News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

14th Hole at Cork GC through the years
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
There is a bit of research going on at the club at the moment for a couple of different projects and a few photographs from the past are being unearthed as a result.

I'm just posting how the 14th hole has changed over the years.

The 1932 photograph was very interesting, as I always wondered why the greens on the back nine didn't have the same amount of movement as the greens on the front nine, but here we can see that in 1932 the 14th green had quite a lot of movement but was flattened by 1952.

1932 Irish Open, it looks like there is a lot of movement, particularly at the front of the green

1952 Cork Scratch Cup, looks like the green is much flatter.

Looking down from the 1st fairway in the early 50's

The Hennessy Tournament in 1959, again it's very evident here how much slope has been removed since 1932, it also appears from where the gallery is situated on the left hand side that the 3 greenside bunkers mave have been removed between 1952 and 1959

A similar angle as 1959 taken in the recent cold snap where the added bunkers can be seen

Another recent picture showing the relatively flat nature of the green

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

Re: 14th Hole at Cork GC through the years
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
Not exactly what you think of when you think of a "Mackenzie green!"

Do the members at Cork treasure their Mackenzie connection?  Do they participate in the Mackenzie Cup?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
Bill

The strange thing is the green in 1932 has some movement quite reminiscent of MacKenzie's 'wave' style but it's not really a big amount or an amount that would be deemed as controversial and less then the movement on other greens on the course. So the question that has intrigued me is why was the green flattened out? Clubhouse burnt down in 1945 so records were lost, so it's a bit of a mystery.

We do participate in the MacKenzie Cup, we're hosting this year. I've played a few times myself.

The MacKenzie connection is important. The bunker styling was never one of his more elaborate stylings and was changed in the 80's but hopefully we'll be going back shortly. His essence is still very much in evidence as these two pictures of the 7th show, one from 1927 and a more recent one.

Contours are basically the same, just a little extra growth, but hopefully that will be addressed as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Bill

The strange thing is the green in 1932 has some movement quite reminiscent of MacKenzie's 'wave' style but it's not really a big amount or an amount that would be deemed as controversial and less then the movement on other greens on the course. So the question that has intrigued me is why was the green flattened out? Clubhouse burnt down in 1945 so records were lost, so it's a bit of a mystery.

We do participate in the MacKenzie Cup, we're hosting this year. I've played a few times myself.

The MacKenzie connection is important. The bunker styling was never one of his more elaborate stylings and was changed in the 80's but hopefully we'll be going back shortly. His essence is still very much in evidence as these two pictures of the 7th show, one from 1927 and a more recent one.

Contours are basically the same, just a little extra growth, but hopefully that will be addressed as well.

That is a lovely photo!

A couple of my oldest friends are members of the Valley Club; I'll see if they are coming and get you hooked up!  Nick Leefe will no doubt be there from Alwoodley as well.  What are the dates?

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
Bill

It's August 21st-24th, already looking forward to it.

- Pablo Picasso

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:47:34 AM »
Padraig, Please get with Michael Barrett and ask him if the green would be better with a severe slope similar to #3 at the venerable Glenville Golf Club. Another belly laugh I promise.

By the way - did Michael grow up on Cork GC? Why was he such a crap putter?  :)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »
Padraig thanks for sharing these.  Are the club aware of the following searchable archives?

http://search.la84foundation.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&proxycustom=<HOME/> 

http://www.usgamuseum.com/researchers/

Unfortunately “Cork” brings up a lot of irrelevant info for you.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
Padraig, Please get with Michael Barrett and ask him if the green would be better with a severe slope similar to #3 at the venerable Glenville Golf Club. Another belly laugh I promise.

By the way - did Michael grow up on Cork GC? Why was he such a crap putter?  :)

Greg, Mickey is from Mitchelstown which is where he learnt his golf. There were quite a few golfers from Cork (also known as Little Island) with a putting stroke known as 'the Island jab', so there is no guarantee he would have been a better putter!!!
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Padraig thanks for sharing these.  Are the club aware of the following searchable archives?

http://search.la84foundation.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&proxycustom=<HOME/> 

http://www.usgamuseum.com/researchers/

Unfortunately “Cork” brings up a lot of irrelevant info for you.

Tony, I had a quick look and will have a better look later on, thanks.

- Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back