News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Heise

Lawsonia Woodlands, let's talk
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
We're looking to add to the Lost Dunes event this May, and it looks like Lawsonia will be the destination.  It's easy to find the photo review of the Links course.  I do remember someone doing one for the Woodlands course quite a while ago.  Can someone link it for me?  I cant find it.  Also, what should we be in store for?

Thanks!
I still like Greywalls better.

Jud_T

Re: Lawsonia Woodlands, let's talk
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »
Jon,
I would never play the Woodlands with the Links next door. If you have time for 2 rounds then play 'em both on the links.  You won't be sorry.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »
P.S.  You're looking at a 4-5 hour drive from Lawsonia to Lost Dunes, without traffic.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
Where are you coming from Jon?

Just an FYI - Lawsonia to Lost Dunes is a hike and a half, esp. if you are going to do it on a Friday afternoon. Just getting from Rockford to Chicago down 90 or from Milwaukee to Chicago down 94 would take a couple hours in Friday traffic.  And as a traffic hint, if you are coming back from Lawsonia towards Chicago, make sure you take 90 as the Edens spur and I-94 are under construction and are going to be a mess.

Back to golf...if you're up there for the first time I would just play the Links twice. I don't think you would hate the Woodlands...it's just that the Links is that good.
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »
AT LEAST a 5.5 hour drive, and if you are doing it on a Friday nite during rush hour even more!

i'm cringing at even thinking of that drive...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jon Heise

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
C'mon guys, I aint no rookie golf traveller.  ;D  Early plan is to play at Lawsonia Wednesday or so, then somewhere in Chicago (but probably Cog Hill), then hit up the Lost Dunes on the weekend before heading back to Detroit.  So really no more than 4 hrs driving at any one time.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
C'mon guys, I aint no rookie golf traveller.  ;D  Early plan is to play at Lawsonia Wednesday or so, then somewhere in Chicago (but probably Cog Hill), then hit up the Lost Dunes on the weekend before heading back to Detroit.  So really no more than 4 hrs driving at any one time.

I never doubted you :)

Plan on playing 18 or 36 at Lawsonia? Only 18 you would be nuts to play the Woodlands over the Links. 36 you would only be half nuts to play one of the two on the Woodlands. ;)
H.P.S.

Jon Heise

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »
Minimum 36!  I belive the rate is $65 for all day that week...

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
Minimum 36!  I belive the rate is $65 for all day that week...

Well hopefully it'll be dead out there with little play during the week. That way you can play 54  8)
H.P.S.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
Jon, The old south nine, (The Woodlands front nine) is not a bad nine holes at all. The quarry hole is great as is the drop shot par 3. However, It's the back nine, the final nine built, where the Woodlands problems lie. There's no cohesiveness, or even an attempt at making that nine fit the whole. It may not be a bad nine holes of golf, but it pales in comparison to the pre-existing 27 holes there.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
Actually the quarry hole is the second hole in that loop and is a short par 4.  As Adam said, that 'third' 9 which was built in late 70s or so is a picturesque woodland 9 and has a different feel to it that the 4th 9, built in early 90s, due to different designers.  Yet, it is a nice Wisconsin woodland presentation, but just not the typical sort of golf architecture and interest that most GCA.com types are looking for.  It is more cartball than the original links course.  But, if it is all day with cart for $65, go for it.  Play'em both and then play a third or as many as you can get in.  Twighlight on the links is great!!!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
I second the opinion to play the Links twice.  There are a few holes (such as #2) that make a lot more sense the second time around.  We played the Woodlands as the second 18, and while it wasn't bad, our foursome wished we replayed the Links.

David Schofield

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
The Woodlands course has also had several holes reconstructed (in 2008?) to allow for development of housing along Green Lake.  Hole #5 (used to be a longish dogleg right with Green Lake as the backdrop to the green) has been significantly shortened.  In an effort to lengthen the hole a new small tee box was tucked into the woods behind the old tee box and constructed of, wait for it, astroturf.  Hole #6 was completely reconstructed with, wait for it, a waterfall.  All in all, it took a course that was already the ugly stepsister to the Links and dropped it down a few pegs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back