News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Trollies/pull carts
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
Ken,

Don't forget course maintenance issues like soil compaction, grass killing, paying workers to set and move cart directing signs, etc.

The USGA has written that carts cost more than any club charges for them, but the typical member here says the USGA is full of hot air, because they know better.

I have to assume it's the same math most CC boards use to conclude that the Food and Beverage operation is supporting the golf course.  It's been that way where I play for a long, long time.

They look at gross receipts, subtract food costs and labor for the kitchen and wait staff, and conclude that F&B is where you shold spen your money because it turns a profit.

Meanwhile the golf course budget is a river of red ink because not one dime of dues, guest fees, tournament fees, etc. ever show up as a line item.

EVERY club I have had intimate knowledge about over the last 35+years has come to the same conclusion--that expenditures on the clubhouse are great way to secure the club's future.  And they have pretty much all gone broke doing so.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
Tell them they are out of line with the rest of the the world. I don't think such stunts as walking fees or trolley bans exist anywhere outside the US.

Also, tell them that studies prove that carrying is a strain on the back and should not be done regularly. Myself, I often carry a light bag when playing a few quick holes, but use a trolley for quality rounds. There's just so much more stuff you can put in a trolley like extra water, rain gear, a full set of clubs, laser range finder, camera, a decent meal for those Sunday tournament rounds, ...

Riding a cart doesn't make much sense in my case. For me golf is not only a recreation, but also a sport that is an integral part of my fitness regime. So riding a cart would completely defeat the purpose of playing golf. I used to ride one particular course that had long distances between greens and tees and was very hilly, but have started to walk that one as well. Tell your club that I'm still alive :)

Ulrich

That's funny, Ulrich, I would have thought you were on the same "fitness regime" that I'm on!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 05:46:01 AM »
Bill, the sad truth is that I have to keep to a strict fitness regime and watch my eating habits just to keep up with people, who don't :)

So you can tell your club if even Ulrich walks courses such as St. Wendel, then everyone can do it :)

Way down there, at the base of the hill, is the 13th green. This is the trek up to the 14th tee, where, once you arrive, the cart riders will already have had lunch.

Ulrich

Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 06:29:34 AM »
I don't have a "fitness regime" but the first time I set foot on a golf course at age 33 it was to see if golf was something I'd find tolerable as a way to get some physical activity and get off the couch. So on the rare occasion when someone asks why I almost never use a golf cart, I tell them that I'm only in this for the exercise and riding defeats the whole purpose. That's only slightly untrue, actually.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back