News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Duke University Golf Course...
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
I look forward to Singler and Scheyer posting after they play the course on Monday morning. Interested to see their thoughts on the course.

;)

Carl Johnson

Re: Duke University Golf Course...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
Greg, let's assume that WVU loses.  Just an assumption -- won't happen.  But, hpothetically, what golf course are the Mountaineers going to be playing on Monday morning.  Lakeview?  The Pines?  Mountaineer?  Preston CC?  Alpine Lake?  Pete Dye?  For the record, I've got very strong attachments to both schools, and no matter who wins, I win.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
Greg, let's assume that WVU loses.  Just an assumption -- won't happen.  But, hpothetically, what golf course are the Mountaineers going to be playing on Monday morning.  Lakeview?  The Pines?  Mountaineer?  Preston CC?  Alpine Lake?  Pete Dye?  For the record, I've got very strong attachments to both schools, and no matter who wins, I win.

Carl, Pretty sad options other than Pete Dye and given where the players are from Bethpage would be a more likely candidate!
North Central WV is not blessed with much in the way of quality golf. Bel Meadows outside Clarksburg always had potential to be decent but was rather rough around the edges but the back nine was pretty solid.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
Haven't played there since just after finishing school.

I look forward to their insightful review!

;)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »
Haven't played there since just after finishing school.

I look forward to their insightful review!

;)

It appears you may have to wait a few days.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
I look forward to Singler and Scheyer posting after they play the course on Monday morning. Interested to see their thoughts on the course.

;)

Oops....

I guess we will have to settle for Bob Huggins review of Pete Dye Golf Club instead.  :):):)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »

;)

Oops....

I guess we will have to settle for Bob Huggins review of Pete Dye Golf Club instead.  :):):)

Knowing Huggs it would go something like... "Well, it had 18 holes and a nice bar."

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Greg, let's assume that WVU loses.  Just an assumption -- won't happen.  But, hpothetically, what golf course are the Mountaineers going to be playing on Monday morning.  Lakeview?  The Pines?  Mountaineer?  Preston CC?  Alpine Lake?  Pete Dye?  For the record, I've got very strong attachments to both schools, and no matter who wins, I win.

Carl, Pretty sad options other than Pete Dye and given where the players are from Bethpage would be a more likely candidate!
North Central WV is not blessed with much in the way of quality golf. Bel Meadows outside Clarksburg always had potential to be decent but was rather rough around the edges but the back nine was pretty solid.

Greg, Speaking about north central WV golf coures, do you know anything about Pikewood National (between Morgantown and Kingwood).  According their website [www.pikewoodgolfclub.com], it's very private, but I didn't see anything about who the architect was - may have missed it.  Acquaintenaces of mine have described it as "John Raese's course." I knew his father, Dyke, but do not recall ever having met John, although I probably did when he was a boy.  Sorry about the Mountaineers.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
Greg, let's assume that WVU loses.  Just an assumption -- won't happen.  But, hpothetically, what golf course are the Mountaineers going to be playing on Monday morning.  Lakeview?  The Pines?  Mountaineer?  Preston CC?  Alpine Lake?  Pete Dye?  For the record, I've got very strong attachments to both schools, and no matter who wins, I win.

Greg, Speaking about north central WV golf coures, do you know anything about Pikewood National (between Morgantown and Kingwood).  According their website [www.pikewoodgolfclub.com], it's very private, but I didn't see anything about who the architect was - may have missed it.  Acquaintenaces of mine have described it as "John Raese's course." I knew his father, Dyke, but do not recall ever having met John, although I probably did when he was a boy.  Sorry about the Mountaineers.

http://www.articlesbase.com/golf-articles/national-golf-club-pikewood-2024891.html

This article tells a bit more about Raese and Gwynne. I have heard rather mixed reviews from friends back home that have played it.

Some times you just flat out get beat and that is what happened last night. Just feel terrible for our star, Butler who is a great kid and deserved a better endning than the injury and drubbing.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
taineers.

http://www.articlesbase.com/golf-articles/national-golf-club-pikewood-2024891.html

This article tells a bit more about Raese and Gwynne. I have heard rather mixed reviews from friends back home that have played it.

Some times you just flat out get beat and that is what happened last night. Just feel terrible for our star, Butler who is a great kid and deserved a better endning than the injury and drubbing.

Greg, thanks for the article reference and the info therein.  Sounds like a homemade golf course, the subject of another thread here on GCA.  There is nothing the matter with that.  We have a homemade 18-hole "resort course" here in my town that I think is very good.  "Homemade" in the sense that it was paid for and designed by an amateur golfer who had the time and resources to do it.  About the basketball game.  As I said before, I've got connections, very strong, to both WVU and Duke, so -- honestly -- I would win no matter who won.  One of the WVU players was quoted after the game as saying, "Duke was probably the better team tonight."  Where does the "probably" come from?  You play one game, you win, you lose, you go on.  I "died" with the 70-71 loss to California in 1959, but I'm still here.  That's the nature of it.  Just like a golf match.  You play, someone wins and someone loses.  So what?  Hope you'll pull for Duke tomorrow night, but as I look at it, no matter who wins, I win.  If Duke wins, it's my team.  If Butler wins, it is a great story (and I love great stories). 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back