News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hellrung

Pablo Creek
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
I heard they are shutting down the course for a year.  Can anyone confirm if this is the case and why?

Joel_Stewart

Re: Pablo Creek
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
My god. It was built in 1996 and renovated 3-4 years ago. Club has more money than sense or it's chasing top 100 status.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
My god. It was built in 1996 and renovated 3-4 years ago. Club has more money than sense or it's chasing top 100 status.

aka the Merion model
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 06:18:49 AM »

It wasn't renovated 3-4yrs ago. The greens were regressed with Jones dwarf 10-12 years go, maybe more. This will be their first complete renovation. Their current Supt left Old Marsh allowing me to follow.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
Tangentially, do they really not have a functioning website?

David Harshbarger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »

Are you familiar with the inverse law of club exclusivity and web presence?  The more exclusive a club, the less developed their web presence.  For the most exclusive clubs, like Pine Valley and Cypress Point, they really don't have anything that needs to be shared.

If you have to ask (them), you don't need to know.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
David Duval might know some details about the  current  renovation as he is/was a member at Pablo Creek.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 12:37:37 AM »

Are you familiar with the inverse law of club exclusivity and web presence?  The more exclusive a club, the less developed their web presence.  For the most exclusive clubs, like Pine Valley and Cypress Point, they really don't have anything that needs to be shared.

What do you mean? [size=78%]https://cypresspointcc.com/[/size]  ;D

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »

What do you mean? [size=78%]https://cypresspointcc.com/[/size]  ;D

Wrong Cypress Point, Matt. Some clubs just do not want a presence on the web. They cherish their exclusivity.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
What do you mean they don't have a website.

Here it is? http://pablocreekclub.com/about.html

What else do you need?  ;D

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »
I think they're re-grassing tees, approaches, and green surrounds with Zoysia, rebuilding their greens and bunkers. The golf course, as I understand, won't change much - if any.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
Fazio is doing the work. Course will reopen in October. No news articles about the project anywhere. Extremely private club. Six figure initiation fee.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 04:02:32 PM »
I think they're re-grassing tees, approaches, and green surrounds with Zoysia, rebuilding their greens and bunkers. The golf course, as I understand, won't change much - if any.
Zoysia tees, apps and shortcut surrounds. Tifeagle greens, tiftuff rough & Celebration fairways.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 07:36:46 AM »

Having played there a number of times over the past few times, it was clear that they suffered multiple bouts of turf stress throughout the course. Anthony's list of various replacement grasses represents a smart shift to modern, more playable, more disease and adverse weather-resistant strains. It's a shrewd move IMO.

It is one of my favorite Fazio designs for a variety of reasons. Never once do you see his prototypical maximal features, instead the routing and course feels far more intimate, natural and sporty.  The green complexes include plenty of the usual Fax tiering and angulation against the fairways, yet aren't over-the-top or excessively penal. The club, as others have noted, is quite private but without any off-putting airs.

FWIW...I don't think this is a club chasing anything, other than playability and pleasure for its members and guests.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »

Video of Holes 9 & 18 @ Pablo Creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K7kaZ2Eg50

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back