News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Did Furyk shank his second shot?
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Was Jim Furyk's second shot on the 72nd hole of the Transitions championship a cold blooded shank?  It sure looked like it from my perspective (living room couch) although none of the announcers (not even Johnny Miller) said a word.....

Thoughts?

-John

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Did Furyk shank his second shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
I thought they said it was the worst shot they've ever seen?  ;D

Could've been a shank, the backswing looked loopier than normal. Could've hit behind it a little and kicked some wood chips into the ball. Either way, it sure looked familiar.  ;D

Furyk handled it, and his post round interview, very well. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ted Cahill

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »
I believe he "jokingly" warned the spectators on his right to back up.  I think he doomed the shot there with the negative thoughts.  You have to admire his ability to save the hole after that shot- I thought we might witness a meltdown.

After he saved the hole, one of the announcers called Furyk a "true grinder".  That description mildly annoyed me. Furyk has won 14 times on the tour, including a US Open championship.  I would call that a great record.  When I think grinder, I think of a ten year veteran with a handful of T-10s to go with a back in victory at the Quad Cities event.  He is a top player, not a grinder....
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »
I believe he "jokingly" warned the spectators on his right to back up.  I think he doomed the shot there with the negative thoughts.  You have to admire his ability to save the hole after that shot- I thought we might witness a meltdown.

After he saved the hole, one of the announcers called Furyk a "true grinder".  That description mildly annoyed me. Furyk has won 14 times on the tour, including a US Open championship.  I would call that a great record.  When I think grinder, I think of a ten year veteran with a handful of T-10s to go with a back in victory at the Quad Cities event.  He is a top player, not a grinder....

ted,
i would consider it a compliment.
I consider a grinder someone who never gives up.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
Read John Feinstein's A Good Walk Spoiled.  He describes the PGA Tour grinder.  From his perspective, some of the best players on the tour are grinders.  Tom Kite and Corey Pavin were two big examples in the book.

Furyk is definitely a grinder.  He doesn't make the game look easy as Tiger, Ernie, Phil, or others might.  He just plays with his own style and works hard.  He gets the most out of what he has.  The ultimate grinder in the game today is Padraig Harrington, and he has won three majors!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »
A journeyman is the term you are thinking of, Cahill.  Grinder can be applied to Furyk or to submarine sandwiches in parts of New England.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ted Cahill

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:23 PM »
i have enjoyed a grinder sub in Chicago, as well.  Thanks for the help on the definition of grinder.  It is more clear to me now. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:17:43 AM »
I'm not entirely sure if it was a shank.  I am sure that is the fastest Maltbie has moved since the Seventies!  The ball went right over his head. 

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »

"**SI's David Walberg captured  the shank and lived to digitally transmit it back to SI headquarters."

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Read John Feinstein's A Good Walk Spoiled.  He describes the PGA Tour grinder.  From his perspective, some of the best players on the tour are grinders.  Tom Kite and Corey Pavin were two big examples in the book.

Furyk is definitely a grinder.  He doesn't make the game look easy as Tiger, Ernie, Phil, or others might.  He just plays with his own style and works hard.  He gets the most out of what he has.  The ultimate grinder in the game today is Padraig Harrington, and he has won three majors!
Agree 100% about Harrington being the ULTIMATE GRINDER.   I think the European Tour with its variety of conditions is a good Grinder Development Tour.  Furyk is second in the grinder department. 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Tiger is a pretty good grinder in terms of holding on to a decent round when he isn't at his best. 

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »
Tiger is a pretty good grinder in terms of holding on to a decent round when he isn't at his best. 
You are right, I usually consider a grinder as someone making par after par from rubbish, Tiger can grind out birdies!  But you are right, Tiger is a grinder ;)  was a grinder?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Martin Toal

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
About 20 years ago I played golf with an uncle at a nice course near Dublin. As we went down the 1st, we passed the practice ground, and there was a kid hitting long irons up the range. We played on, and came back round to the 9th and the same kid was hitting irons, this time from the opposite end of the range. This was in the days when you had a shag bag and picked up your own practice balls.  I asked my uncle who he was and he told me it was a young player called Paddy Harrington, and that he would be there until dark (another 3 or 4 hours).

About 10 years later I found myself standing at the baggage reclaim at Dublin Airport one Sunday evening and a guy asked me if bags from [somewhere] were on that belt. I said they were and he stepped up beside me. It was Paddy H, and while he waited for his golf bags and suitcase we chatted about his play at the event just finished and the upcoming majors.

He stayed talking to me even after his bags arrived until we finished the conversation. I was really struck by what a nice guy he was. I have heard similar stories from other people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »

ted,
i would consider it a compliment.
I consider a grinder someone who never gives up.

I agree with Jeff. A grinder is who you want as a partner in a four ball. The guy that may hit it all over the lot but can get it in the hole. I would give my vote to Seve as the ultimate grinder. While hitting his tee ball everywhere but in the fairway he won five majors. Who was more fun to watch than him?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back