News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

New Mexico Public Golf -- GolfWeek Article
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/mar/15/new-mexico-land-quality-public-access-golf/

GolfWeek article about New Mexico public access golf courses.

Ben Sims

Re: New Mexico Public Golf -- GolfWeek Article
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
It's a remarkable combination they have in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.  I think it might be the per capita public golf capital of the US--especially with Tom D's addition at Black Mesa. 

Scratch that, Bandon wins per capita.  But The I-25 corridor of New Mexico is pretty special.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Andy,

As you mentioned in the "Local Recommendations" thread, the public courses are better than the privates.  This along with some of the best food anywhere, have NM on my list for a trip soon!

Mark

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
When is Tom D's Black Mesa contribution going to be completed? I will wait to make my pilgrimmage then.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
For those who have not been I second what Ben mentioned -- the I-25 corridor is quite special -- top public play options at reasonable rates plus some of the best food and scenery and people you could hope to meet anywhere.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Are you sure the article was not in CartBallWeek? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
How long is the golf season along the I-25 corridor?

I am guessing there is snow on the ground over the winter in Santa Fe. What are the winters like in Alburquerque?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Well deserved praise for some of the best public facilities in the country.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
How long is the golf season along the I-25 corridor?

I am guessing there is snow on the ground over the winter in Santa Fe. What are the winters like in Alburquerque?

David,
Winters tend to vary greatly depending on elevation. As you stated, there can be snow on the ground in Santa Fe--although certainly not all the time. Snow tends to stay on north facing slopes much longer than areas that get direct sunlight. Albuquerque tends to miss out on most of the snow--courses here are generally open year round although the average winter high is only 45-50 degrees. There are plenty of playable days, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend visitors come to play golf. Paa-Ko Ridge is located on the back side of the mountain, they are closed from Dec-Feb.

Las Cruces is warmer, but there isn't much worth playing down there sadly.

Jim,
No word on the second course at Black Mesa that I've heard. Maybe Pat Brockwell will chime in if there's anything to report.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back