News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: A Royal in the States?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
The Captain and a past Captain of Royal Cinque Ports were recently in India for celebrations at Royal Calcutta Golf Club, relations especially between the international Royal clubs are very important and cherished by all concerned.
Cave Nil Vino

Gary Slatter

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »
Eric, I once heard a northern American refer to a Confederate Civil War monument as a second place trophy.  Along those same lines, why denigrate an American golf course with the "royal" designation?

Bogey

Michael I agree, America (the US part) has Trump, it doesn't need any further designation. :)
Does America include Canada and Mexico?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »
why denigrate an American golf course with the "royal" designation?

Bogey

I don't know, golf with diplomatic immunity for Chappers? ;D ;) :D

The thought initially occurred to me when reading about Mayfair G&CC recently becoming a 'Royal'.  I didn't look into it any further than finding a site with all the Royals listed and I figured I'd pose the question on here.  I'm probably thinking more in terms of a selling a 'brand' rather than political ramifications involved with such an endeavor.  I would imagine a golf club with this designation would have a good chance to be, at the very least, 'heard about!'  

Martin Toal

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
You have obviously never been to a little place called Royal Links. :'(

I have. It is not a links either.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »
Is the curragh a royal course?

Yes,I believe it's never been rescinded they just choose not to use the title these days.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
There are royal courses in Spain (eg Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro), Morocco (eg Royal Dar-es-Salaam), France (Royal Mougins), Netherlands (eg Koninklijke Haagsche), Belgium (eg Royal Zoute), Sweden (eg Royal Drottningholm), South Africa (eg Royal Cape), Denmark (eg Royal Oak). They're two a penny....

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
Perhaps we could find a suitable candidate club here in Kentucky, or even Pennsylvania, Virginia, or Massachusetts, since those states are also commonwealths!
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
And in the UK we have a few clubs that are nearly royal, such as Prince's, King's Links, the Duke's Course at St Andrews, John O'Gaunt, but royalty and near royalty are insignificant against the might, majesty, dominion and power of the religious clubs: St Andrews, St Enodoc, Quaker Ridge (you have them, too), St Cloud (and the French), Bishop Auckland, Temple and so on. But you Americans don't need royalty, you've got presidents and the like, and appropriate courses such as Congressional. Who's going to upstage Congress? Thank goodness we've got so many royal courses and not a single one dedicated to Blair or Brown (I don't count Blairgowrie or Brown Trout).

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
Mark which is the odd one out in your list on reply 30?
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »

P.S. Played all the Aussie Royals except those in WA. Four in UK. RQ was the weakest of the bunch, although that was pre-Clayton reno.

Anthony,

I've played all the Aussie Royals & Royal Fremantle & Royal Perth are not that great. They were probably on a par with Royal Queensland pre Clayton, & I would add Royal Hobart as a lesser Royal as well.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
There are royal courses in Spain (eg Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro), Morocco (eg Royal Dar-es-Salaam), France (Royal Mougins), Netherlands (eg Koninklijke Haagsche), Belgium (eg Royal Zoute), Sweden (eg Royal Drottningholm), South Africa (eg Royal Cape), Denmark (eg Royal Oak). They're two a penny....

Royal Durban is inside a horse racing track and is a lot tougher than the Durban Country Club.

Bob

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »
Germany has one as well, betcha didn't know that:

Royal St. Barbara's Dortmund

And Germany never even had a King!

Ulrich
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:53:43 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
Germany has one as well, betcha didn't know that:

Royal St. Barbara's Dortmund

And Germany never even had a King!

Ulrich

You don't need a king if you have British soldiers stationed there!  :-)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »

Pensicola has Royal McBride...and it is a gem.

ARG

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »

P.S. Played all the Aussie Royals except those in WA. Four in UK. RQ was the weakest of the bunch, although that was pre-Clayton reno.

Anthony,

I've played all the Aussie Royals & Royal Fremantle & Royal Perth are not that great. They were probably on a par with Royal Queensland pre Clayton, & I would add Royal Hobart as a lesser Royal as well.

