News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Westhampton (Beach) Country Club answers for doubters
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »
Bottom of the map shown in the other thread says:

"Rough drawing of present course taken from Seth J. Raynor’s original mapo which hangs in the proshop (at that time)"

the 9th hole is based on the .......  At Lido - Barker?? how could Barker come up with this one - I'll post a photo of the Lido hole and the WH  tomorrow

the Short is prototypical   Macd / Raynor       - check it on Google Earth for details - huge green

I have a blurb that states:

"Raynor, assisted by former Garden City Golf Club Professional, H. H. Barker, responded with a 6171-yard layout that incorporated architectural ideas based on outstanding hole of the British Isles."

Then from the club histor

Westhampton Country Club 100 Year History
by Hampton P. Howell

page 73

Chapter II THE CLUB ON POTUNK LANE - 1915-1944

A. 1915 to 1930

(I’ll skip some of the less impoortant stuff - mostly about who owned which lots and such)

By 1913 pressure had grown for an 180-hole course, and also such and such wanted his land back etc. (which they had been using elsewhere).   Various locations were discussed .... blah blah blah .   It was finally decided to, however, to put the clubhouse where it is now situated.  (Discussions about issues in the meetings here).

William C. Atwater, Sr. Purchased the property for $122,000 and leased it to the Club for $5,478 a year under a 10-year lease plan, also loaning $60,000 to build the course. James C Rosser came over from England and supervised the construction in 1915. As the Stock Exchange was closed in the early days of World War I, several of the members William Pell, brother in law of Henry Howell worked as laborers on the course at $4 a day.

The course itself was designed by Seth J. Raynor and constructed by Charles L. House, Princeton ‘09 and nephew of Lucius Beers, included digging of the drainage canal along the 4th and 10th holes. Mr. House also built the West Bay pool in 1915 (g b: whatever that is). Mr. Raynor had designed courses under Charles Blair MacDonald (sic), who laid out the National Golf Links.

The property for the 1st, 18th 2nd and 17th holes of the Westhampton course was purchased from the West Bay Co and E H Bishop ..... it then document who owned other portions of the course from “who” etc ..... a long paragraph ensued about this stuff.

Seth J. Raynor’s original map shows a course of 6171 yards whereas today’s course is 6393: it then goes on to list each hole’s yardage according to SETH J. RAYNOR’S MAP    This paragraph continues, noting the various changes to the original course over the years

a write up form the Hampton Chronicle followed and then the club history moved on to their social history         

I think there is such detailed information in this club history to satisfy anyone (and I cut out a lot of minusha)

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Phil_the_Author

Re: Westhampton (Beach) Country Club answers for doubters
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
Wonderful research George!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back