News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

The California Club (TCC) is a unique “gentlemen’s” club in San Francisco. I was introduced to two very fine members via a friend and they quickly became “great mates”. My “mates” provided a wonderful experience to match this mightily impressive layout.

I couldn’t believe how close TCC was to the SFO Airport. Literally, it’s only a few blocks from exiting the terminal and the drive down the entrance lane to the clubhouse reminded me of that at Stoke Park in England. The historic clubhouse remains a constant backdrop throughout the round and the décor within is certainly “grand” – I loved the views out onto the course itself plus the atmosphere within the confines of the golfers bar are something to behold.

The course has undergone a significant restoration / redesign through Kyle Phillips and I must say (not having seen the original) he has done a marvellous job with what he has put in the ground. It’s probably the best work I have seen from his firm: Kingsbarns and Dundonald being two GB&I courses that I have seen in the past.

TCC has some interesting topography changes as it winds its way around the property. I found the F9 whilst moving up and downhill affords much fewer side hill lies than the B9 which primarily moves across certain ridges – most notably the “new” 7th which in my mind was close to the best hole on the property. Ran has done a great review and pictorial comparing the old v new routing – I certainly recommend one read same.

Holes I noted:

1st = (P5: 530yds) is a gentle opener that takes one away from the clubhouse back towards the entrance. The hole progressively narrows and is well protected by bunkers including a flanking bunker and a cant in the fairway poses enough questions on the golfer who hasn’t warmed up. The green has quite a steep back right to front left slope.

3rd = (P4: 435yds)  is a lovely downhill dogleg right P4 that was created in the “controversial” process of the moving of the driving range to where the old 8th was located behind the clubhouse. Phillips move was a masterstroke as he created a dramatic shot that encourages the player to open their shoulders when rather the best line to the green is as close to the fairway bunkers as possible.

5th = (P4: 340yds) requires a drive of accuracy and not necessarily length as I found out. The green is set at a very oblique angle to the fairway and doesn’t have much depth so a full spinning shot may be a better option than a mere flip of a half wedge-SW as I certainly found out.

6th = (P3: 195yds) requires a exact shot on a high and exposed part of the layout and is quite tricky with the green sloping away from the golfer on the tee.

7th = (P4: 410yds) is a completely new cape hole on previously unused section of the property and probably my favourite on the course. The hole swings sharply to the right and the golfer is then faced with a tricky downhill approach – the risk v reward angles on this hole are amazing. A tip: don’t be long on your approach.

12th = (P3: 230yds) plays across a gully to a green that is angled right to left – notably in the same direction as the prevailing breeze. The green is well protected by bunkers and one can play a low running shot into the undulating green.

15th = (P5: 513yds) plays uphill and one has to be careful not to catch the left fairway bunkers off the classic risk v reward line off the drive. There are some deep centreline bunkers short of the green which need to be avoided as do those fronting the green.

16th = (P3: 130yds) is a downhill and has a very narrow offset green that is well protected by bunkers.

17th = (P5: 560yds) is a great P5 that requires a drive over a hill then the hole progressively becomes more difficult the closer you get to the green. One should be advised to land their lengthy approach short and let the contours feed the ball onto the green.

The bunkering is very thoughtful and I really liked the terrain and angles changes into and on the green

18th = (P4: 410yds) the approach shot is one of the more memorable on the course and whereas the 17th favours a fade into the green this hole certainly favours the opposite. The green has some lovely little contours and is well protected by an array of bunkers. Interestingly there used to be a pond short left of this hole and it was removed during the construction process.

TCC is a great course and for mine should be very much in the mix of discussion for “the best“ course in San Francisco. If this course is not considered by those who play it among the elite of golf courses in California and in turn World then I’d be very surprised. For mine – the mix of holes, the terrain changes combined with the quality and variety of holes (particularly the P3’s and P5’s) and relative wide fairway corridors make this course immensely “playable” for all levels of golfers.

The club should be congratulated for the wonderful vision it provided in setting the course up for many years to come and Kyle Phillips has done a superb job.

Long considered by many as the poor cousin to SFGC and the Olympic Club in the region – it may very well now be - the Grand Daddy of them all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:37:16 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Niall Hay

Re: Golf in San Francisco: USA Final Frontier Trip (The Cal Club)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
Kevin, incredible pics. Thanks again!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »
Great stuff! 

Are you prepared to rank the courses you saw in the U.S.? 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
Because GOD KNOWS we need more rankings...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
how about . . . to tell us which courses you enjoyed the most?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
Cal Club is amazing, IMO best course in San Francisco.  Kyle Phillips and team did and amazing job and Al J. should be thrilled with his hard work making it happen.  Truly an amazing place!

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
Kevin,

Another great set of photos, thanks for sharing.

Where would you like to go back to play?

Cheers, Ash

John Blain

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
Cal Club is amazing, IMO best course in San Francisco.  Kyle Phillips and team did and amazing job and Al J. should be thrilled with his hard work making it happen.  Truly an amazing place!

Can't agree more. My wife and I were out there the last week in November and played Cordevalle, Pasatiempo, SFGC and Cal Club. No disrepect to the other three but Cal Club blew us away.

Just an amazing place.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

Carl

With certianly no dissrespect to the people I met on the trip or to any of the courses I saw - there were 9 courses that stood out for me:

Pine Valley
Sand Hills
Cypress Point
Pacific Dunes
Old Macdonald
Shinnecock Hills
National Golf Links of America
Merion (East)
Fishers Island

I could find a way to give them all 10/10.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:30:52 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
another great post Kevin -it looks like Kyle Phillips has doen a terrific job.
The changes in levels of topography - what was the walk like? travel between greens to tees - were they affected greatly in the updated layout?
Brett
@theflatsticker

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Cal Club last week and, like JP, was blown away.  I have a hard time finding fault with anything at Cal Club, it's just a rock solid course from beginning to end.  I really enjoyed the area around 11-12-18 that kind of bleed together.  Kudos to Kyle P. on a job well done.

