News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Pechanga- off the reservation
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »
Hi all,

I got the chance to play Barona and then Pechanga on Friday and thought I would share my take with you. Barona has been reviewed pretty extensively and I agree with all the other sentiments here. It's a fantastic course which is a joy to play.

On to Pechanga. We grabbed lunch in the clubhouse before we set out for our twilight time. I have to say the food might have been the best thing I got out of Pechanga. First off, the course was in great shape (Barona was too) and the bermuda greens were some of the grainiest I've ever seen but putted great.

I'd played one Arthur Hills design before, Black Gold GC in Yorba Linda. I thought that was a very good course with some very interesting holes. Pechanga has some similarities in that it's built on a hillside for parts of it, but this one got a little crazy. Also, the website advertises that there are 8 miles of cart paths on the course! It is definitely not walkable.

Hole 6, after a long drive in the cart up the side of a mountain, a 480 yard par 4 that drops 150 feet from tee to green and with the prevailing wind is, wait for it, driveable. It's a fun yet terrifying hole that is more about wowing players than challenging them. The last 80 yards of the hole funnel to the green so steeply that the ball will roll down onto the surface on it's own. I hit a drive with a weak fade and just missed driving the green because a divot stopped it.

Hole 7, a 480 yard driveable par 4 is followed by a 315 yard hole that is cutoff by a creek in front of a crazy shallow green. This one is somewhat downwind too but instead of giving real options on the tee shot, it's just a wide fairway split by a tree layup with an iron and a wedge to an unappealing green.

Hole 17, a 245 yard par 3 built into the side of a mountain. The green is like the 18th at Bay Hill's with a thin bunker in front and brush no more than 5 yards off the putting surface front, back and right. Once again, the priority in the design was no doubt to put the golfer in awe of the view rather than make the player think. Also, this one had a drive to the tee that was 3X as long as the hole itself.

There were other holes that had some major quirk as well and I will comment on them if they enter the discussion. Overall, I thought it was pretty interesting that Pechanga charges about 40% more on their green fees for an inferior course. I guess it's about appealing to the consumer and ease of access, but I left with the course falling short of my expectations.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:39:39 PM by Alex Miller »

Jon Spaulding

Re: Pechanga- off the reservation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
Well, Journey sure is better than the tripe ol' Artie served up on the other side of the 15 freeway, on arguably one of the better sites in SCA in the last few decades........

Hopefully you got the recession=buster rate they are offering....

I believe the greens are some form of hybrid bentgrass, and quite good when I was out there a couple months ago. Fully agree that the holes on the front you mention are a disaster, as is #17. Actually, the whole front 9 was basically a mess, other than #9 tee shot which was quite funky.

With Art Hills, very easy to focus on the negatives. Journey is better than either Cross Creek, HMB Ocean, Black Gold......solely on the strength of a few of the "better" holes.

#9 tee shot over OB fence, very interesting.

#10 was a drivable par 4 with a great looking green.

#11 is a solid par 5 with some nice playing angles., especially on the tee shot.

#12 was a good dogleg hole with some benefit for the aggressive angle.

#13 interesting par 5, good angles again.

#18 has an eye candy tee shot, but a Biarritz concept green. that was decently done.

Out of time, need to go watch the Pacific on hbo...

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »
You go Artie!

#9 Tee shot

#10 Green

#11 Tee Shot

#18 Green

Jed Peters

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
Call me crazy, but that looks like fun JS?

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
Call me crazy, but that looks like fun JS?

Quite fun, as are most rounds of golf. A synergistic merger of carts, liquor and golf shots from my vantage point.

Those are some of the highlights.

Alex's comments deal with some of the negatives, most of them on the front 9.

Aidan's last photo shows the 18th green, as well as some of the more annoying features of the front 9.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back