News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

Re: Golf in San Francisco: USA Final Frontier Trip (Olympic Club update)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Perfect, I was hoping you would do Olympic Lake.  I am playing there Tuesday afternoon on my way up to Washington.  Kevin how were the new holes playing 7 and 8.  I especially can't wait for the burgerdogs.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
O Lake seems to be one major course there isn't a whole heap of pics of on GCA. I'd love if you could post any others you have.

Scott

Will see what I can do re: the pics am in th middle of The Riv. write-up

Kevin -

Nice tour of the O Club... sun is shining here today and I'm headed out for my first round of the year on the course (pathetic, I know).  Couple things - all which have been discussed ad nauseum here before:

+ Hole 8.  IMO plays 1 club too long for everyday play.  And take out that back bunker... as the only one of its kind on the course that can be seen (there's on #2 but it's not visible until you realize you're actually in it), it doesn't fit with the other 17 green complexes.

+ Trees.  Like it or not, it's part of the tradition and aura of the Lake course.  I'm glad that many have been cleared out within the past half-dozen years, as the turf conditions have improved dramatically.

Wayne

How did you go after the lay-off ?

I saw a photo history tour in the locker room and it was amazing to the the transformation of the course over time. Why are they finding the need to plant new seedlings ? is there a disease in some of the existing trees ?

PF

I cant comment on the old v new side of things but there was a thread on a "progression v vandalism" theme if you do a search.

The "new" 8th is a strong hole in line with the rest of the course. I wouldn't think there'd be too many played from the back bunker though ?

David_Tepper

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »
Kevin -

Why are they finding the need to plant new seedlings ? is there a disease in some of the existing trees ?

Most of the pine trees on the Lake Course were planted 80-90 years ago. The typical life span of those trees is not much more than that, which is the reason the new/replacement trees are being planted.

DT 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back