News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas McQuillan

My Lido contest 2010 entry.
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
Here's my half finished entry that was meant for this years lido comp. I didn't have the time to finish it and enter it so instead, i'm goin to post it here and allow you's to rip my hopes to shreads. feel free to comment on any aspect of the drawings features or to ask questions about the strategy of some of the holes various elements.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:49:19 PM by Thomas McQuillan »

Thomas McQuillan

Re: Lido contest 2010.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Hole Information:

Lenght: 410 yards

Distance to reach 1st bunker on left: 265 yards

Distance to carry 2nd bunker on left: 320 yards

Distance to carry creek on right: 270 yards

Total fairway width on left: 60 yards

Fairway width on upper left section: 25 yards

Fairway width on lower left: 30 yards

Fairway width on right:  30 yards

How does this compare to anyone elses designs for this years or previous years lido contests?

Garland Bayley

Re: My Lido contest 2010 entry.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »
Hi Thomas,

My impression from seeing the winners from a few years is that 1st they have to be beautifully drawn. The explanations of the different strategies don't seem to hold up that well IMO for the winners.

As far as your drawing is concerned, I don't believe the weak player playing up the middle is going to reach in two. I would have drawn his second ending left of the trap with a chip onto the green.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas McQuillan

Re: My Lido contest 2010 entry. New
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
It was only a rough draught so I didnt expect  it to be like the roof of the sistine chapel or anything.

That was a consideration until I seen the judges entry from the year he won. His entry is almost a true three shotter for the weaker player and gives a serious advantage to the bomber who can carry the lake. So I decided the best play for the weaker player would be to play it from the foreward tees. the mound short left is meant to aid as a boost for the weaker player and so he can play around the bunker instead of attemptig an impossible carry.

I also did not want to incorporate water into the design until I seen the vast ocean in his entry. In an ideal world, I would have had a bunker to the right instead of the creek to carry and chipping areas around the green.

My earliest version actually ended at the creek and had the green sloping 180 degrees in the other direction. I only decided to ad it in when  I seen  the thread on the 8yh at riviera and thought the hole needed more options as his had about 100 different ways to play the hole.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:16:02 AM by Thomas McQuillan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back