News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

The 95 yard par 3 at Rouge Park Golf Course..pics...
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
I played the front 9 at Rouge Park Golf Course in Detroit this morning. When I arrived at hole #7 (from here on out called the leprechaun") , I couldn't figure out what the hole was. Well, it is a diminuative par 3 of 95 (maybe 105 from the tips) yards uphill to small green that is not visible from the tee box. The tee shot requires a straight, uphill shot through the tree line and a carry over a river as well as a very steep embankment. The hole is so easy, it is hard. There were 2 groups on the tee box and while we waited I saw no one hit the green! I fared no better, I walked off with a 2 putt bogey. I liked this hole a lot, it was a good use of the terrain, took up very little space and was not a guaranteed birdie, or any other score for that matter. The hole, lacking distance as it's protector, utilizes several things to protect par: 1. An uphill shot to a somewhat small, not visible green. 2. If the wind is blowing (and it was today!) club selection can be difficult. 3. It requires a perfectly straight tee shot with something less than a 9 iron with great distance control. Long shots will be caught by some trees to the rear of the green. Many will over hit to clear the steep embankment only to miss the green. Rouge Park Golf Course is a fun muni, in average conditon at best, that is worth a play of in the area. I liked it and it had a nice mix of holes. Maybe designed by Donald Ross, maybe NOT. Assuming the topography allows an interesting short hole, why not have more sub 110 yard par 3's on newly designed courses? Are they loathed that much? OR, are they just squeezed in (I have played a few of these) when ample area is lacking for a longer hole?

2 views of the hole from the tee box.

View of the green, which is slightly elevated all around.

Looking back to the tee.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:35:46 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jeff_Mingay

Re: The 95 yard par 3 at Rouge Park Golf Course..pics...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
Richard,

Interesting post.

I haven't been to Rouge Park, but am wondering if the ad below is related to this course?

What'd ya think?

jeffmingay.com

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Jeff,

They may be speaking of Warren Valley GC, which is about 1 mile west of Telegraph on 5 mile Road. They have 36 holes there. Also, I believe the Rouge River runs through the Warren Valley courses as well.  Rogell GC was originally called Redford CC.

I played Rogell 2 years ago, but not since the new owners took over. Warren Valley was in terribly poor shape when I last played it 3 years ago, and unless a renovation or at least some level of maintenance occurs, I won't go back.

Rich
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:18:25 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
Rich,

thanks, Rouge definitely  has some interesting holes.

Jeff ,

The routing  on the Advert.  looks to be Western CC in Redford. WCC is a long and narrow plot. #3 is a stout par 3 over the river and  #5 is nice par five with nice movement in the fairway

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »
Hi Mark.

I'm sure you're right about Western. Now that you bring it up, I remember hearing same from someone else.

Cheers,
jeffmingay.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
From the pics I have seen, the hole looks a lot like the 5th at Painswick.  I would love to see the Detroit area munis.  Does Rogell also possess ravine features in the way Rouge Park does?

As for your question about 110 yarders, I think many people perceive these holes as afterthoughts.  Unless it's the 7th at Pebble, the holes are just thrown in because a longer hole would not fit.  People view them as transition holes and do not judge them on architectural merit.  I am not sure why or when this phenomenon came about.  Indeed, the par three second at Garden City (135 tops) uses the most dramatic feature on the property, an abandoned quarry, to defend and define the hole.  I would love to see more REALLY short threes like this.  The half wedge can be one of the scariest shots in golf.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
I think Rogell is an OK course. I played it 2 years ago and it was in horrendous condition. Jon Heise played it recently and said the condition was good. It sits in a flood palin, so that surely doesn't help matters any.

I would go back for a second go around at Rogell (Now called "The New Rogell" I think), BUT, there are TOO MANY courses to play first in the Detroit area that have yet to be played by me.

Rouge Park is a real diamond in the rough that needs some TLC. Harden up the fairways and that would be a TOUGH and enjoyable 6300 yard golf course.

Jon Heise

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »
The "New" Rogell, owned by a local church.  Played a month ago, the greeens were in very fine condition, though they've become tiny and almost perfectly circular...  It's a fun course with lots of quirk, and only about two kinda dumb holes.  Maybe not as ...historical... feeling as someting like Rackham, but its something to check out for sure.  I'll go back.  Little easier to get on that Detroit Golf Club, right?  ;)
I still like Greywalls better.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »
If it's the hole I think it is on Google Earth (SE quadrant of the course, runs from NNW to SSE), looks like between 15-20 feet of elevation difference.  Also, the tee shot is tree-lined but the green is completely open.

Cool little hole, especially for the first-timer who sees 110 on the scorecard and is expecting a pushover.

At least the golfers are given a little break - the stakes aren't red.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
If it's the hole I think it is on Google Earth (SE quadrant of the course, runs from NNW to SSE), looks like between 15-20 feet of elevation difference.  Also, the tee shot is tree-lined but the green is completely open.

Cool little hole, especially for the first-timer who sees 110 on the scorecard and is expecting a pushover.

At least the golfers are given a little break - the stakes aren't red.

Jason,

I would much rather the stakes be RED, but I can see why they chose yellow. Many would hurt themselves trying to save a stroke by climbing down the steep embankment.... I did not see a drop area up top either!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back