News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Cotton, Pennink, Steel & Partners
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:26:55 AM »
I recently came upon a few courses, that were designed by this company (Ca' degli Ulivi, Gardagolf in Italy). Seeing that Sir Henry Cotton and Frank Pennink (or is he spelled Penninck?) had already passed away at that time, am I correct in assuming that these courses should be credited to Donald Steel? And who are/were the "partners"?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Alfonso Erhardt

Re: Cotton, Pennink, Steel & Partners
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
Ulrich,

Cotton and Pennink also used John Harris as their associate, at least in Spain where he built 9 holes in Puerta de Hierro and he also laid out a couple of other courses. I'm referring to mid 60s.

Regards,

Alfonso

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:45:06 AM »
Ulrich, The 'Cotton' was Ken Cotton, not Henry Cotton. Mark.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:16 AM »
I wouldn't assume Steel should be credited - all three were fairly active. What is the date?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
The opening dates are 1986 (Gardagolf) and 1989 (Ca' degli Ulivi). Frank Pennink died in 1984, Sir Henry Cotton in 1987, so that is why I thought Donald Steel should get the credit. But if it is not Sir Henry, but Ken Cotton, then what is the story with him?

I would believe that the Cotton active in the 1960s with John Harris must have been Sir Henry, no?

Ulrich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
As Mark said, it was Ken Cotton...

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
By Ken Cotton you don't happen to mean Charles Kenneth Cotton (usually referred to as C. K. Cotton)?

He would surely be a candidate for having worked in the 1960s alongside Harris and Pennink. However, he passed away in 1974, so for the moment my theory remains unblemished: that the company Cotton, Pennink, Steel & Partners was really only Donald Steel in the 1980s.

Ulrich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:08:22 AM »
Ulrich,

C.K.Cotton is the very man... and your theory would appear to be correct... Tom MacKenzie and Martin Ebert became Donald Steel's associates (Tom about 1990 I think)... I don't know what Steel traded under in the 90's but I guess at some point he decided to change his company name once his name was well enough known on its own...

Ally

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
The company was sold in the late 1980s and Donald Steel ventured out on his own (and subsequently took on MacKenzie and Ebert as associates).

Any idea who the "partners" were?

Ulrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back