A few pics:

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
Brett M. -

The course is very walkable. In fact there is one hole on the front 9 where the green and the following tee box blend together, which is a cool feature.

At the risk of disagreeing with many, the 7th hole was among my least favorite on the course. I am not a fan of golf holes that play along the spine of ridge. The tee shot on this hole is played into a very strong afternoon wind in the summertime. It is also played into the setting sun.

DT

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

The changes in levels of topography - what was the walk like? travel between greens to tees - were they affected greatly in the updated layout?
Brett

Brett

I found the course much easier to walk than SFGC which has some huge elevation changes. The movements from green to tee at TCC are short enough.

The layout's routing hasn't changed a great deal other than the area of 3 through 4. It's gone from a 3-4-4 combination to a 4-5 and the insertion of the new 7th. Ponds that were in place short of the 18th and 11th have been removed completely.

Jim

14th green / 7th tee  / 11th approach ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:00:51 PM by Kevin Pallier »

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Brett -

The only time a cart comes in handy on the course is getting from the clubhouse/1st tee area out to the new driving range and back. It must be at least 300 yards each way.

As Kevin noted in his post, the old driving range was incorporated into a new hole on the front 9.

DT 

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »

12th = (P3: 230yds) plays across a gully to a green that is angled right to left – notably in the same direction as the prevailing breeze. The green is well protected by bunkers and one can play a low running shot into the undulating green.

Kevin,

Thanks again for a wonderful photo tour and review.  They have all been amazing.  If you have other pics you're especially fond of, I'd urge you to post them.

Also, in the pic of 12 above, does the hole play over the fairway of the previous hole (the 11th green appears to be directly to the right in the photo)?  If so, that is soooo cool.

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
Also, in the pic of 12 above, does the hole play over the fairway of the previous hole (the 11th green appears to be directly to the right in the photo)?  If so, that is soooo cool.

George

You are right in the sense that the 11th green is to the right of the photo of the 12th tee but it doesn't really affect those off the 12th.

The 11th returns to the clubhouse at the bottom of Jims photo and the 12th tee is above it and the 18th green is off to the left of same. If you look at my last pic of the 18th you will see guys teeing off on the 12th. As Jim says it is a great section of property the 11-12-18 mix. I would have thought that's it's even better now without the water ?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »

Carl

With certianly no dissrespect to the people I met on the trip or to any of the courses I saw - there were 9 courses that stood out for me:

Pine Valley
Sand Hills
Cypress Point
Pacific Dunes
Old Macdonald
Shinnecock Hills
National Golf Links of America
Merion (East)
Fishers Island

I could find a way to give them all 10/10.

That's quite a list!  What a great trip. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
Kevin,

Where would you like to go back to play?

Cheers, Ash

Ash

If I could - I would go back to all of the places I visited for a variety of different reasons:

NY = and Long Island in particular for the sheer quality of golf courses in such close proximity
PA/NJ = for the fact that I experienced a lot of rain there and there was a large number of courses that I didn't see but would have liked to
Central = Sand Hills & Ballyneal - need I say more ?
N/West = Bandon is such a special golfing place
California = the weather and quality of golf courses are amazing
and I haven't even mentioned the company  ;D

Ash Towe

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  I think our experiences have been very similar.

The next question is would you choose  a weeks golf anywhere in the US over a weeks golf anywhere in GB and Ireland, you are allowed to move around in this hypothetical question.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
Geez Ash you like asking tough questions....

I think I'd plum for Fife as a visit to the home of golf is always good for the soul. I love the ground game and imagination that comes with Links golf and I could then go to North Berwick amongst others around Lothian.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
KP - the traditions of the game outweigh the likes of Cypress or sandhills or PV or Long Island - impressive?
Does it win by much - maybe 1 up? :)

Although I could play Nth Berwick as my home club very happily!
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »
KP,

Have you cropped those pics, or do you have a setting on your camera that takes extra-wide pics? They look great that shape, really suits golf hole pics, I reckon.

John Cornish

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:39 AM »

6th = (P3: 195yds) requires a exact shot on a high and exposed part of the layout and is quite tricky with the green sloping away from the golfer on the tee.

6th hole - what a great 'city' backdrop for a par 3. It's a really tough shot to hit the ball high enough to carry the distance and to hold the green.

The Cal Club is an amazing place and and I concur with Kevin that it's a wonderful place to play golf. Having not played the course PRE changes, I found it hard to picture my hosts description of the holes as they were but the end result is triumphate, certainly an equal to SFGC if you get the chance while in the Bay area. Great photo's, great memories.

Jim Thornton

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »
I couldn't agree more with those that say Cal Club now sits atop the list of all the great courses in SF....it's that good.

Last summer, I played SFGC, Olympic Lake, and Cal Club on consecutive days and the one that I still daydream about is Cal Club.  It is a magical place, and I don't use that word lightly.

Jim

Ash Towe

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
Kevin,

I know its a tough question but not many have had your range of experiences.  Also I have an idea of what you like which adds great value , for me, to your opinion.
Thanks very much for your reply.  Got start thinking about the next question. ;D
By the way do think NSW is a tough walk.  Just a thought re another thread, no hijack intended.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back