News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Woodger

Jack once threw a club.
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
http://www.standrews.org.uk/The-Courses/The-Old-Course.aspx

If you click on the image of Jack in the yellow jumper/sweater you will see some serious club throwing in the video. I love the fact they both take cover as you see it flash through the picture. I bet the green keeper was delighted!  ;D

John Moore II

Re: Jack once threw a club.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I've thrown them higher and farther than that.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
hahah

my record was 60ft up a tree. I had to go back a week later after the wind had blown it down for me.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »
hahah

my record was 60ft up a tree. I had to go back a week later after the wind had blown it down for me.
Yeah, I've gotten them stuck in trees a few times. Never 60 feet up though.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
when did he toss it in similar fashion (clue - on an occasion not nearly as historic)?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
Maybe Tiger was trying to match Jack re: his visit to KH last year in another category  ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
 I once threw a wedge in an office tourney that helicoptered and hit a tree bending the shaft. It became the trophy for future office tournies.
AKA Mayday

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »
I once threw a wedge in an office tourney that helicoptered and hit a tree bending the shaft. It became the trophy for future office tournies.

Oddly enough I've never broken a club that way. I usually aimed them away from the trees though. Broken clubs lots of other ways though.

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
 The club did not break; it was bent. But instead of getting a new shaft I agreed to donate it as the trophy.
AKA Mayday

Matthew Runde

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »
It may be safer to throw the club, rather than hang on to it.  Yesterday, my father and I were at the range, and the guy next to us hit a lousy shot with his last ball.  He lifted the club above his head as though he were about to ax the club into the ground.  He started to bring the club down, but at the last minute, he stopped himself.  The club kept going a little and hit his foot or his leg, and he made some interesting noises as he bent over in pain.  I was laughing like crazy inside, while I did my best to watch him without watching him.  He stood there for a long time, then limped toward the clubhouse.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Cool article about Jack vs Arnie from LAtimes here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/11/sports/sp-62open11

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:47 PM »

Jack brooke a CAR WINDSHIELD ONE TIME DURING ROAD RAGE. wAY AFTER ONE FLEW OVER THR COO COONESTS.

aNTHONY

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »
It may be safer to throw the club, rather than hang on to it.  Yesterday, my father and I were at the range, and the guy next to us hit a lousy shot with his last ball.  He lifted the club above his head as though he were about to ax the club into the ground.  He started to bring the club down, but at the last minute, he stopped himself.  The club kept going a little and hit his foot or his leg, and he made some interesting noises as he bent over in pain.  I was laughing like crazy inside, while I did my best to watch him without watching him.  He stood there for a long time, then limped toward the clubhouse.

You've got a real problem if you are throwing temper tantrums over meaningless shots at the range.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kenny Baer

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »
when did he toss it in similar fashion (clue - on an occasion not nearly as historic)?

At St. Andrews in 95; he got stuck in Hell bunker?  Is that the par 5 hole on the back?  I think he made a 10; he actually battled back to make the cut that year, the year Daly won.

David Whitmer

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
I was playing at Inverness about 15 years ago on October 31...that time of year in Toledo can be pretty chilly, and it was this particular time. We were on the 16th tee, and a guy in our group hit a poor shot and wanted to throw his club at his bag. Well, it was so cold his hands failed him, he held on to the club longer than he wanted, and when he finally let go it whizzed right by me, missing my head by inches. It broke as it hit a tree trunk behind me. Since then I have never ever thrown a club, even in frustration on the ground. After cleaning my shorts I vowed never to be THAT guy...it looks bad.

I know competitors need to vent their frustration a little. I have found the best way to do it for me is to walk away by myself and call myself every name in the book.

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:45 AM »

At St. Andrews in 95; he got stuck in Hell bunker?  Is that the par 5 hole on the back?  I think he made a 10; he actually battled back to make the cut that year, the year Daly won.

half credit Kenny.....that was more of a sideways pitch by Jack...

the other one I am talking about is almost exactly like his St Andrews throw...

Tim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
I knew a corp. recruiter who used a round of golf to determine an applicants Real personality.  He said there was nothing like watching how someone handled themselves on a course - that any fasade would fall.  He said he could tell more about a person in 4 hrs on the course than in a year on the job.  God help anyone who improved their lie.
Coasting is a downhill process

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
Jack threw a club?  Nobody tried to ban him from playing in tournaments here or over there?  Jack threw a club?  He coulda killed somebody!  Jack had a temper?  He probably had a bunch of girlfriends.  That, according to the logic of some...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
Has anybody even bothered to watch the video?

This was the famous putter-toss into the air on the 72nd hole that we've all seen a thousand times before.

It's roughly the same ettiquite breach as throwing a beer in the air and screaming "woo-hoo!" after a hole in one.

It's certainly not in the same league as flying into a tirade and flinging clubs into the crowd in anger.  Not even close.  Half-truths parading around as the complete truth might even be more dangerous than outlight lies because they have an air of believability, at least on the surface...

Hate when the facts get in the way of a good rant!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Chuck Brown

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
Good lord that doesn't even count!  Club throwing?

There is, however, the legend of Jack getting suspended from junior play at Scioto for a month for throwing a club in anger, right?  What was Jack then -- 12?  13?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
What facts?  The fact that Jack's club toss was in jubiliation, as opposed to vile anger?

Terry, there's a difference between an excessive celebration penalty and a game misconduct.

Do I really need to go back into the archives and find your defense of excessive celebrants?   ;)

Dave,

You misread my post; I was poking fun at my failure to watch the video.

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Good lord that doesn't even count!  Club throwing?

There is, however, the legend of Jack getting suspended from junior play at Scioto for a month for throwing a club in anger, right?  What was Jack then -- 12?  13?

i never heard of that one Chucak...be interesting to see if anyohe else has

another clue for my quiz:  it was in the 1980s when Jack tossed the club in similarly jubilant fashion (i knew TOC toss was in joy, Shivas ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back