News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Best City for "Affordable" Non-Resort Public Golf
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
To parallel the other "best" city thread, what city do you consider tops for quality non-resort public golf? 

Sam Morrow

Re: Best City for "Affordable" Non-Resort Public Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »
What do we consider affordable? I'll nominate San Antonio anyway.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
"What's Affordable?"  That's a whole another Thread.  However, still think Chicago makes the grade, especially since there really aren't any "resorts" (although a few claim to be).
Coasting is a downhill process

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »
Madison, GA
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Have to say that Lincoln, NE is pretty good in this category. After 2:00, ride 18 for $25 the last few years.

http://lincoln.ne.gov/city/parks/golf/courses/index.htm

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Isn't this the entire marketing concept of Myrtle Beach?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
For the sake of this thread let's say "affordable" is less than $100 per round.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »
Cincinnati and No. Kentucky would have to be in the mix. Lots of very good munies for les than $30.00 walking, $40.00 riding. Top end is Lassing Pointe at about $34.00 walking and $50.00 riding. A few daily fees (Elks Run, for ex.) in that same range.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
Isn't this the entire marketing concept of Myrtle Beach?

Ed,

It is, but MB is can actually get pretty pricey in season for many of its courses.  I would also, for this thread label MB, Hilton Head, Pinehurst, etc. as resorts.

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
I think Phoenix is up there,especially for locals. The advent of golfnow.com,email specials,the Troon Card and the Southwest PGA pass have dramatically lowered the costs for the better courses in the area,particulary now that some former private courses now allow limited public play.

The formerly private Superstition Mountain and even Quintero are quality courses that now allow limited public play. Southern Dunes is now fully public.

On the public side, Vista Verde, Raven at Verrado, GC of Estrella,TSN, Whirlwind, Wigwam Gold and Red, Longbow and some others are quality courses. WeKoPa, Grayhawk and Troon North offer much lower rates off season and/or for locals.

Of course, Papago and Aguila among the munis are other quality courses.

I recently played Red Lawrence's Estrella Mountain for $27 via golfnow. It's an interesting architecual study and a little rough around the edges but worth a play.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:36:58 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
As I said before on the other thread...Indy is a pretty solid choice.
H.P.S.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
As I said before on the other thread...Indy is a pretty solid choice.

Agreed, Indianapolis seems to fly under the radar for a city with great variety of public golf.  The private side isn't so bad either!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
When I lived there (~10 years ago) I thought the Denver area was full of wonderful, affordable public options. Some of the newer courses may not be as affordable, I'm not sure--but as far as I remember it was only very few that topped $100.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »
I'm with Pat on this one.  Only a handful of courses are even in the "expensive" price range.  The Northern suburbs alone has something like 10 courses that are in the Doak 5 area.

Another possibility would be Auburn/Opelika Alabama.  If you live down there the 2 national courses are well under 50(and even less if you go to the Cow College).

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
When I lived there (~10 years ago) I thought the Denver area was full of wonderful, affordable public options. Some of the newer courses may not be as affordable, I'm not sure--but as far as I remember it was only very few that topped $100.

I lived in Denver for the past 6 years and loved the public golf availability and for the most part, the prices.  You could always find a deal, especially playing in the afternoon.  My favorite deal was playing Deer Creek Golf Club (near 470 and Kipling) for $25 w/ cart after 2-4 PM, depending on time of year. 

I recently moved to Charleston and was excited about the opportunity for year round golf, and cheaper prices as a whole.  I have found that the prices exceed that of similar courses in Denver, and that the courses are far more crowded and b/c of this, are in rougher playing conditions.  I live about 2 minutes away from the "muni" and can hardly find a time where it is not completely packed and a round will take 5 hours...I know that Charleston has had a rough winter, but so far I'm very disappointed in the golf options.   

