News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Dupre

Courses of interest in the I-95 corridor?
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
I'm starting to plan a late April leisurely drive from Philadelphia to Tampa and back (have to start the process of moving my mother back north).  I fully intend to play golf, and have some ideas - both public and private - but they're based more on marketing than my own knowledge of what's architecturally interesting.

Where should I stop and play?

JESII

Re: Courses of interest in the I-95 corridor?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
Royal New Kent is only about 20 or 30 minutes off 95 just Southeast of Richmond - good place to get to on that trip.

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
Hey, Matt.

I'm a big fan of Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace -- maybe you've played there. Unfortunately Beechtree has closed (such a bummer -- that was a wonderful place) so that's no longer an option.

Bulle Rock is Pete Dye, and for me it was the course that really made me appreciate what he can do. I haven't played many Dye courses (certainly none of his acknowledged masterpieces) and generally tend more toward the lower-key, less manufactured style. But Bulle Rock really gave me an appreciation of what Pete can do with a good piece of land. The course looks like Pete Dye -- lots of shaping, dramatic falloffs, an 18th hole with water all down the left side a la 18 at Sawgrass. But it lays nicely on the landscape and has a bunch of really great holes. I always thought it was worth a visit when I was in the area.
R

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
Mattaponi Springs in Virginia is right off 95 and is really good.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
And right off 95 in Maryland is Mountain Branch.  I really like it.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
I think the reno work at Rock Manor is worth seeing, and it's right ON 95 just north of Wilmington, DE.  Also, Deerfield in DE is not too far off the hwy., and based on the photos that are here it's a course that I'd love to check-out if I still lived in the area.

WW

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
Well, Pinehurst is only about an hour off 95 towards the west. Certainly a good place to stop.

Golf Club at Savannah Harbor has been said to be pretty good. From what I have seen it looks good, I have never played it.

And once you're in Florida, there are any number of good courses all around, just depends on where you exit off.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
in the fredericksburg area I have always liked Cannon Ridge and Augustine.  Both are about 5 to 10 minutes off 95.  A newer course pretty close to the highway is Pendleton in VA.  Has some good holes in the woods, but some medicore holes as well.  As mentioned before Mattaponi Springs is the best course to play in VA that is anywhere near 95.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
Georgia

Sea Island
Jekyll Island
Brunswick CC

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »

Golf Club at Savannah Harbor has been said to be pretty good. From what I have seen it looks good, I have never played it.

IMO Savannah Harbor is OK..nothing that special.  The coolest thing about it is that it plays in the shadow of downtown Savannah, with the Savannah River Bridge looming over the west side of the property.  It also serves as the home of the Champions Tour Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf.  But as an interesting piece of golf architecture it is lacking.

Now--if you could access The Ford Plantation south of Savannah in Richmond Hill, that would be worth a look-around, and much closer to the interstate, to boot!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »
As mentioned before Mattaponi Springs is the best course to play in VA that is anywhere near 95.

Ahhhh Corey....

Have you ever played a little course 10 minutes from 95 in VA called Kinloch?  There are a couple folks that think it may just squeak by Matty Spgs.  For that matter Federal Club and CC of VA (both quite close to 95 in VA) are both a few Doak points above Matty.

JC

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
If you have access, several of the better private courses in Montgomery County, MD -- Congressional, Columbia, Burning Tree, Chevy Chase, Bethesda -- are very close to the northwestern part of the Beltway.  (Technically the signs for 95 take you the other direction around DC, but it's a practically identical distance.)  Schedules permitting, I'd be happy to host you at Bethesda CC, which is about five minutes from exit ramp to bag drop. 

Cory Lewis

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »
As mentioned before Mattaponi Springs is the best course to play in VA that is anywhere near 95.
Ahhhh Corey....
Have you ever played a little course 10 minutes from 95 in VA called Kinloch?  There are a couple folks that think it may just squeak by Matty Spgs.  For that matter Federal Club and CC of VA (both quite close to 95 in VA) are both a few Doak points above Matty.

Yes I've played Kinloch.  I was going for public only.  If you take 495 West around DC you can throw in Congressional, Bethesda, Burning Tree, Chevy Chase, and Columbia if you add in private clubs.  All less than ten minutes off 495.

Why does everybody put an e in my first name?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:16:17 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
The Federal Club is now public so there's no longer any access issues.

Matt Dupre

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I was thinking of Kinloch or Royal New Kent by Richmond, but need help down in the Carolinas and Florida.  Should I cut over to Pinehurst - and if so, what there? I've played #2 - or towards Hilton Head/Charleston/Savannah?  And any ideas between Jacksonville and Tampa?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
Between Jacksonville and Tampa try Deltona or Victoria Hills in Deland.

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Matt-If you've played #2, then I wouldn't bother making the drive over to Pinehurst. Unless you can get access to Dormie Club, Forest Creek or CCNC, that is. I really love Pine Needles, but I just wouldn't drive quite that far to play it if I had some place to be.

Check your private messages (top right corner of the screen just in case you don't know, I see you're new)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Corey, I have no idea why.   ;)

Or perhaps b/c Pavin uses an 'e'?   ;D

Will Peterson

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
In Jacksonville, St John's Golf and Country Club is about 2 miles from 95.  Next door is South Hampton.  Nothing spectacular but both good tracks, with St John's being a little bit better and a lot tougher.  The King and Bear and Slammer and Squire are right near 95 as well, but will be much more expensive.  The King and Bear is the better of the two.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

Corey, I have no idea why.   ;)

Or perhaps b/c Pavin uses an 'e'?   ;D

I wonder who is longer.

Between Jacksonville and Tampa is also Bridgewater in Lakeland - right on I4.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
If you want to see what all of the hype is about, you may want to check out Cobbs Creek in Philadelphia.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
Bulle Rock's off-season rates ($79) end on the 31st.  I'm looking to play there Saturday and would enjoy some company.  Contact me directly if you are interested.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »
Bulle Rock's off-season rates ($79) end on the 31st.  I'm looking to play there Saturday and would enjoy some company.  Contact me directly if you are interested.

Oh man, I'd love to but so much going on (I am getting married in April).  Rain check for when the rates go down again this fall?  :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »

Oh man, I'd love to but so much going on (I am getting married in April).  Rain check for when the rates go down again this fall?  :)

Justin, you really must get your priorities straight!

:) ;) ;D

J Sadowsky

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 07:45:35 AM »

Justin, you really must get your priorities straight!

:) ;) ;D

Hey, at least I'm getting married at a golf resort!  Iberostar Playa Paraiso, which has a P.B. Dye (I know, I know) course that one of the mags (I forgot which one) ranked #15 in the Carribean/Mexico, ahead of all of the Sandy Lane courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back