News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

AAC II. Results. Are. In.
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
On this thread I am planning to do the running commentary on the contest as well as the final results and discussion. Before we get to that though, I want to post my instructions to the judges for everyone to see, as well as introduce them to the wider audience.

First, here are the judges' marching orders:

For your final judging submission, simply rank the entries from best to worst by giving a number of 1-13 to each contestant (with 1 being the best).

The judging criteria are entirely up to you, with a couple of caveats.
  • Bear in mind there were no site restrictions or characteristics given other than a topographic map. The contestants were told to let their imaginations run wild. So some have imagined a forested site, others have imagined a sandy dunescape, some have designed 18 holes and some up to 45 holes. It’s up to you (the judges) to decide what is important and what is the best use of the land.
  • There are varying levels of skill among the participants when it comes to graphics programs. I would ask that you try to judge more based on the content than the presentation.

Have fun with it, use your judgement, and we all look forward to the results!

So there are the orders, now to the introductions, in alphabetical order.

Tommy "The Emperor" Naccarato

Tommy is a noted golf historian, afficianado, and all-around nice guy. His favorite courses are Torrey Pines and Trump National LA; his favorite golf course feature is the "water bunker".

Tim "The Nuge" Nugent

Tim is an accomplished golf architect working in the United States. His catch phrase: "I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while" has served him well for many years.

Mike "Bonzo" Nuzzo

Besides being one of the loudest drummers to also call himself a golf architect, Mike's first solo design at Wolf Point is being hailed as a modern classic.

Philip "The Continental" Spogard

Philip is an award-winning golf architect based in Europe. He is also a connoisseur of fine French ChampagnYA and is head of the European Society for the Advancement of Smoking Jackets.

Much, Much more to come in the following weeks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:00:31 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

jonathan_becker

Re: AAC 2 Results Thread. Introducing the Judges!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
Great choice of photos, Charlie.  Well done  ;D

I'm very interested to see what happens on this thread.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
Thanks Jonathan, hopefully what appears on this thread warrants your interest!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »
Sorry Charlie... I don't keep up with this... Where was / is the topo / site survey kept?

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Ally, the topo map can be found in an earlier thread, the link below....

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=43157.0
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
Can anyone point me to last year's results thread?  I'm interested in reading feedback from last year's contest.  Thanks!

Steve Lang

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:24:25 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Charlie Goerges

Re: AAC 2 Results Thread. Commentary begins...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
Now I am going to begin the commentary. One thing I'd like to ask is that the contestants try not to give away too much information about which design is theirs. It's fine if you say "I did build a green in that spot", just don't try to say "I'm the one who designed the light green course". You'll see what I mean when you have a look at the picture below.

The first thing I did when I got the entrants in was trace all of the routings with lines with arrowheads so that we could have a little bit of discussion like this. What jumped out at me when I reduced the size of the lines, but kept the arrowheads was how a few spots seemed to be very popular. One in particular caught my eye, the one inside the circle to the upper right part of the picture. In that case there were 5 greens that are placed on exactly the same spot. There are several others where there are more in very close proximity, but not where there were that many directly in the same place. Of course I've circled a few other places where things caught my eye. Other than those few spots though, it seems that the greens are fairly well distributed over the more interesting portions of the property. I think that makes sense considering much of the property is fairly gently contoured.

Map (each arrowhead represents a green, each contestant is a different color):

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
The people on my tees are going to kill some of the people on their greens.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
 8) Charlie,

That overlay may become a classic..  btw.. where did folks put the clubhouse and driving ranges?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:38:10 PM »
Clubhouses next, See below. I am actually not too surprised by the mix here. Most all of them make sense in one way or another.

Again, contestants, no overly-identifiable remarks, but please feel free to chime in.

Also, I want to get your thoughts on some of the features of the land above. What areas did you think were rich with design possibilities and why?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
Charlie
The green location is a beautiful chart
Fellas - that chart took a significant amount of time - not including all the work to create this contest
The brown clubhouse may flood one day....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
 8)  yes, BIG THANKS to Charlie.. and thanks certainly need to go to the judges for donating their time and having to do the forced ranking exercise.. i imagine its as much fun as shooting at an island green in a three club cross wind.. its a challenge but work, and probably a slight grind on the brain cells.

p.s. Charlie, if you ever get to Houston.. you have some credit to work off!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:57:22 PM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »
Charlie,

Awesome work on the "green sheet".

