News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

What if you hate the course?
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
If you are an architect and are hosted at a course by a proud member and you do not like the course, what do you say when the member asks "What do you think?"

Sean Leary

Re: What if you hate the course?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
Call it the "finest course of its kind"
;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
You say something like "interesting, fun, challenging"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:15:03 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
"unique"  :) ;D
H.P.S.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
I would try to say something about one or two things I did like and would try to avoid mentioning the disappointing aspects at all. If backed into a corner concerning my opinion of something I did not like I would couch it as a personal opinion and not a dismissal of the course all together.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:19 AM »
Tell them the conditioning was nice, greens putted true.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
A course I really like went through a major renovation. When I went out to see it I was disappointed in the direction they choose. There were some things that were well done and I made sure I pointed a few out to my friend. When asked my opinion overall, I asked about the philosophical change of direction and what the architect’s rationale was. It was explained to me in detail. I said that we don’t seem to share the same philisophical view.

There is no point in spending time criticizing the work because the club has spent a great deal of time and money on the project. It’s done. But as an architect you need to be careful in what we say since criticism can be thought to represent bitternessfor not getting the work. It’s why many architects avoid this forum and most never offer criticism in public.

I originally thought the club’s choice was a good one, but I the more I have seen of his work, the more I know we have a major philosophical difference of opinion.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »
I originally thought the club’s choice was a good one, but I the more I have seen of his work, the more I know we have a major philosophical difference of opinion.

Well I suppose you could truthfully say that they made an excellent choice of architect to implement their new philosophy. That of course leaves unexamined the question of whether that philosophy is in whole or part attributable to the influence of their chosen architect but nothing to be gained from that discussion.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »
I said that we don’t seem to share the same philisophical view.

Ian:

I like that response.  As much as we debate what we like and do not like on this site, as long as the changes are made pursuant to well thought out plan, it does really boil down to a philisophical view.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
I wish I could get away with saying platitudes, but with my reputation being what it is, every time I try to pull my punches, people seem even more offended than if I just tell them honestly what I thought.

I don't often get into critiquing a course hole by hole, though.  I will only get down to that level of detail if the course is good enough that there are just one or two things that really detract from it.  [That's one reason we spend so much time arguing about the "bad holes" at Pebble Beach.]  If it is more than that, generally I will just show my host one particular feature that's bothering me and explain why, and leave him to figure out that the same thing is true of damn near every other hole!  ;)

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »
Not to derail what is being talked about, but to go with the title of the thread, what do you do if you're invited by a member of an exclusive club and you flat out think the place is trash? Its the same deal, more or less. I was thankful that during all my time as a professional that I never played a club as a guest of the pro and was asked what I thought about a less than stellar course. It would have put me in a tough situation.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Just tell them that you enjoyed the company, if the guy was a dick and the course was bad you can tell them to go piss up a rope.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
well, it's not what I would have done (RW)

Tim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »
Not being known for my political  correctness, I would probably assume that one never asks a question if he doesn't want to hear the answer.  So, to get out of sticking my foot in my mouth,  I'd ask him what were his favorite aspects and why.  Then ask him "what if..." It's amazing how many times you can see the light  bulb go on ".... I never looked at it that way....". 

If it was to comment on another architects work, probably be on the same page as Ian. At that point  it's all about preference. And, even at that point, even if you point out the errors of their way, it's not likely they would A)admit you were right or B) do anything about it.
Coasting is a downhill process

David_Elvins

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
If you are an architect and are hosted at a course by a proud member and you do not like the course, what do you say when the member asks "What do you think?"
Am not an architect but in this situation I normally insult their wife.  they take it a lot better.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
"Sean Leahy would absolutely love this place".
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »
Am not an architect but in this situation I normally insult their wife.  they take it a lot better.

;D

Dan Boerger

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
Tom Doak -- Good for you!

If someone asks for an opinion, I would hope they would be mature enough to weather an honest answer and, perhaps more importantly, understand that it's all just an opinion.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back