News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Macdonald and/or Raynor 1910-1916
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
Pat:

Actually the 15th green and tee is on that plan; it's just that the hole is not outlined like most (but not all) of the rest.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

How many prototypical template holes does the course have today?

Probably six (6) maybe more.

How many do you see in the plan?

Four to Five.
But, the very ROUGH schematic doesn't detail any green contours.
It's a rudimentary drawing at best.

TEPaul,

There is a green left of the 9th green that's probably the 15th, but, the location of the tee appears to be in or immediately adjacent to the 10th fairway.

I wouldn't equate the rough schematic with a detailed "as built".

Tom MacWood

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
Pat
I would agree the plan is not a detailed depiction of the course, but it is plan that gives the general size, shape and location of the bunkers, and they are a contrast to the course as built. And the course as built is atypical of Raynor.

Here is a close up of the 15th.

How many prototypical templates are found at Westhampton?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:59:31 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
"And the course as built is atypical of Raynor."

Tom MacWood:

It is? Have you ever been to Westhampton GC? 

Tom MacWood

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2010, 05:57:47 AM »
I have not, but I've studied the design enough to know it is atypical for two primary reasons, the small number of template holes and the distinct mounds. Also the clustering of bunkers in some places is unusual for Raynor. Those features make perfect sense considering Barker was involved.

TEPaul

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2010, 08:15:43 AM »
Reply #77
"And the course as built is atypical of Raynor."

Reply #78:
“Tom MacWood:
It is? Have you ever been to Westhampton GC?”

Reply #79
“I have not, but I've studied the design enough to know it is atypical for two primary reasons, the small number of template holes and the distinct mounds. Also the clustering of bunkers in some places is unusual for Raynor. Those features make perfect sense considering Barker was involved.”

Tom MacWood:
If you’ve studied the design of Westhampton without even going to the course or speaking with anyone from it enough to know it is atypical of Raynor for the reasons you just gave above, how did you go about studying the course and its architectural evolution to know those things? Do you know what the architecture and architectural features of the course looked like when it was opened for play? Have you tracked the architectural changes to the course through its history and if so how have you done that? Do you know what was removed at any time or put back at any time? Do you know who did any of it? Have you ever even considered things like that? Have you ever spoken with anyone at the club to even attempt to find out any of this? Do you even know who Mike Rewinski is? Have you ever met him or spoken to him about any of this? When you talk about clustering of bunkering and distinct mounds what point in the evolution of the course are you talking about with those kinds of features?

These are the kinds of things a good architectural researcher/analyst/historian needs to do in a comprehensive and competent investigation of the architecture of any old course through time or at any point in time. This kind of investigation and analysis cannot be done with just an old schematic drawing and a couple of old newspaper articles which seems to be all you have or are aware of with Westhampton.

So, is that all you’ve done? And if so, do you plan on doing more or are you just going to assume things like you did on Reply #79 without even contacting the club or anyone from it as seems to be your MO with other courses you’ve claimed on here to know something about their histories such as Pine Valley, Merion, Myopia, North Shore and apparently now Westhampton?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »
TEP
Yes I know Mike R. and I've contacted him in the past regarding Westhampton. I've also discussed it with Raynorphile Ran Morrissett. And I could care less about your thoughts on good architectural researcher/analyst/historians. If you have anything of substance to add to this thread add it, if not go away and hijack someone else's.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:28:55 AM by Tom MacWood »

JC Jones

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »
TEP
Yes I know who Mike R. is and I have contacted him in the past regarding Westhampton. I've also discussed it with Raynorphile Ran Morrissett. And I could care less about your thoughts on good architectural researcher/analyst/historians. If you have anything of substance to add to this thread add it, if not go away and hijack someone else's.

Not to completely thread jack but curiosity is killing this cat.  What are the things you do/could care less about than Tom Paul's thoughts on good architectural researcher/analyst/historians?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
"TEP
Yes I know who Mike R. is and I have contacted him in the past regarding Westhampton. I've also discussed it with Raynorphile Ran Morrissett. And I could care less about your thoughts on good architectural researcher/analyst/historians. If you have anything to add to this thread add it, if not go away and hijack someone else's thread."

Well, Tom MacWood, that last reply is just another really good example of your very same, very constant and screwed up MO and attitude on this website!

And that's too bad you say you couldn't care less about my thoughts on good architectural research/analysis/historians. You seem to feel that way about what anyone else knows or has done in this vein other than yourself. Matter of fact, I think it has become extremely obvious to everyone on this site who has remotely followed any of these kinds of threads you participate on that your only interest on here is to somehow come across on this website as a competent researcher and analysis (I note that you have often referred to yourself on here as an 'expert researcher/historian' ;) )! To appear to be considered as a competent researcher/analyst all you ever do is post various bits of information from old newspapers and such, and you generally follow that up with commentary on here that anyone who does not do that isn't offering anything of importance on the architectural histories of these old courses. I also note that some of us on here don't do that, in some cases because we don't even know how to post material on here. That would include both me and Pat Mucci. Do you actually think that it then follows that we know nothing about some of these clubs and courses that we have spent our lives on or familiar with them and their memberships?  ???