I wish there were more courses that offered reasonable annual passes.  My Dad purchases a pass to a golf course in AR for about $1800 a year (which can be paid monthly...they offer it a bit cheaper if paid in full) and that included unlimited golf walking or with a cart and unlimited use of the range.  Why aren't there more offerings like this?  Is $1800 a reasonable yearly fee based on operating costs for the course? 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and Baltimore

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »

I lived in Denver for the past 6 years and loved the public golf availability and for the most part, the prices.  You could always find a deal, especially playing in the afternoon.  My favorite deal was playing Deer Creek Golf Club (near 470 and Kipling) for $25 w/ cart after 2-4 PM, depending on time of year. 

I recently moved to Charleston and was excited about the opportunity for year round golf, and cheaper prices as a whole.  I have found that the prices exceed that of similar courses in Denver, and that the courses are far more crowded and b/c of this, are in rougher playing conditions.  I live about 2 minutes away from the "muni" and can hardly find a time where it is not completely packed and a round will take 5 hours...I know that Charleston has had a rough winter, but so far I'm very disappointed in the golf options.   

I wish there were more courses that offered reasonable annual passes.  My Dad purchases a pass to a golf course in AR for about $1800 a year (which can be paid monthly...they offer it a bit cheaper if paid in full) and that included unlimited golf walking or with a cart and unlimited use of the range.  Why aren't there more offerings like this?  Is $1800 a reasonable yearly fee based on operating costs for the course? 

I always enjoyed that Deer Creek course, as well.

Not just public access courses, but really good munis throughout the Denver area. I was an Aurora resident and had access to Meadow Hills, Saddle Rock, and (briefly) Murphy Creek. The Meadows is an excellent muni. South Suburban and Lone Tree are ... above average anyway.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
If $100 is the limit, Williamsburg has some pretty good options.

WW

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
Green Lake, WI.

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
Another vote for Denver. 

Well actually, my vote is for the I-25 corridor from C. Springs to Denver.  As a cadet at Camp USAFA, I played all over the place. I always had a solid choice at a decent price.  With the addition of a few other joints (namely Four Mile Ranch and CommonGround), the front range of Colorado is doing quite well. I have also found that getting a game at the "high end" private courses is much easier in Colorado than any other place I've lived.

John Moore II

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »
Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and Baltimore

I have to second SLC (Surprised Kalen hasn't commented). But of the two courses I've played there, both were very solid and very affordable. Thanksgiving Point was the most expensive at $65 I think (don't remember, I didn't pay since I was a humble guest of the pro). And from what I understand, there are a good number of other very good courses in the area.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »
Another vote for Denver. 

Well actually, my vote is for the I-25 corridor from C. Springs to Denver.  As a cadet at Camp USAFA, I played all over the place. I always had a solid choice at a decent price.  With the addition of a few other joints (namely Four Mile Ranch and CommonGround), the front range of Colorado is doing quite well. I have also found that getting a game at the "high end" private courses is much easier in Colorado than any other place I've lived.

As a cadet were you able to play the Academy courses? I attended camps there two summers and found the Blue to be one of the most enjoyable courses in the state. The silver was a fun course, too, but paled in comparison.

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »
Another vote for Denver. 

As a cadet were you able to play the Academy courses? I attended camps there two summers and found the Blue to be one of the most enjoyable courses in the state. The silver was a fun course, too, but paled in comparison.

Matthew,

Weekday rate for cadets (walking) was $4.  I took up golf when I decided it was the best way to make rank in the Air Force ;D.  My favorite was the Blue course, one of the RTJ's I like. 

Being a cadet also had a few other niceties.  Lots of successful grads live in the local area.  And there were many invites to cool courses thrown out to random cadets out on the links at Eisenhower.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
$100 a round is not affordable. That skewed mindset boggles mine. Lincoln Ne. Jumped in my head. Oregon and Washington state use to have a great reputation for this category. Not sure if it still holds true. $35 is affordable in my estimation.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
I grew up in Indianapolis, and Indy has to rank in the top 3.  Especially for Twilight golf you can't beat it, there are over 10 good golf courses you can play for $40 bucks or less during twilight.

The Trophy Club
The Fort
Purgatory
Heartland Crossing
Eagle Creek
Rock Hollow
Bear Slide
Brookshire (My home course)
Bent Tree
Ironwood GC
River Glen
Prairie View

That is 12 golf courses that are fun to play all for a great price

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back