News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

What is the key to Freddie Couples year?
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
IMHO I think two factors are the key to his record 2010 - he's used a golf cart for three Senior PGA events.   And his shoes look very comfortable.  Since he doesn't have to walk, he doesn't need the support of a normal golf shoe. 

I really hope I'm wrong and that he wins the Houston PGA event! 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

PThomas

Re: What is the key to Freddie Couples year?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
and easier and shorter golf courses !
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »
The key factor to his year is that he turned 50! Duh!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
He had a pretty good showing in the Phoenix regular PGA event to go along with his Champions wins. I wouldn't be surprised if he's at least a part of the conversation on the weekend at Augusta.

But, if he is indeed using a cart on the senior circuit, then the lack of same will probably have a huge effect on him when he does compete in the 72-hole walking PGA events.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
Slower greens.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »

Staying away from relationship problems.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »

Anthony

Voice of experience?  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Blake

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
he's used a golf cart for three Senior PGA events.   And his shoes look very comfortable.   

cart?
shoes?

Isn't it simply the competition or lack thereof on the Champions Tour.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »
The king of the funny money off season events (IE the Skins Game) has found his home!
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »
Pilates and Ben Gay.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
No wonder he has had relationship problems if he has ben gay.

Michael Huber

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
i thought it was pretty funny watching him walk around in loafers. 

im of the opinion that the pressure is off, so he can play well. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »

Anthony

Voice of experience?  ;D

I play better when my life is a wreck.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
He's always been capable of playing at an extremely high level when he's physically 100% or near it. And now he's facing hugely weaker competition. So my guess is he's going through one of his periods of feeling pretty good (golf cart helps, no doubt) at the very moment that he quits competing against the best players in the world. If that is a correct assessment then it's no surprise at all he's winning everything in sight right now.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »
Fred said why in an article earlier this week and went out of his way to not sound like an arrogant jerk. He said the courses are shorter but he drives it much further than most of the guys and did admit that recently he has been long and straight.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 07:35:23 PM »
Cart, for us bad back guys, walking and standing around reeks havoc with your back
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »
Two things come to mind. Stay healthy and win the U S Senior Open. A USGA title would go a long way on Fred`s resume. As it stands now he has already had a great year- hat trick on the Champions Tour and reappointed as President`s Cup captain. 

JSlonis

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
he's used a golf cart for three Senior PGA events.   And his shoes look very comfortable.  

cart?
shoes?

Isn't it simply the competition or lack thereof on the Champions Tour.

There doesn't appear to me to be a huge lack of competition.  The week Couples finished 2nd to Watson they were like 21 or 22 under par.  This past week Pavin was leading by two, shot 66 and lost by two.  "These Guys are Still Good."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:31:29 PM by JSlonis »

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »

Not only do his shoes LOOK comfortable, the are comfortable, whether golfing or shredding:

"No one has ever designed a shoe like this and Fred's win validates its performance at the game's highest levels," says Jesper Thuen, Sponsor and Event Manager, ECCO Golf. "Golf Street is unique in that it grips in all conditions and can be worn throughout the day. The response from Tour players, celebrities and discerning consumers has just been phenomenal."

Taking its cues from modern men's fashion, Golf Street Premier includes funky color pops and cool metal-rivet accents. The ideal combination of style and function, it comes with synthetic blend wide-flat laces in two different colors for added user customization, including a contrast option for an additional dose of flavor. Like all ECCO golf shoes, Golf Street Premier is made using a proprietary direct-injection process that creates a one-piece construction which won't break down over time.

In addition to Couples, ECCO golf shoes are worn in competition by scores of international Tour stars, including Aaron Baddeley, Colin Montgomerie, Stuart Appleby, Arjun Atwal, John Bickerton, Bradley Dredge and many others.

Coinciding with the recently introduced 2010 golf collection, ECCO has engaged in a series of major account and customer service initiatives. These include a supporting partnership of the PGA of America Golf Retirement Plus program, a new ECCO Golf Comfort Tech Van, a web-based retailer training module and the brand's status as an official member of the Association of Golf Merchandisers.

Guaranteeing a level of quality that cannot be matched by any major footwear manufacturer, each ECCO golf shoe is made using a proprietary, direct-injection process. Touched by more than 225 sets of highly-skilled hands during production, each model is a testament to the brand's unrivalled attention to detail that helps discerning players look, feel and play their best.

All ECCO golf shoes feature a network of built-in technologies to create the ideal platform for the perfect swing. These include a direct-injected, PU-constructed midsole/outsole that:
• Creates a one-piece shoe construction
• Ensures unrivaled durability, flexibility, lightness and weather resistance
• Provides a superior level of cushioning and comfort that does not break down over time, unlike commonly-used materials such as air, rubber and EVA foam

Optimal performance is further guaranteed by:
• Ultra-soft, high-grade leathers with hydrophobic treatments for superb weather-resistance
• Internal stabilizer to reduce torque and create ideal swing stability
• Double-layer insole with cushion that absorbs heel force to reduce stress on the knees, hips and back
• Internal Air-Circulation System to maintain a fresh, dry and cool foot environment
• Dynamic Energy Return System that provides a trampoline effect during foot-strike and follow-through to reduce fatigue and restore energy with each step
• Green-friendly outsole designs featuring molded traction bars combined with Stinger cleats from Champ and the Q-Lok insert system to provide ideal traction and grip

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Andy Hodson

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
I second the notion that Couples is not playing against inferior competition. As stated, the one start he has not won, he lost shooting 21 under for three rounds to some guy named Watson. In Naples, he wins by one after Tommy Armour III shoots a friggin 61 the final day. In Newport he pretty much outclassed the field by averaging 66 for each of three rounds. And at Cap Cana, the field was so poor he had to shoot 62 the final round to come from behind to win by 2.

I would lean toward shorter golf courses and tournaments, less rough, and....the key.... he's putting great so far this year. If he keeps up the putting, it doesn't matter what tour he plays on this year, he'll continue to win.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 06:22:49 AM »
I guess the competition being soooooo strong on the senior tour is why these guys all dread the day they turn 50 and have to play there instead of racking up easy wins against weaker fields on the regular Tour...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 06:48:41 AM »
I'm just happy - Fred has always been a contemporaneous golf hero of mine, and Laura has a crush on him.

It really is true - Guys want to be like Fred, and women want to be with Fred ;)

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
He hits a short iron into most par fours and hits a mid (or short) iron into most par fives.

WW

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
Fred said why in an article earlier this week and went out of his way to not sound like an arrogant jerk. He said the courses are shorter but he drives it much further than most of the guys and did admit that recently he has been long and straight.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49:10 AM »
 8) no socks .. relaxed in houston
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back