News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

golf in my pyjamas!
I wanted to put up a few pics over the next few days to discuss the process and results of designing, project managing, and maintaining a 9 tee golf hole in your backyard. Our property is called Sunnyside Downs, in Victoria, Australia. 

In the beginning, I had a few posts on here back in 2003, seeking advice on where to start. Beginning with buying many books, of particular use were TD's "Anatomy of a Golf Course" and George Thomas "Golf course Architecture of America" - particularly his recommendations for green size and landing area required for ranges of handicaps and club choice.

This was my first attempt at designing any kind of landscape. 

In my particular amateur style, I had my wife & I's 5 acre property surveyed, (approx 5-7m/16-23ft of fall from East side to West side, and perimeter is 200m x 100m/650x330ft ), I began to draw in the layouts and strategies I was seeking, of priority was to develop something that will allow almost full range of clubs in the bag to practice.
Clearly, my crude drawing is my own, and use of color helped me differentiate different areas - I like color!!. It was also a key criteria that it would be 'family' friendly...
The two largest issues that I needed to resolve were: Water usage/storage AND the Green.

Water: one of the first things we did was install a bore, it has a slight salt content and iron contamination, which in turn helped with the decision of turf choices – this also lead to storage – and building a dam in the low point, Nth West corner and also the need to ‘freshen’ the water, this was resolved by building a burn or small creek and reticulating it from the high side of the property (near bore site) around the house, and back to the dam, a distance of about 120m/395ft.

Green: I arranged quotes from some construction guys, and they were talking in the realms of $50k, way over budget, but of bigger issue than the cost was the machinery required to maintain it, and the time required (cut every 2nd day) –these were all out of the question. A little more research yielded an impact synthetic turf green from Atlanta. In the end – this made the most sense.

Here are a couple of images (106m/116yards photo/Original design/and post construction survey with final layouts and some of the shots)- more to follow inthe next couple of days.
Yardage add 10%

Cheers
Brett M

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:14:38 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Dieter Jones

Re: Sunnyside Downs - golf hole in my backyard...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:17:17 AM »
Brett, is your course in one of Paul Daleys books? That last picture looks familiar to me?
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
 ;D Thanks for that Scott, now I'll know where to hold my next party.  :)

Do you ever get friends over to play with you Brett?

How much did this project cost you in the end, after all costs are factored in? How much does it cost to maintain? What do you do to maintain it? Any regrets?

More pics please!

Oh, and where is the cart path?  :D

Pup

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »
Wow...very very cool!

Can't imagine anyone on here that hasn't thought about doing the same thing. You should be very proud for going through with it...not to mention talking your wife into going along with it!!! :)
H.P.S.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
Brett, is your course in one of Paul Daleys books? That last picture looks familiar to me?
Dieter: yes - Paul's Golf Course Architecture V3. Nice spotting.

Found you!
Very clever of you Scott - pretty switched on here on this board  ;)

BM
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
Do you ever get friends over to play with you Brett?

How much did this project cost you in the end, after all costs are factored in? How much does it cost to maintain? What do you do to maintain it? Any regrets?

More pics please!
Oh, and where is the cart path?  :D

Pup:
I have a few mates over – although not as much as I want to (too busy cutting grass and spraying weeds) Grand Final Barby is always at my place - we usually have nearest the pin over the dam at half time.

But we load up with a few cold Coronas or Budvars – play match play – heaps of fun. It is amazing to not have to worry about other groups of golfers, peace and quiet, just shooting the breeze and playing golf with friends – it is awesome.

A couple of events we run – Rock O’ Cashell Cup is another great Matchplay knockout with all my cousins of Irish ancestry.

More pics to come – I will also go into costs over the next couple of days when I have a bit more time. Absolutely no regrets.

Definitely no cart paths and walking only!

Brett

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:40:35 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Found you!
Scott:
Google have just put the old image back as the latest had heavy cloud cover, so that image is back about 2004 I think - if you scroll over to the west about 500 m you can see a later image of our neighbours.

*There are better images on Google Earth now....

Brett
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:43:31 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Very nice
Please tell us about your irrigation method.
Mike

p.s.
Changing the image size doesn't reduce file size
You have to shrink the file first

The easiest way to shrink a file is if using windows - select the file - then use the e-mail option in folder view - pick a new size
it will place the shrunk file in the attachment of an e-mail
drag and drop that file to your desktop
cheers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:56:19 AM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »
Cheers for the thread Brett - I'm sure many would love to have a golf hole in their backyard  ;D

What yardages are the tees ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »
This is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!  Kudos!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
First image: a level piece of land wiht approx 5-7m of fall from East to West (excuse poor picture)

Construction:
14,000 cubic m of fill
Barry Hudson - shaper of two highly regarded layouts inAustralia- The Dunes & 13th Beach Golf Links - he took a to week break and came to my place to shape the holes, tees, green and fairway with the help of Lenny and his Shaper.

approx 3300 sqm of SantaAna Couch Fairway -chosen for its strength and and could cope with the bore water.

