News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: Golfweek 2010 lists
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »
There are holes on that golf course that are in the same discussion as 16 at CPC, 13 at Augusta, 10 at Friars Head, 11 at Pasa, 3 at National, 14 at Shinnecock, 4 at Bethpage, 7 at Sand Hills, etc. in the archtectural genius category...

Dave, can you tell us which ones and why? 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
Dave is quite correct the 7th and 11th are stellar holes -- frankly the 6th is not bad either.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:10 AM »
Face it Dave, You only feel that way because your private jet didn't stop in Holyoke.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Franklin

« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
Well, I'm thinking specifically about 7 and 11.  I've never seen anything like either one of them. 

You want me to describe genius with words?  That's above my pay grade for sure.   ;D

I'll see if I can dig up the old threads with pictures.  There was a whole thread on #7.

Again, Shivas hits the nail on the head. Absolute genius. And I didn't have a private jet either, but have been to Holyoke. There is some stellar stuff there too, but they are being rewarded with #5 in the Modern category. It is better than that though.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »
At least you are not back peddling on what course you would play everyday for the rest of your life. I am in the camp that I could play RCCC everyday and not tire of it.
Mr Hurricane

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:02 PM »
I have not been to Rock Creek Cattle but I have heard from a person who I believe to be knowledgeable that if there is an area where it may not be at the top of the list is par 5s - thoughts?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
I'll second Shivas. #3 has great angles of play, I loved it. #10 is the best of the bunch. As for #18, what's not to like about a chance to finish with an eagle-double bogey?
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Jerry:

The 18th at RC is the equivalent of CP's 18th -- it does provide a bit of a letdown given what precedes it.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: Golfweek 2010 lists - Where's Saucon Valley...
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
... because in the past (probably going back at least 10 years) they always had at least one if not two of their courses ranked in Golf Digest's listings, and among the best in PA.   After reading and re-reading GW's Modern and Classic lists I was, I think, somewhat surprised to not find SV anywhere anymore, but then again maybe they've been off the radar screen for awhile and I missed it.  If that's the case, what happened?  It's been awhile since i've played or been there.  Is it that others like Lehigh CC, Lancaster CC, and Rolling Green (to name a few in the Phila. area) have done more to "polish" off what's been hidden under the rough and behind the encroaching trees than Saucon Valley?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Wayne:

I don't view SV as being especially noteworthy -- at least for a top 100 position. Frankly, too much early pub went to the Grace Course which I am completely dumbfounded on what people saw there to be worthy of a long time former top 100 position with GD.

The Old Course is quite good but the bar for golf throughout the greater Phila area is quite high -- for SV to grab a top ten position among all courses in that area would be no small feat. A national rating, at least from the ones I have played, is just not doable -- simply because other area courses (see HV and to a lesser degree Lehigh) have received much less attention. There is also the profusion of solid new courses that have come onto the scene in the last 25 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back