards and hard ground it makes your mouth water. Almost mandatory to roll the ball on. any shot hitting the downslope infront of the grreen ends up in the water. Great scotish feel.

Yellow flag is barely visable indirect center of tee markers.

Flag barely visable in punchbowl.

Green in bowl and creek behind.

Best green site in the world.

Almost Heaven.....Today I ran a 9-iron 25 yards and watched it disapear. Two putt from 3 feet. Nice to be back home.

Anthony

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
Anthony -- What a cool place! This reminds me of the stuff I grew up on in Nebraska and probably don't appreciate any more. A quick question, as this in common place in here: Does the course use two teeing grounds for each nine allowing you to play "18" or not? That's standard here. 18 tees and 9 greens.

Thanks again!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »
Anthony -- What a cool place! This reminds me of the stuff I grew up on in Nebraska and probably don't appreciate any more. A quick question, as this in common place in here: Does the course use two teeing grounds for each nine allowing you to play "18" or not? That's standard here. 18 tees and 9 greens.

Thanks again!

It does now Tony. Good question.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
Awesome. Can't wait to see the last three holes.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
Anthony,

After seeing that greensite for the 6th, we really do need to find out who the madman/genius was who laid out White Day.

Or, would you prefer it remain attributed to (to steal a phrase from Tom Doak), "an unknown troubled soul"?

I'm loving this tour....thanks, again!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:45:29 AM by Mike_Cirba »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the picture taking efforts, but I gotta admit...what a dog track!!!   ;D

P.S.  I really love that punch bowl 6th with the penalty left for getting too frisky on the approach shot.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the picture taking efforts, but I gotta admit...what a dog track!!!   ;D

P.S.  I really love that punch bowl 6th with the penalty left for getting too frisky on the approach shot.

That green site is really pure genius or plain dumb luck. The course does play linksy because they do not water the fairways. Hole 8 is a classic.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
Anthony,

After seeing that greensite for the 6th, we really do need to find out who the madman/genius was who laid out White Day.

Or, would you prefer it remain attributed to (to steal a phrase from Tom Doak), "an unknown troubled soul"?

I'm loving this tour....thanks, again!

Mike,

Thank you for you kind comments. The course really does have alot of architectural merrit. I believe because of its "minimalism" if I can use that word. Filling in the creek killed the 5th hole, but there is a strong heart beat running threw this course. And Ivan put great passion into it.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
  Hole 7  150-170

Another great green site. creek guards the left. Bank on right propels ball onto the gree. Site of my first birdie. Love this hole. Tee box for hole 2 is on top of the bank so it makes for a good view for players playing to the green. Creek was better kept in the past and full of crawdads. Memorable hole with architectural signifigance.

Anthony

Jason Topp

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
The best thing about this thread is that I would, without a doubt, have a great time playing this course.  Imagine how affordable the game would be if there were many courses maintained in this fashion.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »
The best thing about this thread is that I would, without a doubt, have a great time playing this course.  Imagine how affordable the game would be if there were many courses maintained in this fashion.

There is a certain purity to it.

ARG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back