News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Holt

Re: Reducing the number of clubs in the bag
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »
I certainly agree with a loft reduction but I am not sure about reducing the amount of clubs.  I dont mean that in a 'thats not fair' way either. 

Every year, like many clubs, ours has a 3 club comp- people still shoot gross 71s.  If someone is talented enough they will find the way- I suppose that may be what we are looking for in our champions as it does require far more skill.  What I am trying to say is that the very best players will still shoot low scores but the number of potential winners in any pro field would dramatically reduce.  Is that a good thing?  Yes to true champions, perhaps not to the unpredictability of the winner on a week to week basis.  Obvious argument to that is that TW wins most times he tees up anyway.

In terms of design (haven't read all posts) it would certainly bring more course back into play for Joe Public.  On links courses I dont think it would make much difference in terms of changes but certainly inland courses it would.  Forced carry's onto green sites, and quadrant sizes of greens would most certainly have to be altered I would have thought.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »
I agree with Sean Arble, fewer clubs means a better walk.  AS for the pros, Iwill underbid Chuck Brown and say 6 clubs (ex. Driver, 2 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron, wedge, and putter).  This would solve the multiple wedge problem AND force SHOTMAKING (i.e. controlling trajectories, shaping shots, and getting creative with swing lengths and speeds).

John Keenan

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »
Wade

A 2 Iron?   

For those interested the Walking Golfer had an interesting articlce by Joe Zuckerman on playing with less than 14 clubs. 

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/minimalist_golfer.html

Enjoy

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Richard Choi

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I would agree with those that limiting the number of clubs in the bag will affect the pro player far more than average hackers.

A long hitting pro is going to average 280+ yards. If you want even gap between the driving distance and a typical low wedge distance ~80 yards, that means with 13 clubs (+ putter), you will have 15 yards gaps between clubs.

A typical mid-handicapper drives only about 200 yards. This means that there is only about 10 yard gap between clubs for a typical hacker. To replicate the 15 yard gap between clubs, a mid-handicapper can get rid of 4 clubs. Which means we can go down to 10 club total rule and most golfers probably won't notice much difference.

But if you apply 10 club rule to the pros, you now have 22 yard gap between clubs. That is going to make their lives much more difficult.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »
I think they should leave the number of clubs at 14, but increase the number of players from one to two.

I mean, come on, this is a bit silly.  There's no way they'll EVER mess with this rule. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David_Tepper

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
Herbert Warren Wind wrote a nice article ("Europe In The Fall") in 1964 that covered a 7-club professional tournament held at Turnberry. Many of the top British professionals of that era competed. You can find the article in the HW Wind anthology Following Through. It is a good read.

It would be great if an event like this could take place one year in the "silly season." It would certainly be more interesting than watching another boring Skins Game.   

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
I think they should leave the number of clubs at 14, but increase the number of players from one to two.

I mean, come on, this is a bit silly.  There's no way they'll EVER mess with this rule. 

It's much more likely than bringing the ball back...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »

It's much more likely than bringing the ball back...

I doubt your premise, but even so, it's about as likely as Michelle Wie winning the Masters.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Lott

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
Ban the driver.

Minimum loft--16 degrees.

Lower allowed mass of clubhead.

It really would not be hard to "reign in" distance.

If you really wanted to.
David Lott

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 04:25:13 AM »
Another stupid idea to further reduce the popularity of golf. 14 clubs is fine, if people want to take less allow them but dont ruin it for those that want to take more.

Golf needs 1 thing, a tournament ball that restores the intent of the golf course so that the hazards are in range for the better/longer players. It does not need a reduced fight ball for the masses.

We are in the entertainment business, golf needs to be FUN...its the GCA word. Fun is aligned to making it easy.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jim_lewis

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »
I say eliminate the 14 club rule. As far as I'm concerned you can carry all the clubs you can afford and are willing to haul around. Won't help your score anyway. I don't give a damn if my opponent carries 20 clubs or 5. Too many rules in this world already. However, I prefer that you carry only one bag. I carry 4 wedges and I'm still always between clubs!!
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jud_T

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »
I think it's a great idea, but wouldn't those tour cart bags look even sillier with 8 club in 'em? :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back