News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Update #2 Olympic Golf in Brazil
« on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
This is what I am hearing..... not to be carved in stone.
1. An Olympic Golf Commitee has been formed and I beleive there are 3 members
2. A new course will be built and the land has been selected, some ocean front I understand
3. The course will be public without any residential
4. Their current task is to find an exceutive director
5. Its not decided who is going to pay for the course..possibilities are the International Olympics fund, goverment of Brazil, or the PGA.
Conclusions.....deciding number five will have a lot influence on the out come of the selected architect with influence coming from number four and number one.
PGA administration officials were or are there for meetings.
Lots of scenarios can still come out of this!!

Tom_Doak

Re: Update #2 Olympic Golf in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
That sounds like the piece of land I saw when I was there.  If so, "oceanfront" is a bit too strong of a word ... there is a lagoon and a beach strip between the golf and the ocean.  But it's good land for a course.

Great news ... especially if you happen to know someone on the committee.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
Will there be pressure from the powers that be for the designer to have Brazilian ties?

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
Tom,
I have not seen the site but know the Brazilians and fiqured it would be something like you described at best, just not a lot of prime area near Rio, but as you know exsisting land forms are important but not everything because with a little imagination.......

Sam,
I think that will depend on who pays. If it is the goverment of Brazil, there could be. However, when you have a zillion dollar olympic budget and your going on wolrd stage, do you want to take the risk of creating anything below world class or standards and leave the door open for critics. The only direct Brazilian ties would be Dan Blankenship, he was the shaper for the course in Buzio that PB Dye did more than 10 years ago and could be fifteen. He resides in Brazil now and has done about ten or fifteen courses, one has gotten some regonition and is suppose to be an incredible piece of land. He lived there for a while and did a design build scenario because the land was so strong...some call it the pebble beach of Brazil. My opinion is, he is someone that could be involved and could strengthen a lot of teams but lacks the experience to take the lead role on such a grand stage. But I am not one of the three on the committee!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:20:00 AM by Randy Thompson »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:22:03 PM »
I recently hear a talk by Steve Mona (Golf 2020) and it struck me that he (Steve) may very well be in the hunt for that Executive Director position...not sure, it was just an intuition.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back