The way you try to do this kind of investigation and analysis just isn't the way good and comprehensive golf architectural research/analysis of these old courses is done even though you constantly struggle to understand that or admit it.

The point is no one can do this stuff well without a really good working relationship with these clubs and the people at them who can provide the important information on any course's architectural history and evolution that cannot and never will be found in newspapers and magazines. There basically are no exceptions to this process and you are definitely not an exception to it either.

As anyone who understands this stuff knows that is just what good golf architecture researchers/analysts/historians do; they all do it and you don't, and consequently it shows clearly on here in the way you go about these investigations and the way you go about the discussions of them on these kinds of threads.

I spent a lot of time on that golf course over the years with Mike Rewinski and a bunch of members who have been there a long time and have a lot of knowledge and old information material on it, and that is pretty essential to have and to do for anyone who wants to know much about the architectural evolution and history of that golf course. Mike Rewinski has been out there a long time; his whole life actually and his family is one of those generational superintendent families on Eastern Long Island. Matter of fact, his uncle was the super at NGLA.

You mention some distnct mounds on Westhampton. You might like to know (at some point ;) ) that Mike Rewinski himself built a number of those distinct mounds but that is something you obviously don't know because for whatever your bizarre reasons are you just DO NOT think you need to put in the time and the effort the rest of us do that is necessary to really understand the architectural histories of courses like this.

As I've said to you many times on here over the years, you are a very good raw researcher on mostly indirect material out there somewhere such as old newspaper and magazine and periodical articles and the occasional plan or photograph sometimes contained in them but for competent and comprehensive analysis of any course's architectural history you are just not good or competent at all because you can only do far less than half of it given that you never go to these clubs and courses which is not just necessary to do, it is essential to do if you ever want to really know and understand them and their complete architectural origins, evolutions and histories!

JC Jones

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »

And that's too bad you say you couldn't care less about my thoughts on good architectural research/analysis/historians.

You are construing his words again Tom Paul.  He did not say that.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

TEPaul

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
"You are construing his words again Tom Paul.  He did not say that."

JC:

Yes, I guess I am "construing" MacWood's words again. I probably shouldn't do that but since he is generally fairly inarticulate in the way he writes (and thinks and analyzes) I did correct what he said (without a "sic") from 'I could care less.....' to "I couldn't care less....." since that is the way it should be written for articulateness and clarity!  ;)

But my essential message and point to him which he continues to avoid and continues to fail to consider is that the kind of comprehensive research/analysis he seems to want to achieve somehow, cannot be done the way he goes about it. And if he continues to go about it the way he has he will need to depend upon the information of those who have gone about it the proper way which to date he seems unable or unwilling to do. I will continue to reiterate that point and message to him until he finally gets it, as I believe anyone interested in really good research and analysis must.

For the record and so as not to "construe" his words, this is cut and pasted and exactly what he said on Reply #81:

"And I could care less about your thoughts on good architectural researcher/analyst/historians. If you have anything of substance to add to this thread add it, if not go away and hijack someone else's."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:31:39 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
JC:

Since MacWood just accused me of hijacking this thread do you think it would be appropriate to ask him exactly what he means in detail by one of his statements today?

Viz:

"I have not, but I've studied the design enough to know it is atypical for two primary reasons, the small number of template holes and the distinct mounds. Also the clustering of bunkers in some places is unusual for Raynor. Those features make perfect sense considering Barker was involved."

So let's ask him some questions to see if he's capable of answering them or inclined to do so----OR NOT. ;)

To wit:

What are the template holes or template features at Westhampton in his opinion?

Where are the distinct mounds on the course in his opinion?

When were they originally built?

Were they ever removed and if so when and by whom?

Were they ever restored or rebuilt and if so when, why and by whom?

What did Barker do specifically at GCGC?

Did he specifically do mounds and if so where exactly are they or where were they and what is it that implies he did them?

Were these kinds of mounds exclusive to GCGC or did Macdonald/Raynor do some too at NGLA or Piping Rock before Westhampton?

Don't you think discussing remarks like that is appropriate on this thread JC? Do you think MacWood will think it's appropriate? Do you think he will actually try to answer them without his usual deflection?

I guess we will see at some point.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:21:48 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »

I would agree the plan is not a detailed depiction of the course, but it is plan that gives the general size, shape and location of the bunkers, and they are a contrast to the course as built.

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

The schematic, which is very, very rough in terms of detail does depict the template holes.
Just look at # 3 the Punchbowl, # 7, the Redan, # 11 the Short and # 17 the Biarritz.
The other holes, such as # 14, the Plateau don't have the internal putting surface contours depicted and it's those contours that define the hole.
So, I'd disagree with you with respect to the the absence of identifiable templates in the schematic.

And the course as built is atypical of Raynor.

I would disagree with that as well.
I also don't know how you can make that assessment when you've never seen the golf course.

Here is a close up of the 15th.

