News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: My club is in receivership.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »
Paul, I find that logic incredible.  Whoever wrote that newsletter should be  looking for a job - in a different business!

Actually, that's not even close to the insanity that you see and here from boards and committees at country clubs.

About a year ago my wife had to basically drag me away from a board member who emphatically stated that the club's financial statements proved that the F&B operation was subsidizing the golf course.  And that the golf course was a negative cash flow engine.

That was due to the goofy way most clubs keep the books.

F&B only has labor and cost of materials listed as costs, and total sales as income.  Not one dime of fixed costs such as the mortgage (which was used to build the clubhouse), utilities, taxes, etc. were charged to F&B.

All dues revenue goes into the admin budget.  That budget pays taxes, mortgage, utilities, etc.

Meanwhile the golf course budget shows all outflow, with no income. Not even guest fees or tournament fees are shown as golf course income.

It's stupid.  Virtually none of our members would be paying dues if this was a social club.

So we have special events to raise money for renovating the grill room, putting in several thousand dollar worth of window coverings, and new chairs while the golf course maintenence budget gets cut at every turn.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back