News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: internal green contours ...when do they become too small
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »
 8) ;D 8)

thanks gentlemen for all your courteous replies to my rantings.  Yes Jim Kennedy to your query , the 8th is goofy . One day  we got into some lively discussion about it in the grill room there. My playing partners were both members and the proprietor was in the house so did my best to be courteous ( by the way I really enjoy playing the golf course with my friends despite my dissaffection for the 8th )

The owner (Roger Hanson) was nearby when someone baited me as to my newest  LOL opinion on #8. Trying to low key the conversation , knowing Roger was within earshot, I deferentially and quietly  said that although Coore and Crenshaw are two of my favorite architects now working , I just don't "get" the hole.  By now I was well into my fourth or fifth pint of draft lager, which by the way was quite cold!

Another local golf "guru" sensing that he had me in a tenuous position asked me if I birdied my favorite hole ???? I answered no .  Really he grinned at which time one of my playing partners dogged me and told him I knocked it on and three jacked it.  Laugihing , the other antagonist said see  "risk reward baby" and the game was on.

But of course I reminded him that two out of three of my buddies three putted also ,  and the third made a ten footer for par after being twenty feet in two. The pin that day was back center left in a really nasty spot .  There was almost no chance to get your first putt close unless you were under the hole on the left , and  even then it was really hard. to keep it on the shelf.  Sooooooooooo, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Some greens are overdone.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:55:04 PM by archie_struthers »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
...and in that case I would say that when they are smaller than a golf ball and cover less distance than a foot they might be too small...

Can contours this small really last?  I would think just foot traffic and mowers would smooth them into the general slope over time.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JESII

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
Joe,

I have no idea...but if the comments on this thread about triple breaking five footers are true, and the break(s) were unseen, than they're pretty small...like a foot print maybe...hey Archie, it is the soggy spring time, might you have hit a foot print or two to cause this angst?

8 at Hidden Creek is severe, but it's 300 yards and I've hit the 9th in two every time I've played it...with irons a couple times...so I think the three-putt might have cost our boy something more valuable than a single stroke...

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
Archie,
You and two out of three of your buddies should enjoy your several drafts out at the practice green.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Greg Chambers

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
An internal green contour becomes too small when the mower gets hung up on it and scalps.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

archie_struthers

Re: internal green contours ...when do they become too small New
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
 8) :o 8)

Sully probably have played eight at Hidden Creek  twenty times at least , but it's not footprints

Now dogs , you equate my disaffection for certain greens means that my putting stinks ......in the immortal words of moe larry and curly I represent that remark....really  I do

so you feel that an occasional three putt on what I think is a goofy green means I'm blaming the green ....yeah I am ...do I really care as long as we are all playing the same course ...not at alll ....that you think  my opinion on this subject has anything to do with my putting ...nooooooooooo chance.... ... ....we'll go to the hardest greens at Galloway when they are at warp speed and see who can handle the flat stick ....hope the greenheads are biting cause they won't bother me

and Mr Kennedy , we enjoy drinking some drafts on the putting green and  I'm sorry you don't understand the subject near as well as I do....  if you want to make a wager on three putting the 8th at Hidden Creek if we place the pin and your ball on the green ...you can get as much action here at the Shore as you  could possibly want
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:54:23 PM by archie_struthers »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back