How many prototypical templates are found at Westhampton?

In a previous response I indicated six that really stick out.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Pat
#3 is a prototypical template hole? You are the first person to suggest #14 is a Plateau. I count 3 template holes...what is the average number of template holes per Raynor course? Is Westhampton unique in that respect?

TEPaul

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »
Patrick:

Shock of all SHOCKS----eg in your post #87 I wholeheartedly agree with every single thing you say. That's a FIRST but it probably has a lot to do with who you are disagreeing with on that post and what he said that you're disagreeing with!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:27 PM »
"I count 3 template holes...what is the average number of template holes per Raynor course? Is Westhampton unique in that respect?"

What is the average number of Macdonald/Raynor template holes HH Barker ever did on a golf course?  Is Westhampton unique in that respect?   :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:41:00 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
TEP
To my knowledge Barker didn't have any Macdonald template holes on any of his courses, unless you count the templates CBM borrowed from GCGC. On the other hand Westhampton is the only collaboration I know of between Barker and any of the CBM team. Its not unprecedented, Tilly's courses featured CBM features when they were being built by Peter Lees.

Did Westhampton have the templates when it opened in 1915?

TEPaul

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
Tom MacWood:

What template holes did CBM borrow from GCGC? To know what template holes Westhampton had in 1915 I would need to first know the date of that Westhampton diagram that is posted on here.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Sorry Tom, but your belief that Tilly was influenced by CBM is mistaken as I've shown on other threads in the past. "Tilly's courses featured CBM features when they were being built by Peter Lees..."

Lees built TILLINGHAST features on Tilly's courses.

TEPaul

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
Philip:

Your point in your last post is a good one about Tillinghast. It seems like some on here have become so fixated by Macdonald and/or his so-called template holes over here they might be forgetting that a number of his so-called Template holes such as the Redan are not templates of Macdonald's at all but templates from famous holes abroad that were the prototypes for certain holes done over here by a number of architects such as Tillinghast.  

Macdonald didn't create those template holes; matter of fact it does not even appear he originally selected some of them as the most famous or respected holes of various types abroad----eg that was done by others abroad in a magazine contest or poll around 1900. All Macdonald did is first decide to reuse them or some of their most important features in American architecture. But he didn't invent them and as just shown he didn't even first select some of the most prominent of them (Alps, Redan, Eden Road etc) as the most respected holes and features and principles abroad---others did that before him and he was just the first to actually mimic some of them over here.

But he didn't conceive of them or even originate them and he certainly wasn't the only American architect who saw them abroad and perhaps appreciated their excellence and long before NGLA ever existed or had been thought of. Tillinghast was most certainly abroad and familiar with architecture over there long before Macdonald even came up with the idea of mimicking GB holes at NGLA as were a number of other American Architects particularly of the "amateur/sportsman" variety.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:52:53 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
Tom MacWood:

What template holes did CBM borrow from GCGC? To know what template holes Westhampton had in 1915 I would need to first know the date of that Westhampton diagram that is posted on here.

The 5th at GCGC was a template hole used at Tailer's Ocean Links and the Greenbriar. The plan is undated and unattributed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:32:22 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
Sorry Tom, but your belief that Tilly was influenced by CBM is mistaken as I've shown on other threads in the past. "Tilly's courses featured CBM features when they were being built by Peter Lees..."

Lees built TILLINGHAST features on Tilly's courses.

Very insightful, I take it you believe Tilly's persona was so great that he was never influenced by colleagues like George Low, Peter Lees and Billy Bell.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »
Sorry Tom, but Tilly SPECIFICALLY wrote that he had design philosophical differences with CBM and with bothers. For example, just look up the recent thread in which Joe Bausch (I believe it was him) presented the newspaper article written by Tilly in which he discussed length of par-5s and how he greatly differed with Mackenzie.

By the way, since Tilly wrote literally volumes about golf course design, can you cite any references where he praised specific design features of other contemporaneous architects and then stated that he would use them himself?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:23:16 AM by Philip Young »

TEPaul

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »
"Very insightful, I take it you believe Tilly's persona was so great that he was never influenced by colleagues like George Low, Peter Lees and Billy Bell."

Tom MacWood:

Why do you take it Philip Young believes that? Did he ever say that?

For our purposes on here we all should probably refrain from making statements that appear to be consclusions that anyone was influenced by anyone else architecturally unless they actually said they were or wrote that they were, or at the very least someone who was very familiar with them contemporaneously mentioned that they were. I don't necessarily have anything against speculation if it's presented as speculation and not conclusion and/or fact. I note, however, that you seem to have an aversion to speculation on here when it involves anyone other than yourself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:13:48 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
"The 5th at GCGC was a template hole used at Tailer's Ocean Links and the Greenbriar."

Tom MacWood:

That is very interesting. Silly me; I've always heretofore thought that CBM only used template holes from abroad. I have no doubt that if you say he used the 5th at GCGC as a template used at Tommy Tailer's Ocean Links and at the Greenbriar it must be true, but would you mind pointing out where CBM said that anyway?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back