I'm sure you guys have played
- Royal Pines
- Royal Australian Engineers Golf Club
- Royal Park Golf Club

as well ?  ;D

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
I am not sure of the process but Vancouver Golf Club, located in suburban Coquitlam, B.C., has apparently applied for "Royal" status during this, their Centennial year. Rumour has it they have a reasonable chance. Are there criteria? I doubt a rumour would come from Buckingham Palace but Mark Chaplin would know a lot more about that than the rest of us. I am assuming any club applying must be located in the British Commonwealth. A "Royal" club in Spain, Denmark or whereever other than the UK must be annointed by the royalty of those nations. No?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »

- Royal Pines
- Royal Park Golf Club

as well ?  ;D

I've played 2 of those ............ unfortunately.

Of course, they are only Royal by name, not by charter.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
I am not sure of the process but Vancouver Golf Club, located in suburban Coquitlam, B.C., has apparently applied for "Royal" status during this, their Centennial year. Rumour has it they have a reasonable chance. Are there criteria? I doubt a rumour would come from Buckingham Palace but Mark Chaplin would know a lot more about that than the rest of us. I am assuming any club applying must be located in the British Commonwealth. A "Royal" club in Spain, Denmark or whereever other than the UK must be annointed by the royalty of those nations. No?

Bob, I had heard the rumour about Vancouver Club, as well.  They will not be the first in our area to try, Victoria Golf Club first expresses interest in, I believe, 1911, and have done so at least three times since.  My understanding is Shaughnessy and Capilano have also looked into  the matter.

There are criteria, the most important of which is the club must have some history with the Royal Family.  In the case of Royal Colwood, the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII, later the Duke of Windsor visited our course 3 times and his father King George V bestowed the honour on us.  I believe there is a practice, perhaps it is set policy, that a new Royal will not be established within a certain radius of n existing Royal, I have heard 50 miles but that may be rumour.

It certainly appears there is an openness by Buckingham Palace to bestow the honour on more clubs.  There were very few new Royals from the 1930s to the early 2000s.  Since 1999 there have been at least 4 - Regina, Mayfair, Wellington and Marianske Lazne
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
One in Thailand , the lovely Royal Hua Hin .

John Moore II

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
I was under the impression (from my former brother-in-law who was a member of one of the listed clubs) that the Royal title was given if a member of the royal family had played the course. Perhaps this is not correct, I am not sure.

The title can be used here in America because few here know the real meaning of the title. Its one of those title words we have here, same as XXX National Golf Club.

And I guess I find it odd that neither St. Andrews nor Carnoustie, were ever awarded Royal status.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
. . . And I guess I find it odd that neither St. Andrews nor Carnoustie, were ever awarded Royal status.

Is it because St. Andrews and Carnoustie are public golf courses, not clubs?  Just asking.  I'm not into this except for: http://www.royallinksgolfclub.com/.

John Moore II

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
. . . And I guess I find it odd that neither St. Andrews nor Carnoustie, were ever awarded Royal status.

Is it because St. Andrews and Carnoustie are public golf courses, not clubs?  Just asking.  I'm not into this except for: http://www.royallinksgolfclub.com/.

Well now, I might hire a caddy at that course. They seem to have a highly trained staff there, excellent service for sure.  ;D :o

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »

- Royal Pines
- Royal Park Golf Club

as well ?  ;D

I've played 2 of those ............ unfortunately.

Of course, they are only Royal by name, not by charter.

Andrew

Likewise  ;)

Surely - it can't be too hard to think of a name other than Royal  as part of a Qld resort golf course in the Pines' case. ? I can understand to a degree the other two: one as part of a military college in Canberra and the other a park in Melbourne.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »
one as part of a military college in Canberra

Actually, RAE is in Holsworthy in the south of Sydney. 9 holes of some of the least fun you'll ever have.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »
one as part of a military college in Canberra

Actually, RAE is in Holsworthy in the south of Sydney. 9 holes of some of the least fun you'll ever have.

Sorry Andrew - I have my army golf courses mixed up....

I was thinking of the Royal Military College Golf Club (RMCGC) at Duntroon. The basic 18 holer in the ACT open to the public. I haven't played the RAE GC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back