News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

CC of Fairfield
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
This club was founded in 1914 by a group of very wealthy men from Fairfield and NYC, including Oliver Gould Jennings of Standard Oil. They purchased 100 acres on their own and then got the town of Fairfield to lease them another 58 acres for $1 per year for 200 years. There was reclamation of the sound involved in the project - in 1915 it was reported $80,000 had been spent on one hole alone - but no more than some of the other major reclamation projects at the time (like Lido, Timber Point, Sea Island, Colony, etc).

Why did it take 7 years to have the course ready for play?

George_Bahto

Re: CC of Fairfield
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
massive landfill patterned after the Lido project - even the shape of the lagoon Raynor built for Jennings looked like the Lido lagoon

Tom WW I falls right into the story as well - work ceased and started slowly after the war effort

I believe CCF had only half the usable land to built a full course.

They even had Barnum and Bailey circus animals helping on the project (elephants)  - the circus was housed in Bridgeport off season

I believe they even built a mini railroad to transfer fill barged in from Long Island to spread the material.

I've always thought the Lido project had a RR built into it but could never verify that? anyone have info on that ??
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
George
Lido and CC of Fairfield began basically at the same time in 1914. Lido was done in the Spring of 1917; CC of Fairfield wasn't ready until 1921 (three years after the war ended). Why did it take so much longer to build?

Have you been able to find any reports on the CC of Fairfield project between 1915 and 1921?

George_Bahto

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »
Tom -  CCF did not have the $$ of the Lido project and perhaps they just moved slower.

some of my Raynor-book text on CCF:

Jennings bought up the necessary land and in early March of 1914 he leased the "hummocks, salt meadow, march and beach" for a period of time "not to exceed 200 years from April 1, 1914."; the cost of the lease? One dollar per year!

He certainly had vision but the work a t hand would take years to complete.  Undoubtedly Oliver Gould Jennings must have heard of the landfill operation Macdonald and Raynor were involved in at Lido for here along this marshland a similar operation would be needed.  “ There began the huge task of pumping, filling and diking the tidal marsh.  Most of the fill came from the bottom of Seaport Harbor.”  Once the fill of the land reach proper proportions, top soil was needed to grow fine turf.  This was imported from various point on Long Island and a rail system was built on site and a steam locomotive was employed to pull oil-laden flatcars to distribute soil over the property. Workmen from the Barnum and Bailey circus crews, who were headquartered at nearby Bridgeport were employed as part of the construction crews and campsite were set up on the beach to house them.

1917 saw the United States enter World War I and the work on the course slowed down to a crawl but did not stop. By 1920 twelve holes had been completed and the first formal meeting of the Club was held June  29.  A year later, on July 2, 1921, with all eighteen holes complete, the course was officially opened for play; nearly eight years later.

There was nothing I have ever seen about CCF explaning the length esides the enormity of their project. I think there might be more taht was done at CCF than you might think - again not the finanical jackers.

Lido had all the big guys

"Spearheading the sizeable group of investors headed by Winthrop, were Paul Kravath, Thomas Cuyler, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Robert Goelet, Charles Sabin, Henry Bull, W. Forbes Morgan, James Stillman, Harry Paine Whitney and the ever-present Otto Kahn. Many of these men, and others who would later join them, were already members at the National, of Piping Rock, Nassau, Garden City and of Sleepy Hollow as well. This was the wealth of the northeast United States."
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »
George
I found this article in the Washington Post. By March 1915 they had spent $80,000 (not to mention what they spent on purchased of the waterfront location) and were planning to spend another $200,000. That was a lot of money back then. I'd say these guys deep pockets themselves.

Unlike Lido I don't get the impression Fairfield was flat featureless site, which is why they pumped in all the sand at Lido. It sounds like Fairfield was more of limited land reclamation and not complete artificial recontouring. There has got be more the story as to why it took seven or eight years to build.

Have you found any reports from 1915 to 1921 that explain the progress or lack there of?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back