News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Barnbougle, Doak/Clayts & Dr. Mackenzie bunkers?
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:21 AM »
after my second reading of Bryan's excellent essay/thread on Barnbougle, and playing St. Andrews Beach yesterday - I wanted to pose the following question:
Supposing - After Doak/Clayts completed routing and lengths for Barnbougle Dunes, how different would Barnbougle be, IF Alistair Mackenzie was bought in to layout, shape, form and style the bunkering (as he did at the Heath?) ? The coastal "Irish" nature of the dunes, would this have produced a different style than Tom and his team did? - it  would of course have turned out differently - both strategically and aesthetically, would it more fun or less fun?

Particularly my favourite holes 3,4,7,9,10,12,13,15,17 (is that too many favourites? 6 is a fav also - but no bunkering)

And if he had done this, and then went onto Cypress Point -  it also would of course have turned out differently - both strategically and aesthetically, but how?

Your thoughts are of interest...
Brett
@theflatsticker

RJ_Daley

Re: Barnbougle, Doak/Clayts & Dr. Mackenzie bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »
I truly wish I had a real world actual experience of having played BD.  But, in oogling the photos for several years now, particularly the ones on the BD web site shot in hero light, I'd guess that the Good Dr., would not have presented as exciting of a course in that he might have 'melted down' the terrain to a bit more subtlety.   

I think that Doak/Clayts and the crew that built BD exceeded what might have been presented there by MacKenzie by a factor of (X)? 

Mainly, I'd base that on the fact that a fellow like Doak has seriously studied MacKenzie and has the advantage of all the history that came after Mac., and more design perspectives than Dr. Mac had in an earlier, developing era.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back