Synthetic Green: T-Tek 1200 - approx 340sqm

Irrrigation - second image - pressurized rainbird irrigation, one pump from dam, Heads around green surrounds, and teeing complexes, and 12 heads to do the fairway area.

The Pump also runs the reticulation of the bore water/rainwater mix thru ponds and creek system. It also runs some landscape irrigtion as well.

KP  yardages later today hopefully.

Cheers
Bett
PS: Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:58:48 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »
Brett, I love your drawings and have added them to the compilation thread.  How does it feel to have your drawings in the same thread as Mackenzie, et al?

Ed

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »
Livin the dream...
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Michael Taylor

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:24 AM »
Brett,

With a synthetic green wouldn't the ball bounce all over the place with a ball landing on the green? Can you explain the synthetic green to me? Can you change pin positions?

Does OB ever come in play?

Pup

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:42:36 AM »

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:35 AM »
With the pool & tennis court it should be called Sunnyside Downs Country Club

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
Brett, what about your neighbours down the road on Avila Road?

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-38.162623,144.512862&z=19&t=h&nmd=20100104

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
Andrew:
That near maps is unbelieveable - big brother here we come.

My neighbour has had one in for about 3 years - 3 greens around a dam, approx 60m/70yard shots.

Thanks for link to the Near maps - it is awesome. I haven't seen it before.

Brett
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:58:25 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »
Andrew:
As you can probably see, we just finished some reno work, we turf cut the santa ana from around the fairway area - about 450 sqm - and layed it over the middle tees that are bright green in the image.
And the fairway area had been heavily scarified, and is just on it's way back.

BM
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
Ed:
Wow, thanks Ed - I am honoured. :)

Pup:
I never hit it OOB  :P - a few of my cousins have hit some massive hooks out onto the road. I have friendly neighbours behind the green, with pretty much vacant land there so it is not an issue - and our house can sometimes come into play - when making a swing change, I hit the house twice - lucky to miss the glass! :-[

Pin positions are fixed - I have four permanent holes "cut", the tees are all designed to one particular hole.
Synthetic is quoted by manufacturer as 'holding' a ball from 180 yards I think. With wedges and short irons, I can fairly simply get balls to stop depending on wind direction (handicap of 7) I have a couple of mates with high swing speeds, and one in particular, was spinning 7 irons back off the front of the green.

Stimp can be adjusted using sand and a heavy roller (we made a blue with original installation with incorrect sand).
see pics above

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:08:45 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
tee plan (see above) and some more pics of tees and green, bunkering and dam water storage.

back tee (forest)

Front tee (Road)

Bunkers

zero maintenance:

a bit more

Water - creek/burn helps to freshen the bore water with rain water

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:34:42 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
YARDAGES - add 10% for yards
There are:
3 tee complexes each with 3 tee blocks/markers
1 green with 3 pin positions.
Colors: Black is back; White is middle and Gold is front.
i.e. the black tees play to the back chequered flag; White middle tees play to middle right pin and gold is front to the front left bowl.
I have assigned stroke index to the holes, depending on partial blind shots, angle into the green and length.
6 individual bunkers. Water is not really in play with any kind of reasonable shot, except for a pull, hook into Dam LHS of green.

hole   tee   M   str
1   road gold   80   3
2   road white   93   9
3   road black   106   8
4   ponds gold   117   7
5   pond white   132   5
6   ponds black   143   2
7   vines gold   149   4
8   vines white   161   6
9   vines black   177   1
out   1158 m      

championship course      
hole   tee   M   str
10   road black   106   8/17
11   pond white   132   5/15
12   vines gold   149   4/13
13   vines white   161   6/15
14   ponds gold   117   7/16
15   road white   93   9/18
161   road gold   80   3/12
17   ponds black143   2/11
18   vines black   177   1/10
in    1158 m      
out   1158 m      
total   2316 m      
@theflatsticker

Michael Rossi

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
Brett

Well done!  8)

I also applaud your use of synthetic turf. At least once per year I get approached by people wishing to build a green in their yard, my advice is for the home owner is always to go with synthetic. This way you can enjoy your green and not spend all of your time maintaining it.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »
Andrew:
re the Country Club post.
We wanted to provide an amazing place for our children to grow up.
The tennis court I did myself - I had to get a container from Atlanta for the Golf green and tee turf, the container was only half full, so for a fifth of the cost of a contractor to supply tennis court, I got them to put the tennis court material in the container as well!! Where we live, a pool is great and we are very lucky..as are my kids.
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back