News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Demetriou

RCCC vs. Cornerstone
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
I'm curious, are there any here who have played BOTH RCCC and Cornerstone? I have never been to RCCC, and don't know much about it, but I'm wondering if there are any similarities between the two.

I played Cornerstone last year, and was blown away by the course. I recognize that many here will instantly ignore it because it is a Norman design, but I thoroughly enjoyed the walk, and absolutely loved the green complexes. Knowing a bit about Mr. Doak's courses, and considering the terrain, climate and vistas, and I'm guessing that some parallels may exist.

Can anyone comment?

Jim Franklin

Re: RCCC vs. Cornerstone
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
Andy Troeger has played both and I believe Matt Ward has as well.
Mr Hurricane

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
You could certainly make comparisons between Rock Creek and Cornerstone. They are both in mountainous regions but neither are mountain courses. Cornerstone is at much higher elevation, so even though its longer the yardage is a little deceiving.

Cornerstone is very good--it has a good variety of holes, good greens, and a nice setting. Norman used some creativity in the design--perhaps nothing totally new but everything "works." The course will get better as it matures--I remember they have aprons on the greens that are cut between green and fairway cut--it was a bit odd to me because these areas were rather soft last year when it would seem they should be firm. The staff mentioned that this would come in time.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think Rock Creek is exceptional. It does all of the things Cornerstone does well and goes beyond most of them. The greens are better, the creativity and variety from tee to green is also better. Cornerstone has nothing of the quality of #10 and 11 at RCCC for example. I would argue that Cornerstone does deserve mention in the bottom part of the Top 100 Modern, but RCCC should be in the top 5/10.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »
Mike:

Cornerstone is a fine layout but it can't sniff the likes of Rock Creek. Night and day apart.

Andy, is being generous in seeing Cornerstone making a bottom position in a top 100 modern -- there are more worthy examples that can earn that spot than Cornerstone in my mind -- Four Mile Ranch, a nearby layout in Canon City, would be a far better choice in my mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back