News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Trevino and Watson
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
Without going to Wikipedia; who won a Major more recently, Trevino or Watson?

I paid for the round.

Bob

Chip Gaskins

Re: Trevino and Watson
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
Watson, 82 US Open, Pebble Beach...

Now off to Wikipedia to see if I am correct :-)

Chip

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
I'll be counterintuitive and say Trevino.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
Didn't Trevino sneak in a PGA around 84 or so?

off to wiki as well

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
As expected, I was wrong  :P

Trevino....84 PGA at Shoal Creek.

Bob, what were you doing in Birmingham, AL back then?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
As expected, I was wrong  :P

Trevino....84 PGA at Shoal Creek.

Bob, what were you doing in Birmingham, AL back then?

Chip, I think he means he paid for losing the bet by buying a round!

Now that doesn't happen very often!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
I remembered Trevino, but to me the surprising thing is that Watson didn't sneak in another Open after 84.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Bob, you're slipping.  Watson won the 2007 Senior British Open.  That is a Major on the Champions Tour.

Michael Huber

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »
Bob, you're slipping.  Watson won the 2007 Senior British Open.  That is a Major on the Champions Tour.

Proof positive that you cant get anything past a rules official. 

Phil Benedict

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
Interesting to speculate how Trevino would do in the modern game considering his length (or lack thereof).  I think he would still win because of his ball-striking and competitive drive.

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
I think Trevino would have figured out at a younger age how to hit the ball farther. Its no secret why nearly everyone hits the ball out of sight today; thats what they focus on to start. I'll admit that when I work with Junior golfers, I teach power first. Then we'll figure out how to straighten it out. I can get Bubba Watson to hit it 25% straighter, I can't get Corey Pavin to hit is 25% farther. Those are key figures.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
I can get Bubba Watson to hit it 25% straighter.

I'm sure he'd be happy to let you!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
I think Trevino would have figured out at a younger age how to hit the ball farther. Its no secret why nearly everyone hits the ball out of sight today; thats what they focus on to start. I'll admit that when I work with Junior golfers, I teach power first. Then we'll figure out how to straighten it out. I can get Bubba Watson to hit it 25% straighter, I can't get Corey Pavin to hit is 25% farther. Those are key figures.

If you can get him to hit it 25% straighter than I am sure he would be knocking down your door.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »

John,

Hard to find a contemporary analogy to Trevino's career trajectory since he took up the game so late compared to most elite players. I think you are correct that he would have found a way to get longer - fitness, technique.  He was a great player - way better than someone like Jim Furyk who has had decent success without hitting it very far.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:45 PM »

John,

Hard to find a contemporary analogy to Trevino's career trajectory since he took up the game so late compared to most elite players. I think you are correct that he would have found a way to get longer - fitness, technique.  He was a great player - way better than someone like Jim Furyk who has had decent success without hitting it very far.

Phil-I think Trevino was as good a pressure player as there was in the game. He was used to gambling for big money when often he didn`t have enough in his pocket to pay off if he lost. He could hit all the shots(high,low,left,right) when required and had the balls to use them under pressure. As far as him adapting to a fitness regimen I don`t know. He is a champion cigarette smoker and bbq eater and I don`t think he has ever been within 500 yards of the fitness trailer.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »

John,

A Major is a tournament of note and and a great deal of history, sorry, the old folks game doesn't count in my mind.

Bob

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »

Watson won last years Open.

Anthony

Phil Benedict

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
Tim,

Fitness is so much a part of the prevailing golf ethos I have to believe that the great players of the past would adapt.  Jack and Arnie had tremendous natural strength but I don't think they lifted weights or anything else to build on their natual strength.  One of the swing gurus pointed out that Jack sacrificed power when he lost the weight, whereas today he could use a fitness program to restore the power without gaining the weight back.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
In the history of golf -- Lee was something to behold -- consider the first man to shoot sub-70 for all four rounds of the US Open.

Consider his magical 1971 season -- three national championships in a span of four weeks.

His last win at Shoal Creek was marvelous.

A consumate shotmaker -- the only blemish the attitude complex Lee had against the higher-ups at ANGC.

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
I sat next to Trevino on a plane to West Palm in the early 1990s.  He slept most of the way and I didn't want to bother him.   I guess he was in his early to mid 50's at the time.  The point is I couldn't get over the size of the guy's forearms!  They were simply massive.  Good think we were in first class or I wouldn't have had a prayer at that middle armrest!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
In the history of golf -- Lee was something to behold -- consider the first man to shoot sub-70 for all four rounds of the US Open.

Consider his magical 1971 season -- three national championships in a span of four weeks.

His last win at Shoal Creek was marvelous.

A consumate shotmaker -- the only blemish the attitude complex Lee had against the higher-ups at ANGC.

Matt-Your comments are right on. It seemed like he took every challenge in golf head on with the exception of his chances and the powers that be at ANGC.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
Interesting to speculate how Trevino would do in the modern game considering his length (or lack thereof).  I think he would still win because of his ball-striking and competitive drive.

Phil, Trevino was a long as he needed to be.  I watched him on the range at Augusta in the late 1980's, hitting his driver and bouncing balls into the net fronting Washington Road.  When chided by a younger player, I saw him his three straight drives that cleared the net, which must have been 40 feet tall.  He could also move the ball right to left better than you would think.  He convinced himself that he couldn't win at Augusta because he felt very uncomfortable there, not because the golf course favored a right to left tee shot. 

He would win in any era because he was a PLAYER.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
Hard to imagine that Lee's best finish at ANGC was 10th.

If only Lee had used the invites he had when he was peaking -- he just had a tough attitude to the folks running the show there.

From my conversations with Lee he always thought ANGC was overrated -- no doubt his personal history likely influenced his mindset.

If there's one player from the Nicklaus era that I believe could have really been a main competitor w Tiger it's Lee. He was the smoothest cat in relishing the underdog role -- who can ever forget Lee's tossing a fake snake at Jack prior to their playoff at Merion.

Priceless.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
Trevino obviously had a ton of game, and if given the chance in the modern day I doubt he would have any problem winning. I tend to believe that great athletes like Trevino, Watson, Jack, Tiger, etc... can find a way to win no matter what as if they are wired to do nothing but.

I do have to say that while a fantastic player, I find few other golf personalities more annoying than Trevino...shut up and hit the ball.  :P
H.P.S.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
Pat:

Lee's "act" was calculated.

Famous story when Jacklin and Lee were set to tee it up.

Jacklin said he preferred limited talking during the round.

Lee's comeback ... "Ok, I'll talk -- you just listen." :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back