Those are quite the Wuthering Heights clubhouses on the southern portion of the map - pretty cool views from the deck I would imagine.

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »
 8) banff lite ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:16:21 AM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:47 AM »
8) Nick,

Start with http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38102.0/

check out  these.. others are in same area of topic numbers

Steve, thanks for the links you posted.  I located the original thread a few nights ago, but couldn't find the results and feedback.  I'll take a look at the additional threads you posted.  I appreciate it!

I would also like to thank Charlie for his efforts in putting this contest together, and the judges for taking their personal time to critique our designs and stimulate the upcoming month(s) of discussion.  I agree with Steve.....if anyone involved in this contest is ever in the Boston area, there is a beer or two with your name on it!  One with mine will be right next to it.  Ciao   

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »

Those are quite the Wuthering Heights clubhouses on the southern portion of the map - pretty cool views from the deck I would imagine.

Thanks to all who have invested time in this. I've had a lot going on and didn't spend quite as much time as I'd have liked, so I appreciate what the rest of you have put in.

I found siting the clubhouse one of the hardest parts of the entire exercise. It's so easy to see how that consideration can severely compromise an otherwise workable routing.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the organisers and Judges. I was hoping to enter this, but I had no idea how to read a topo map, but I hope to enter next year and give the more experienced (Emil) a run for their money. :)

P.S Go Emil!

;)

Pup

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
I bet the black clubhouse was located after the routing was finalized. It seems to me it is the only one that has limited view.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
In practical circumstances, there would never be that many different potential clubhouse locations that made sense.  Some would be discarded because the access to the spot was more costly, or because the site would make it impossible to hide all the "back of house" functions (service, parking, etc.). 

Looking at the chart above, I would be shocked if the winning entry is the one with the black, brown, or dark green clubhouse.  Those locations just seem to limit the number of starting and finishing holes available for use -- unless the layouts do not come back to the clubhouse at all.

Gary_K

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
Charlie,

I can't take my eyes off of the green location drawing and I keep squinting to see the routing lines. 

Is it okay for you to post the names of the constestants in this thread?  I keep jumping back to the old thread to see if a person that posts in this thread is in the contest or not.

Thank you,

Gary K.

Andy Gray

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 12:42:37 AM »
In practical circumstances, there would never be that many different potential clubhouse locations that made sense.  Some would be discarded because the access to the spot was more costly, or because the site would make it impossible to hide all the "back of house" functions (service, parking, etc.). 

Looking at the chart above, I would be shocked if the winning entry is the one with the black, brown, or dark green clubhouse.  Those locations just seem to limit the number of starting and finishing holes available for use -- unless the layouts do not come back to the clubhouse at all.

Tom, looking at the map I would agree with you, however being a contestant and seeing the 3D version of the land it is not severe at all. The areas around the clubhouses you mentioned can indeed accommodate many starting and finishing holes.

Charlie, I am really grateful for your time and effort once again. I am really looking forward to seeing the other entries, as I think there will be some great imagination used and some clever routings.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »

Tom, looking at the map I would agree with you, however being a contestant and seeing the 3D version of the land it is not severe at all. The areas around the clubhouses you mentioned can indeed accommodate many starting and finishing holes.

Charlie, I am really grateful for your time and effort once again. I am really looking forward to seeing the other entries, as I think there will be some great imagination used and some clever routings.

Man, The guy wins one armchair contest, and now he thinks he can school Tom Doak! :o ::)

Andy Gray

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 01:48:17 AM »

Man, The guy wins one armchair contest, and now he thinks he can school Tom Doak! :o ::)

Well I am a pretty big deal around here! ;)  ;D

But seriously without seeing the 3D map I would look at that topo and completely agree with Tom.

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
 8) Other than the north flank of the property, the southern side west area has the largest flat area available on the site.. good for parking and the entry kiosks for the Goerges Open. 
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back