News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Guyan (Strong) West Viriginia
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this layout that is attributed to Herbert Strong  ?   Which holes stand out.   Strong could do some wild greens, how are the approach shots and putting surfaces at Guyan

Thanks

Greg Tallman

Re: Guyan (Strong) West Viriginia
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this layout that is attributed to Herbert Strong  ?   Which holes stand out.   Strong could do some wild greens, how are the approach shots and putting surfaces at Guyan

Thanks

Mark, I have played Guyan many, many times. Hoentsly not that good of a course. There are a couple of green complexes that are out of the ordinary, most notably the 17th which is a relatively flat green almost completely encircled by a brow/mound that is about 2 to 2.5 feet tall and maybe 18 inches in width. Growing up in West Virginia it was easily the quirkiest thing I had ever seen.

Beyond that the I really never found the putting surfaces all that difficult. The other interesting green was the 14th which I believe has been completely redesigned now. It used to be a short par four with a blind green set at the bottom of a small swale and I believe there was a creek left and long (maybe only long left).

The "signature hole" was probably the 450ish ar 4 second rising probably at least 50 feet from tee to green. The apprach was somewhat gradual but still seemed you were climbing a mountain.

A couple of cool perched greens including the short par 4 third and the maddening "benched green" at the long par 3 (225) seventh where you almost had to try to hit it long and have it come back.

Best hole on the course may have been the par 4 16th a mid length par 4 dogleg left to a green falling away on all sides and near death left and long.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back