News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

The Phoenix Golf Course
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:11:41 PM »
Any aficionados out there with experience on Tim Nugent's Columbus, Ohio, landfill course, The Phoenix?  I'm playing it on Saturday and will post pictures to my photobucket site.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris_Blakely

Re: The Phoenix Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:15 AM »
Any aficionados out there with experience on Tim Nugent's Columbus, Ohio, landfill course, The Phoenix?  I'm playing it on Saturday and will post pictures to my photobucket site.
I played the course a couple of years ago and enjoyed the course a lot.  The last 3 holes were quirky and fun - enjoy.

Chris

Zack Molnar

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:42:55 AM »
I have played the course a couple of times and I actually kind of enjoy it. There are some good holes on it, a couple good short par 4's especially. The greens are also rather interesting as well. There is a lot of wind since it is raised on the landfill. But overall a fun course. The setting I would say is the biggest detractor. There is a gravel pit right next to it as a well as a highway. So just keep your eyes on the course and you should be fine  ;)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
I played it, and enjoyed it very much! I will post some pics in a bit. I need to send them to photobucket.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
The course was extremely fun to play. We walked 18 2 years ago on Memorial Day, $26. I remembered the fairways really allowed the ball to run out nicely. If this was closer, I would play here a lot more.

Here are some pics:

Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised by The Phoenix Golf Links...we played in overcast skies for nine holes, then in rain for another nine.  The majority of the course (16 of 18 hole) sits up on the capped landfill.  We saw a few spots where the methane gas had slightly burned fairway or rough grass, but that was incredibly mild and impacted play not in the least.

The course was NOT a photographer's dream, owing to the basic run of it.  Much like links courses, you need to be elevated in order to get a great shot of the holes.  Due to the rain, I only have about 115 shots, most from the front nine.  I imagine that, with a full day (dawn, noon and dusk lighting) to shoot, one could eventually find the best shots, angles, vistas, etc., for photography.

The course itself is a faux-links in that it seeks to emulate the fast and firm stylings of sand-soil tracks.  For a wet May 1st, it did indeed run.  I can only imagine how it runs on summer days.  Across the street from the course is a quarry and the management of both businesses have worked out a deal to supply Phoenix with all the water it needs.  We saw the two storage ponds near capacity, with more water pouring in from the quarry.  Nice agreement to have.

The picture of the drop-shot par three that Richard posted is #17, with 18 playing away from the clubhouse, across a third large storage pond, to a green enclosed in a glade.  The shots on these two holes are the most visually challenging on the course.  The first 16, like all good courses, present heroic and safe options.  The only true nemesis is large amounts of thick, secondary rough, but you must be well off the fairway (or have taken too aggressive an angle) to get into this stuff.

The greens are quite challenging.  I can imagine some of them being nearly unputtable, with some unpinable spots in summer's heat.  The par fives are all interesting and none is unreachable in two, so eagles and birdies are within the wheelhouse, especially with summer's firmness.  An interesting fact is the transitional nature of the course.  With the landfill continuously in a state of settling, greens and fairways change from year to year.  This does impact tees, unfortunately, so you occasionally have to scope out flat spots.

I'm off to a coaching clinic here in Columbus (alliteration!) but I'll upload to photobucket later and link the folder to a later post.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
Ron & Rich, thanks for the kind words and pics.  Columbus is harf to get to, so I haven't been there for quite some time (although I do get updates from some Hurdzan/Fry guys who like to play there).  You're right in that it isn't a very photographic course as everything is fairly low profile due to the wind.  Due to the lean soils we had to work with, it was apparent that the course would play firm and fast - which is an ideal way to offset the winds. so, I tried to keep the golfer down - in contact with the holes, rather than set up high - over looking them.  So the holes were routed relatively parallel with the contours, rather than perpendicular to them.  I'd be interested in seeing how the greens have reacted to the loading of the soils needed for construction (just to flatten out the green sites).  I anticipated some settling and took pre-emptive action but it's always just an educated guesstamation.

It seems that they have rounded out most of the bunker edges - something that is frustrating for an architect to see. (and those 2 reveted bunkers aren't mine).  Tees are perhaps the one detriment to a landfill course.  Golfers expect the tee to be perfectly level - I have even had a young, wet-behind-the ears USGA Green Section guy chastise a 30 yr shaper for NOT using a lazer-level box on tees.  I laughed  and bet him that shaper could eyeball to a 1/10 (of course he didn't take the bet).  I have determined that more, small tees - tather than several large tees is the way to go.  With the small ones, they have less area to appear unlevel and if one gets bad, it's usually a cross-slope issue and you can take it out of play, correct it and use the others while it grows in.  (Or you can take a page out of my friend Bruce Charlton's book  (RTJII -Chambers Bay) and say - 'that's how they are supposed to be - so the golfer can choose the lie that will assist his intended shape of the flight path.

Also, they must have reversed the nines as the little par 3 over the creek was initially #8.  I made a chipping green behind the range tee and a series of turf nursries that could double as tees that were sited between MY 9 and 10 so that if they ever had to take a hole out-of-play due to landfill issues, it could serve as a par 3 (either #9 or 10) sepending on which 9 lost a hole.  Maybe they found that to be too long of a walk between holes.

Also, it doesn't appear they ever built the clubhouse I envisioned where the front was 2 stories but the rear (landfill side) was only the upper story and a deck extended out to connect to the landfill grade.

Coasting is a downhill process

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »
Dear Tim,

No, the clubhouse is still a temporary structure I believe. I actually did not get to play #18 as slow play had me leaving early to pick up my son from a party. Overall, the course is excellent, especially considering the industrial area it is located in. That par 3 with the rocks is a EXCELLENT hole IMO, and if the wind is in your face can really make club selection difficult.

It is a shame that something you envision, then create, gets changed over time by the people who operate the course. Lack of attention to detail I guess.....

Tim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
Richard, Hope for the Best and expect the Worst and you'll never be Disappointed - or at least that's what Mom always said.
That par 3, I envisioned a knock-down or punch shot but expected most golfers would foolishly put a high iron up in the air and the back/quartering wind would cause it to drift towards the creek. The angle and narrowness of the green are it's primary defenses. And flying it in to a rear pin is tougher than landing shirt and chasing it back there - but most golfers will take dead-aim - no matter what logic dictates.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/Phoenix%20Golf%20Links/

Here is the link...Tim, I forgot that you are on here!  I'll have more to say later...I'm currently at a coaching seminar at Cook's Creek, south of Columbus.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
Nothing takes your breath away like the Columbus skyline!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
Tim,
They flipped the nines because the people were stopping for food after 7 and holding up play.  With the par 3 as #17 now, there is less of a need for food now.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/Phoenix%20Golf%20Links/

Here is the link...Tim, I forgot that you are on here!  I'll have more to say later...I'm currently at a coaching seminar at Cook's Creek, south of Columbus.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
Tim,
I sent you a personal message on here...check it out.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
Tim,
They flipped the nines because the people were stopping for food after 7 and holding up play.  With the par 3 as #17 now, there is less of a need for food now.

Interesting, a course that didn't let F&B profit get in the way of Speed of Play. Although the only ones to get backed up would be those not buying anything and running into those that just did.  A course in Chicago - Seven Bridges - actually got a street vendor Hotdog cart and stationed it adjacent to the 10th tee to service players without them having to go into the clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back