News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Re: What makes golf fun?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »
And the amount of time it takes to finish reacting is key. ;)

120 yard 5-irons
325 yard drives (sorry that is massive for me)
Missed 2 footers
Holed out 6 irons
Leaving it in the bunker... and holing the next one
Losing to someone and see it make their day
Beating a better player and making your day
Valet staff ripping your floor mats out... without unhooking them!!
Hitting it onto the beach... and watching it bounce back to the fairway
Hitting it down the middle... and watching it bound off an irrigation head into a hazard
Meeting people on the internet and having them fly 3000 miles to join you for a couple of days (now back to golf)
Shooting 86 in your state amateur event and proclaiming "that will never happen again"... as if
Having a 3 footer for birdie-3 in collegiate event at Luray Caverns VA... and making 11... ELEVEN! (14 putts in 2 holes MUST be a record)

And.... (drum roll please).........

Palm Trees and White Belts!

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »
A great 4 ball when everything is even going into 18.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »

The Course?
The Competition?
Playing Partners?
Location?
Proper Etiquitte?
The Clothes?

None of the above.

It's the inherent challenge of the game in the context that it's a reasonable AND an enjoyable challenge, given the various levels of abilities of the golfers.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »
-- Walking Wild Horse with Tom Huckaby and Mike Sweeney.

-- Definitely wind; I live in Nebraska.

-- The putting green at Wild Horse; especially when I take a buddy for the first time.

-- Any round with my brother and dad; but, my favorite was Prairie Dunes in the rain.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
Tony,

As you know, I love Wild Horse, especially when I don't have to play with Mike Sweeney and Tom Huckaby ;D

I'd add width to the universal equation.

Width accomodates all golfers and adds to the "fun" aspect, and Wild Horse has plenty of width.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 10:51:59 PM »
Flushing it at your intended target. 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
All good reasons why we love golf.  I'd add 'Anticipation' to the mix.  I'll never forget those 10 hr rides in the back of a station wagon with my sisters on our way to Disney World.   Nowadays the same rush is found leading up to golf trips with the likes of you guys!

I agree with Eric, especially at this station in life when rounds are too infrequent. Even if i'm going to be playing nine holes at the local muni I get a little giddy the night before. The exceptional experiences (golf trips, playing an outstanding course, etc...) are as close as we can get to those childhood moments where one night of sleep was too long to wait for what was to come. However, I do have two little ones and being able to witness their exciting moments is pretty special too.

I must say that even though I have a love and appreciation for exceptional golf courses and course architecture, they are not a prerequisite for truly enjoyable golf experiences. Good company, a perfect day, even the solitude of an empty course can be enough to create a great experience. All of this on an exceptional course can be a little slice of heaven.

John Moore II

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »

The Course?
The Competition?
Playing Partners?
Location?
Proper Etiquitte?
The Clothes?

None of the above.

It's the inherent challenge of the game in the context that it's a reasonable AND an enjoyable challenge, given the various levels of abilities of the golfers.

Deep, Very Deep.

I tend to think of my enjoyment as more shallow. I can't really describe it, but I just like to be on the golf course. Any course, any time, with just about any person, or with no one but myself. I've played some super nice golf courses, but I'd just as soon play the 'course up the street' as to play one of those. I just enjoy golf in all forms. Well, except for slow, I don't like slow golf. But other than that, I'm pretty much set that I like golf however it comes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back